Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
phoo

Limitations that may come with detailing

Question

Hi, I've been working on a wad project on and off for a couple of months now. My wad is boom-compatible and is set to be a few maps (currently 3 planned) that are quite detailed. I'm about halfway done with one map at the moment. I'm a little concerned with the level of detail I'm applying, I'm worried I may run into some limitations If I continue applying this level of detail. I've opened Slade to take a look at the lumps for my MAP01 and I'm currently sitting around 13833 linedefs, 25962 sidedefs, etc... 

Given that this is set to be boom-compatible, are there any limitations I need to be especially mindful of as I continue my project?

4 answers to this question

Boom didn't just raise, but actually removed most static limits by replacing fixed-size arrays by data structures that can grow as needed.

One structural limit you can run into is the maximum number of sidedefs, vertices, etc. due to the use of signed 16-bit values to represent them. I don't remember if Boom itself changed it to unsigned (doubling the maximum value) or not. If so, you're limited to 65534 sidedefs, vertices, etc.; if not to 32767. (With signed values, -1 represents "no such thing" in the game, so a single-sided line will have -1 for its back sidedef reference; with unsigned value this becomes 65535.)

Do you want it to run in Boom.exe for DOS, or just "PrBoom+ / ZDoom-based ports / etc"? At a glance I can't find the actual Boom port's static limits, but I've never heard of a wad that had too many sectors or linedefs for PrB+ to run - although that doesn't mean such wads haven't been made. Hopefully someone can chime in with the limitations of Boom and PrBoom+ if they're known.

Worst case, I'd say give it a test run and see how it goes! It may lag, but I'd be stunned if it doesn't run.

1 hour ago, Doomkid said:

Do you want it to run in Boom.exe for DOS, or just "PrBoom+ / ZDoom-based ports / etc"? At a glance I can't find the actual Boom port's static limits, but I've never heard of a wad that had too many sectors or linedefs for PrB+ to run - although that doesn't mean such wads haven't been made. Hopefully someone can chime in with the limitations of Boom and PrBoom+ if they're known.

Worst case, I'd say give it a test run and see how it goes! It may lag, but I'd be stunned if it doesn't run.

I suppose I should have been more clear. PrBoom+ / ZDoom-based ports / etc is more what I'm aiming for. I've been doing some housekeeping and cleaning up some of the more messy sectors and areas of the map. I've discovered that some of the sector work done in one of the areas of my map was eating up a ton of resources. This area is relatively small. I cleaned up some sectors and removed some unnecessary extra detail in it and cut the amount of SEGS for the map in half. 

I was experimenting with the RROCK5 flat texture by "cutting out" the rocky parts of the texture and raising their sectors heights to create a neat cracked ground aesthetic with some height variation. This was eating up a ton of resources, so I'm detailing this area differently now. Testing it, I determined that this relatively small area alone contained ~15,000 SEGS which is absurd and needed to be corrected.

12 minutes ago, phoo said:

I suppose I should have been more clear. PrBoom+ / ZDoom-based ports / etc is more what I'm aiming for.

Oh then don't worry. The limit is definitely 65534 whatevers (vertexes/linedefs/sidedefs/sectors), whichever comes first.