Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
holaareola

Amazing texture pack - Makkon

Love this guy's work, I've seen a fair bit of it on twitter. Plus he's doing textures for the upcoming Graven, which I'm really pumped for!

these textures are so slick, it would be awesome to see more of them in doom!

fyi there are some updates to the pack beyond the tweet in the OP above. makkon1.wad itself has been updated, and there's a new makkon2.wad that has nice brand new textures too. see this twitter thread for download links:

apparently Makkon posts updates to the pack in the Quake mapping discord (in the resources channel) here: https://discord.com/invite/R3gypt

edit: also, for anyone looking for inspiration, the new Quake Halloween Jam 3 has a few maps (including one by Makkon himself) using the textures and the maps are absolutely gorgeous

Edited by Tango

Wow these are great! I reckon eviternity's liquids may work really well with these, I'll have to do some mixing, matching, and palette swapping.

On 11/1/2020 at 4:34 AM, Tango said:

these textures are so slick, it would be awesome to see more of them in doom!

fyi there are some updates to the pack beyond the tweet in the OP above. makkon1.wad itself has been updated, and there's a new makkon2.wad that has nice brand new textures too. see this twitter thread for download links:

apparently Makkon posts updates to the pack in the Quake mapping discord (in the resources channel) here: https://discord.com/invite/R3gypt

edit: also, for anyone looking for inspiration, the new Quake Halloween Jam 3 has a few maps (including one by Makkon himself) using the textures and the maps are absolutely gorgeous

Excellent, thanks for that, I hadn't seen the new packs. OP updated.

Man, the first shot you linked is awesome. Love the purple hue and the wood propped on rock combination and those wood textures look deliciously painterly. The Quake community's creating some utterly fantastic stuff at the moment, seems small but ultra-talented.

Anyway, I find repetitive, mindless work oddly therapeutic (perversely only when I'm not getting paid for it, hahah), so I'll start putting together a Doom palettised wad of these over the next couple of weeks for people to use. The mod I'm working on has a customised palette or I'd have shared the conversions I've already done.  

Woah, I just had a look in and there are 770 raw textures total between the two packs. A lot of them are colour variations, some groups of which can be ruled out as they won't convert well to the Doom palette, then there are others where I suspect the detail is too high to survive the downscale. I'm on holiday and not on the computer much atm, but back next week, maybe a way to split the work could be found and creating a wad for the community could be done collaboratively rather than duplicating conversion? Could be as simple as creating two shared folders on Google drive, an input folder containing the raw files and an output folder containing the wad and the texture conversions. After discussing naming conventions and processes (e.g. some of the more detailed cliff textures are shite at 128x128, but do work at 256x256 when converted to two 256x128 textures, one top, one bottom for use with 0-height sectors to fake tall textures in vanilla).

Edited by holaareola

I tried converting a lot of the stuff from the Quake .wad for more practical (and non-UMDF) use in Doom (by which i mean converting palettes, making flats, and generally making the textures more usable on their own rather than having to align them to a certain part for what you want), since i got really interested in experimenting with it after seeing what stunning work Tango has made with it, but unfortunately my hardware doesn't like it when Slade tries converting the palettes of over 800 textures (it straight up crashes instantly) so i can't really work with them in a versatile way that, say, OTEX allows for. I'd LOVE if someone could compile something like this (if the author would even allow such a thing, which i didn't consider up until now), but otherwise i'm just excited to see Doom maps made with it.

Apologies for the large bump, but I can't find any other threads on this subject, and it seems a lesser evil than starting a duplicate topic on it.

I'm also looking into separating the texture parts to make them more usable on their own.  The license in the text file specifically states, "Modification is allowed and encouraged, with credit", so I don't see a problem as long as the modded textures aren't included in/used for anything commercial.  I don't think I'll bother with palette conversions, though, as I'm targeting especially the k8Vavoom source port which supports high res/true colour textures. 

For those who are interested in this kind of thing, ImageMagick has a batch crop feature which could somewhat ease the tedium of having to perform the same operations on multiple variations on the same textures. 

https://deparkes.co.uk/2015/04/30/batch-crop-images-with-imagemagick/

I haven't tried it yet but I intend to have a go over the weekend.  I've used ImageMagick quite extensively over the years and have found most of its features reliable.

