Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Doomduck12367

What is most annoying doom mappers do?

53 minutes ago, Doomduck12367 said:

for me it's them adding too many enemies on easy difficulties

like i like challenge but sometimes it's little too much.  

Agreed; I want my HMP to be HMP, not (UV -2 barons).

Off the top of my head, 

- shotgunning doors with health and other grind

- chaingunners in open spaces and little health

- not making up their mind which floor texture is damaging

- together with inescapable pits

- cryptic progression 

I think many critiques of Doom mappers could be leveled at mappers for other games as well.

Some problems you can run into are.

1. Uneven or unfair difficulty due to a lack of beta testing by third parties. As the mapper, you know where everything is. If you think the map is hard, someone who does not know the layout is going to find it pretty frustrating.

2. Long distance hit scanning bad guys. In Doom at least it sometimes feels like the hit scanning enemy aiming is more accurate than your own autoaiming, giving distant hitscanners an unfair advantage especially if it is an open space with no cover. This is less of an issue with mouselook and crosshair but if the map is intended to be played in the classic way this is not an option.

3. Obtuse, unfocused, meandering and otherwise illogical layouts. Again, third party beta testing is crucial.

4. Not enough resources. It takes an extraordinary degree of skill and experience to create challenge by depriving the player of resources. Get it right, you create an adrenaline pumping thrill ride. Get it wrong, and you will piss a lot of your players off. And the distance between right and wrong is razor thin. Unless you really know what you are doing and get extensive testing done, it is generally best to avoid this particularly in games like Doom.

5. Forcing what I like to call "fight rehearsal". In my opinion, if a particular sequence of events cannot be reasonably be reacted to by a player that does not know it is coming, it's a dick move. If I fail and maybe die, it should be because my skills failed me, not because I did not know the mapper set up a trigger that released two revenants six feet away. Some people seem to enjoy that kind of thing, but I just find it frustrating. Much like resource deprivation, it can be done if you are good enough but getting the balance right is tricky. And definitely do not overdo it.

Edited by Murdoch

Honestly, anything that could easily be implemented/fixed that could allow a lot more people to enjoy their map, but they just go "eh, i won't bother with it.", such as sometimes difficulty settings, secrets/kills at the very start that you can't come back to no matter what, giving the player more time to react (some claiming this is "difficulty").

Another thing is when they add something KNOWING it's only there to be annoying/dickish. For some i don't even have to point out which ones these are, but it's things like parkour/platforming, ledge running, some really obscure chaingunner or shotgun that can shoot at you before you can possibly expect it to be there (example being hiding right beside doorways), death pits without any way out.

I know this doesn't happen very often anymore thankfully, but stealth monsters in ZDoom maps. Many older ZDoom map packs had issues where they almost always used stealth monsters to up the difficulty in a map.

For me is have an absurd quantity of monsters (Plutonia is a good example) but I saw that on a ton of pwads.

1 minute ago, Raleigh said:

have an absurd quantity of monsters (Plutonia is a good example)

Do you mean Plutonia has an absurd quantity of monsters or it's a good example for NOT having many monsters?

Only one map in Plutonia has more than 200 monsters, and many maps feature only two digits monster counts.

When mappers don't make maps the way I want and like, it's so damn annoying! 

To be honest, I'm really happy with content people pour through these years, keep it up :)

26 minutes ago, Raleigh said:

For me is have an absurd quantity of monsters (Plutonia is a good example) but I saw that on a ton of pwads.

Plutonia has less enemies per map on average compared to Doom 2 and TNT. It goes for the less is more approach of using fewer but higher impact enemies.

I hate it when they make super cool maps because they make me want to map so i have to decide if i continue playing or open up the editor!

It sucks so much you guys i can't stand it >:(

30 minutes ago, ‹rd› said:

"What is the most annoying [thing] people who complain about free Doom content do?"

"Start threads like this without ever returning everything positive" has to be up there.

I had to double-check to make sure this wasn't Xaser making this post.

Cryptic progression is the big one by the way.

I’m bringing this out again as some people seem to have thought it helpful :)

The biggest thing that can interrupt the flow of the map, to me, is making it unclear when doors are openable or not - making the player have to experiment without a visual indicator that a door requires a key or can’t be opened directly.

When people make maps (and threads) like the ones you're making. Maps and threads that only exist to get a rise out of other people while putting in no personal effort whatsoever.

You made a map that is a small room with twelve hitscanners and an exit button, and a map that starts you off in a lava pit with a spider shooting at you until you die.

Then you have the gall to make a thread like this.

2 minutes ago, DavidN said:

Please remember that you’re likely talking to someone who’s very young

There are plenty of young people on Doomworld, I don't see them behaving like this. He even pretty much admits that he's trolling in a post on the thread I linked a couple posts back. I'm sure he's at least old enough to know better.

Just now, TheMagicMushroomMan said:

There are plenty of young people on Doomworld, I don't see them behaving like this. He even pretty much admits that he's trolling in a post on the thread I linked a couple posts back. I'm sure he's at least old enough to know better.

and sides i didn't mean to trool in the first place

1 minute ago, Doomduck12367 said:

and sides i didn't mean to trool in the first place

Listen, if you're just joking around, it's okay. But one of the golden rules in life is that you should be respectful of other people's time. Making maps that consist of a room with damaging floors that kill you as soon as you start comes across not as a joke map, but an insult to the people who are taking the time to test people's maps. It just isn't appreciated here in the community, and it will only ensure that people won't play your maps when you make something worth playing. All it does is harm your reputation.

20201101_191453.jpg