Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Cadman

Daedalus: Alien Defense

Just wanted to bring the community up to date on TeamTNT's latest project, "Daedalus: Alien Defense."

We have been working on this project for quite some time, our real lives get in the way alot but we are very close to finishing it up and we want to release a quality product to you, trying to make it as bub free as possible. So, here is some information on what's going on.

32 all new levels

All new textures (No Doom2 textures are being used)

Hub style play (ala Hexen, you'll be able to go back and forth between levels within a hub)

4 Hubs of play

New music

Puzzle oriented using heavily scripted events. What you do in one level can and will affect actions and events in another level.

All ZDoom effects and specials are being utilized utilizing the latest engine from Randy. (Slopes, mirrors, colored lighting, splashing water, 3-D bridges and the list goes on)

Skyboxes

Cut Scenes

There is much more to what I have said above, but I just wanted to give the Doom Community an update on this. So, where are we on completion? Good question and here's the best answer I can give you.

All 32 levels are complete

Scripting is in place and is being tweaked from the input that comes from beta testing.

What else can I say? We are in the "testing" phase of the project and trying our best to get it done for all of you. A long time ago we released a very buggy beta of Hub1 on our site to give you an idea of the direction that we were going.

Just wanted to thank the community for being patient with us, we are trying our best to get it done. Thanks everyone! :)

Cadman - Member TeamTNT

Can't wait! Hub one, even with all the glitches it has, was one of my favorite wad's ever. This is gonna be awsome!

well, the demo wasn't exactly my cup of tea, but I still look forward to the full release. TeamTNT equals quality in my book.

I still use tntd2kh1 for testing (ZDoomGL, that is). Good stuff! Can't wait for the final release :)

Erik said:

well, the demo wasn't exactly my cup of tea, but I still look forward to the full release. TeamTNT equals quality in my book.

not in mine but wth, I'm still looking forward to it. ;)

We do realize that this style of gameplay won't be suited for everyone. Notes of interest..

*It's designed for single play.

*This is for ZDoom (Doom2)

*We still have things to do on it.

*Yes, the maps are basically finished, still some tweaking to do.

*Because of certain effects, we've had to sacrifice some detail so everyone can play it.

*The unzipped file is around 39 megs at this time.

*Still have some scripting issues here and there.

*Testing continues!

*We have a few surprises as well! (heh!)

Thanks everyone!

Cadman - Member TeamTNT

Now when you say that actions in one map effect another map, does that mean like, hit a switch and guess what it did on six (or more maps) or like, will it be more obvious like, blowing up a water pipe in one map will flood part of another level with a similar pipe. Or something. Just curious, heh. Looking forward to the project of course :D

Cyb said:

Now when you say that actions in one map effect another map, does that mean like, hit a switch and guess what it did on six (or more maps) or like, will it be more obvious like, blowing up a water pipe in one map will flood part of another level with a similar pipe.

Of course a message could pop up when the switch is used, and the player will (hopefully) be able to tell what's happened and where. (Unlike in Hexen, where the player sometimes did need to guess about what event had occurred. But then, Hexen was a lot about puzzles, wasn't it?)

Hope the music's good too. Some of the Icarus music is among my favourites.

ReX said:

Of course a message could pop up when the switch is used, and the player will (hopefully) be able to tell what's happened and where. (Unlike in Hexen, where the player sometimes did need to guess about what event had occurred. But then, Hexen was a lot about puzzles, wasn't it?)

I don't consider htting a switch and having it do something completly unevident without so much as a hint a puzzle. I call it crappy level design and boring gameplay.

My take on the first release of Daedalus (then, not called Daedalus)

It was ugly and a little redundant, (I'm guessing they did something about the green, then.) but pretty cool and in places nicely detailed, and very atmospheric.
I loved the music, particularly. It really created the setting for me, about half as much as anything else.
My favourite was the trumpet song, in the mess hall or whatever it was. I LOVED that one. Please tell me it's still there!

I think Cyb probably didn't like it, though. Too non-linear.

I actually liked the green... And the level design was quite nice. I hadly thought of it being ugly. There were parts that needed work though.

Sorry about that, man. We wouldn't want to FORCE you to get a really cool port, would we? :p

Drat said:

Hope the music's good too. Some of the Icarus music is among my favourites.

Yeah, I just wish TNT wasn't so stingy about letting people use their music.

I'm glad to see Team TNT is not dead, for a while there I was wondering what happened to you guys...??! You always had some real kick ass levels, keep up the good work, and Ill keep playing...!!!

Cadman said:
*This is for ZDoom (Doom2)

Which version?

Anyway, cant wait to play the finished product.

Expect this one some time in '98.

LMAO! And they hasn't updated the page since!

The project is ongoing with Randy's updates to the engine. When the project is released it will work with the latest ZDoom engine out there.

"We are still heavily into the testing phase at this time."

Cadman - Member TeamTNT

Too bad about Ragnarok. Back then, that was TeamTNT's project that I was most looking forward to. Dale, you indicated that the resources have not been released because the team still has plans for them. Any updates?

Yeah, Ragnarok seemed like an interesting project. What if anything is likely to happen with it?

Since the change to redevelop the project for OGRE, we have no timeline.

And no engine either now, I guess :-(

He he, just as well I previewed this post (I don't normally) otherwise using the word timeline might have made me look like a moron.

It's awesome that Team TNT is finishing Daedalus. I asked Ty Halderman about it some time last year, and he said the Team was still working on it, but even so, I was beginning to doubt it...Can't wait to download it. Keep up the good work, Team TNT.