Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
KILLA DIO

Send me your wads and i wont play them

4 hours ago, Deathclaw886 said:

is this a poke at me?

I think it’s a general parody, iirc there have been at decent handful of “give me your wads”/“I’ll play and record your wads” type threads 

The way I see it there are 4 outcomes: 1, I send the wad and you don't play it. 2, I don't send the wad and you don't play it. 3, I don't send the wad and you DO play it, or 4, I do send the wad, but later on you forget it was sent, see it elsewhere and end up playing it. The ultimate status of you playing it or not doesn't depend on whether or not I send the wad, but rather that you play it sometime before you die, meaning that we cannot know if you will end up playing it until that day. This leads me to believe that, until we have confirmation that you will or will not play it, it is in a state of having been played and having NOT been played at the same time. I will refer to this phenomenon as Schrodinger's Wad.

On 10/16/2020 at 9:52 PM, Doomkid said:

I think it’s a general parody, iirc there have been at decent handful of “give me your wads”/“I’ll play and record your wads” type threads

Sadly, those don't last very long and I guess I understand why a parody would be deemed appropriate. Here is a list of such threads I found/remembered in the relatively recent past:

Of course, there are many who will just play your wads, like Suitepee, and plenty more willing parties who just don't "advertise" it, but it does seem this type of thread never lasts long. My best guess as to why is the initial inundation of content / the rude awakening of the wad variety out there - quantity, quality, style. And technical difficulties can be a factor, too. Not tying to toot my own horn here or bash those who didn't continue for very long, but both consumers and makers of such threads should just be aware that this kind of thing takes some dedication.

I sent this to one of the above at the onset of his/her respective thread, just my advice going forward. It might be of interest or value to others:

Spoiler
  • Have real expectations of what you can do. Sometimes you may have no maps to play. Other times you may have three different megawad requests plus a 90-minute map. You cannot give everyone same-day service. You also may have to take a break because of vacation or a work trip or other obligations. That's okay.
  • Don't expect to have fun. You will have lots of fun. But some wads just aren't very good. At all. That's okay; they're trying to improve. But understand that this is primarily a service (I'm assuming that's your main goal, anyway), so don't assume every wad is going to be a blast; don't be discouraged when you have to play through a full episode of n00b maps.
  • Don't be afraid to say no. If the wad is too slaughtery or too long or too much of a conversion, say no. You do have to enjoy enough of this to have the passion to keep doing it. Don't be too selective, though. Rules are more understandable than whim preferences. (For example, "I don't do slaughter maps" is better received than "this looks boring; no thanks.") 
  • Don't be afraid to quit or cheat. I only quit if I can't figure out how to progress, but I cheat all the time. If I'm playing something that's too hard, I will resurrect - sometimes often. If there's an extremely hard fight, I may turn on IDDQD. If I fall into a deathpit, I may just IDCLIP my way out. Doing these things saves a lot of time and doesn't really affect the footage much. I also use IDMUS a lot for longer Map 01s that still have D_RUNNIN
  • Do not look at other people's playthroughs or comments. This is just my opinion, but I try not to be influenced in my commentary. So if Austinado has done the same map, I don't watch his playthrough until after I have recorded my own. If the request is a link to a Doomworld thread and lots of people have supplied feedback, I don't read it until after I have done my video. That way I come in as unbiased as possible.
  • I don't know if you plan on doing commentary during or after or ever, but don't waste time arguing. This has not come up for me a lot, but just state your opinion and move on. Could your opinion change? Yes. But what the wad author is getting is your first impression, which is extraordinarily valuable. 
  • Be organized. You will probably want some sort of convenient place to access all your videos. I use a simple Google Sheet.

Edited by HAK3180

@HAK3180 I commend you on your work buddy. I like to record my plays too but don't advertise "send me your maps" cause I like to do this at my leisure and I seen your workload!!! You played each and everyone of my maps and I appreciate it :)

Clippy and Bio are fantastic for playtesting maps, I dig that they mostly go for brand new/small scale releases, it's really a nice spin on it plus they probably get less bogged down under requests that way. HAK keeping at it for as long as he has in a dedicated thread is extremely impressive to me, though. It's a shame Austinado is on hiatus, his playthroughs were also great to watch.