Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ReaperAA

AMD returns to the top end in GPU race

First, AMD gained the single threaded CPU performance throne with the Ryzen 5000. And now this.

AMD RX 6000 series is here and boy do the have quite the performance. For many generations, they were behind Nvidia in the GPU race but AMD has finally reached Nvidia's top end performance level. AMD is really doing great right now.

I will never understand people who root for their favorite tech brands the way they would root for a sports team. Then again, I have a hard time justifying why rooting for a sports team is any less silly.

@AndrewB I really prefer to be like that, it's help the tech market to grow instead of being a monopoly from only 1 side and the other being show like the other less favorable options.

It's not like it's was like 2010. Where all was Intel Epic and AMD cooking temperatures memes. Rigth now all sides (GPU and CPU) areas all better that other years if not was for AMD interference of bring they tech to new levels instead. If not we will get CPU and GPU that's don't make significative changes.

But yeah, that only my take, as i also dislike famboys that's spreedmisinformation for both sides.

Calling Ryzen a i10k killer it's really a take on this. They are both powerful for they got. Only need to know what do you want to use.

1 minute ago, AndrewB said:

I will never understand people who root for their favorite tech brands the way they would root for a sports team. Then again, I have a hard time justifying why rooting for a sports team is any less silly.

I am not rooting with anyone here. I even made a similar thread about Nvidia's RTX 3000 some weeks ago. I am only praising AMD right now for their recent comebacks after being the inferior brand for a long time

And I agree that no one should be fanboy of any company. The only thing I am fanboy of is "price-to-performance" and "best bang for buck"

Now the million dollar question - will GL support stop being crap on their hardware once and for all too?

Neat, now it's wait for benchmarks and reviews, save some money, and start planning on my big hardware upgrade for this decade...

28 minutes ago, jamondemarnatural said:

@AndrewB I really prefer to be like that, it's help the tech market to grow instead of being a monopoly from only 1 side and the other being show like the other less favorable options.

This makes a lot of sense.

5 hours ago, Mayomancer said:

Neat, now it's wait for benchmarks and reviews, save some money, and start planning on my big hardware upgrade for this decade...

Or grab a 5000 series on the cheap this Black Friday. 

I've been an Nvidia fan for years, but I will absolutely jump ship if the competition gets better. I'm very glad that theres no longer one good option.

7 hours ago, AndrewB said:

Some of us just are glad that both Intel and Nvidia have actual competition for our wallet. Both have for far too long held pretty much a monopoly on their respective tech fields, and Intel is really suffering for it compared to AMD while Nvidia now has a competitor offering similar cards for cheaper prices.

It's a good thing for both the industry and for us consumers.

8 hours ago, seed said:

Now the million dollar question - will GL support stop being crap on their hardware once and for all too?

Now that Vulkan and DX12 are here there's about a 0% chance of this happening.  One AMD employee that works on the Linux driver has stated that they consider OpenGL on Windows to be for Minecraft and professional applications only.  So unless the AAA games industry suddenly shifts to OpenGL don't expect any real changes to the Windows OpenGL driver.  So the existence of Vulkan means this will never happen.

The best hope would be that Zink's performance improves to the point where it's worthwhile to port that to Windows and just use that.

I didn't know AMD cards had shit OpenGL performance. That might be a deal breaker for me with the applications I run.

The OpenGL did see some performance improvements, but yeah the AMD GPUs usually seem to have like 10-20 percentish lower performance on OpenGL that an equivalent Nvidia GPU.

So I'll keep on buying Nvidia then because it supports all three well. Come on AMD, step up your OpenGL support to match or better your rival and maybe I'll get one of your cards :p

10-20 percent seems pretty huge. Yikes. That sucks, because I'd love to jump ship to support any competition to Nvidia.

10 hours ago, seed said:

It's never been here on Tuxtopia. AMD support is merged into the Linux kernel source tree itself.

Then I suppose I will not be moving to AMD for video cards either.

Sorry but I love my GL games and apps, AMD, so as long as you can't offer me that I'm staying on NVIDIA.

I'll be buying your CPUs tho 👍.

Though from what I have read online, the OpenGL performance is much better on Linux.

14 hours ago, seed said:

Which OGL  programs do you use that you think will somehow turn out better when RX6000 is released with new drivers?

Don't say GZDoom.

4 hours ago, M_W said:

I didn't know AMD cards had shit OpenGL performance. That might be a deal breaker for me with the applications I run.

They may perform worse but i do reckon some hyperbole is included aswell. Unless examples show otherwise, then i stand corrected.

4 hours ago, ReaperAA said:

The OpenGL did see some performance improvements, but yeah the AMD GPUs usually seem to have like 10-20 percentish lower performance on OpenGL that an equivalent Nvidia GPU.

In which modern games are we talking about?

Im kinda tired of hearing this metric without anything to verify. Esp when most modern titles are DX11/12 and Vulkan and OGL is more and more a legacy product.

As for the presentation:

• Very little details on how they accelerate rays. Supposely there is an accelerator, but i feel they dont use a dedicated core for traversal.
  • Infinity Cache is interesting, an idea lifted from their Instinct card and Intel with their Crystalwell eDRAM. Remains to be seen how much bandwidth it has and what it is used for, but the fact all announced models have it and 16 GB GDDR6 means Team Red is banking hard on this feature.

The real question after this, for me, is... Can I now buy a fucking RTX 3080, or am I going to have do a "Taken"-style rescue/revenge mission against a scalper still?

Also, well done AMD. It's about time GPUs were a competitive scene at the top end again.

2 hours ago, ReaperAA said:

Though from what I have read online, the OpenGL performance is much better on Linux.

Yeah, because the Linux driver is open-source and has seen many contributions from people in this area, while the Windows one is not, and AMD has repeatedly shown very little interest in even fixing GL bugs, which take forever to get patched, if at all.

2 hours ago, Spectre01 said:

But which demanding OpenGL applications are left where 10-20% performance would make a huge difference?

Specifically about games, that would be most GL-based ones in existence, both newer and old.

For some of them it's not a dead end as some have seen fan patches that allow changing between different APIs, such as Unreal and the original Deus Ex, while others are stuck with GL for good.

I've read that various emulators that use GL also run abysmally on AMD cards.

On 10/28/2020 at 6:44 PM, AndrewB said:

this. it's just dumb. buy whatever product serves you well.

this being said, i thought of upgrading from my rtx 2080 to a 3080, but haven't been able to get one at a reasonable price.

so if rdna2 offers similar rasterization performance AND is available, my next card could be a 6800xt

(i know ampere is better at raytracing, but frame rates vs cost concerns me more)

whatever, no need to hurry. see proper benchmarks first.

regarding cpu, i could build a new system with a ryzen 5000 for this card, but with all the losses due to the covid crap, i guess the new card should run well enough with my current 9700k until zen4 is out in 2 years, using ddr5 memory, or whatever intel has at that point in time.

best thing is still, that new box will still run classic doom a lot.

Edited by Pirx

Healthy competition is nice to see. Before the Nvidia announcement my 1070 gave the ghost. I grabbed a 2070 super. Could care less about losing out on x performance for y amount of money.

I should totally yeet myself for things that weren't even out yet. Great wisdom internet comments.