In other news Ben "Makkon" Hale has released two more packs, pack 2 focuses on wood, windows and doors, and pack 3 focuses on techbase textures and includes some lights and switches.  I get the impression that he's working on a fourth pack or maybe an update to the third one, as he's recently been tweeting about new textures which feature tech doors, computers and pipes, so that's worth keeping an eye out for.

As some others have noted, some of these textures work well alongside some of the OTEX textures too, especially the OTEX liquids.

6 hours ago, ENEMY!!! said:

In other news Ben "Makkon" Hale has released two more packs, pack 2 focuses on wood, windows and doors, and pack 3 focuses on techbase textures and includes some lights and switches.

This calls for some LINKS!

Packs 0, 1 and 2:

pack 3:

pack 4:

Thanks a lot for these, I only started following Makkon on Twitter recently and so I'd picked up makkon1-3 from his tweet from 1 April (not an April Fool's joke!) but didn't know he'd updated the resources and added a makkon0 and makkon4 on 23 June.  Some nice additional textures to play about with by the looks of it.

Edit: here's the 1 April tweet:

Edited by ENEMY!!!

The good news is that this process of cutting out parts of the trim sheets for use as patches is working well, as Makkon has evidently made a point of making all of the different components of the trim sheets into powers of 2 (everything appears to be 16, 32, 64, 128, 256 or 512 pixels tall/wide), which makes it easy to calculate the sizes and offsets using ImageMagick's mogrify/convert and crop commands.  I've managed to get all of his new pipe textures cropped out from his latest update - see

It seems that in SLADE3 the "Add to TEXTUREx" doesn't work with these png textures (maybe they have to be below a certain size and/or converted to the Doom palette, not sure), so some extra work would be needed to make composite textures out of them.  But simply having the individual parts of the trim sheets as textures to put together as one sees fit in (GZ/Ultimate) Doom Builder should work.

Not sure how useful this will be to others as it stands, but with the aid of ImageMagick I've created a pk3 file with all of the trim sheets broken down into smaller chunks (in some cases I separated out individual trims, in other cases I had multiple trims in one).  I haven't bothered with converting them to the Doom palette or renaming them into Doom WAD conventions, so to get them all to display it's necessary to enable "Long texture names" in the editor (not sure if all editors have that option, but Ultimate Doom Builder definitely does and it definitely works).  I've done this with all Makkon packs from 0 to 3.  As far as I'm aware makkon4 has no trim sheets.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1cJBMcELVaOmCDmiQt_YiRiXMhp9M7Gyp/view?usp=sharing

Here's a screenshot:

makkonsep_example.PNG

I've just been informed that my Google Drive link is down.  I was on the free 15 GB plan and must have accidentally removed it when I was deleting excess files, but I have since moved to a paid Google One plan with more storage.  

I'm currently in the process of creating Doom texture WADs with the most up to date Makkon texture sets, again not palettised and with long texture names - this is largely for myself but I plan to put these up on my Google Drive as well, hopefully in the next couple of days.

Talking of which, the Makkon sets are now far more numerous and varied, and you can find them all at Slipseer:

https://www.slipseer.com/index.php?resources/makkon-textures.28/

Many of the old sets have been revised and expanded, especially the tech one, and there are new marble, concrete, horror and CTF sets.  I've been following the Quake mapping discord closely and there's an eldritch set (which reminds me a bit of Skyrim's dungeon textures) in the works.

I've created a new link on my Google Drive with each of the Makkon texture sets converted to PNG (but not palletized).  Each pk3 is named "d_makkon_X", and the directory structure is "textures/makkon_X" where X is the name of the texture set in each case.  Thus, you'll need to use/enable long texture names.

In some cases I have included a "rot90" subfolder with some textures rotated by 90 degrees (particularly in the case of trims and brick textures, where sometimes mappers might want trims to be vertical rather than horizontal), and ANIMDEFs, which turn the switch textures into Doom-compatible switches.  I tested the switches in a test map in Ultimate Doom Builder and they are working for me.

I have also included the original Makkon_License text file from the original texture sets.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1AZFNL7bzGAQ7wHQ0CM233xaJnfWLiK9z

Edited by ENEMY!!!

13 hours ago, ENEMY!!! said:

I've created a new link on my Google Drive with each of the Makkon texture sets converted to PNG (but not palletized).  Each pk3 is named "d_makkon_X", and the directory structure is "textures/makkon_X" where X is the name of the texture set in each case.  Thus, you'll need to use/enable long texture names.

In some cases I have included a "rot90" subfolder with some textures rotated by 90 degrees (particularly in the case of trims and brick textures, where sometimes mappers might want trims to be vertical rather than horizontal), and ANIMDEFs, which turn the switch textures into Doom-compatible switches.  I tested the switches in a test map in Ultimate Doom Builder and they are working for me.

I have also included the original Makkon_License text file from the original texture sets.

That's awesome! Well done.

The makkon pack is really high quality, and I hope Doom mappers will use it more. I was trying to make a boom compatible palletised version but slade bugged out on me. Hopefully I'll got to it one day, or somebody more capable than me can do it. That of course also means resizing flats from 256, and sacrificing some colour variations (namely purple)

Also, I have talked to Makkon, and he's a super chill dude. 

On 12/5/2022 at 1:40 PM, ENEMY!!! said:

Been playing with textures for a few weeks now, thanks for your work and BIG thank you for 90dgr rotations, its a god save. And just to clarify. It is latest version of doom comp version? And is the "Broken Down into textures trimsheets" lost ? Link is not working and can't seem to find another one.

Edited by INfront95

Apologies for the delay, I must have missed this reply over the Christmas period.  

I have a Google One subscription now so I can retrieve the texture sets that I created with the "broken down into textures trimsheets" and re-upload them if you want without getting short on storage space.  They're based on an out of date version of the textures from 2021 but a fair number of them haven't changed since that earlier iteration.  I decided to discontinue this for more recent versions because it was time consuming and I realised that, since the textures keep being updated, it would soon add up. 

I fully intend to keep updating the version that I currently have on Google Drive.  The version that I've uploaded is based on the newest release of the Makkon textures on Slipseer, from 19 November 2022.

On Twitter and in the Quake mapping discord I've been following progress on Makkon's upcoming industrial/urban set which looks amazing and reminds me a lot of the aesthetic in Valve's Source games.  We've already seen from Dooming the Bar that with some portal and 3D model trickery, it's possible to make maps for GZDoom that look like Half-Life 2 maps, so once those are out I'll be keen to quickly add those to the collection that I'm sharing on OneDrive.  It might be a while yet though as they're easily the most ambitious set so far.

Edited by ENEMY!!! : Google Drive not OneDrive

I think you don't need to worry about splitting the trimsheets. It's needlessly time consuming, we/the people can just align the whole sheet easily, just like in quake. Having the rotations is super useful, tho. 

The only thing that Mandatory had to be clipped from the sheet are grates, support beams, ralings, shortly speaking things that goes to midtextures. Well, unless people know the way of how to adjust  midtex's height that not carved in the wall, but in open space. 

Nice work ENEMY!!!, thanks for making these available, saves a lot of conversion time.

One of the things with texturing in vanilla doom is that typically large scale structures cause a lot of repeats due to the small textures. The GIMP script I've butchered together does a lot of slicing so that e.g. for some of the 512x512 big cliff textures it will dump out eight textures, each of them 256x128 for vertical stacking so you can have 512x512 of non-repeating detail onscreen in Vanilla.

It also:

- extracts and resizes textures suitable for 64x64 to flats

- exports some larger textures to 128 in 64x64 pieces for big flats a la E1M8 tele

- slices out a bunch of different bits from the trimsheet textures

Two issues. The first is that even with just the first Makkon set (metal, stone and nature) and excluding some colours, it produces ~2500 palettised textures at 52mb. Obvs too big for a vanilla pack. I need to work out a way of making it so that people can choose the colours and sets they want. The other is that I still need to write something that will bundle these up into a wad and assemble the 256x128 patches into 512x128 textures. I remember Slade added scripting support a while back... does anyone know if it supports importing files, constructing textures out of patches etc? Seems a shame to sit on all these great textures when they could save people a lot of manual work.

Yes, one reason why I decided to discontinue the splitting of trimsheets was that it was generating a ridiculous number of textures, and it didn't play along nicely with Ultimate Doom Builder which periodically crashed on me when I opened the texture browser.  The current set of pk3s with the full textures and some 90 degree rotations are the same ones that I've been loading into UDB as external resources, and although UDB still struggles a bit, it works much better.

3 hours ago, INfront95 said:

The only thing that Mandatory had to be clipped from the sheet are grates, support beams, ralings, shortly speaking things that goes to midtextures. Well, unless people know the way of how to adjust  midtex's height that not carved in the wall, but in open space. 

Yes, that's definitely an issue.  So far I've been working around it by building the railings from 3D floors rather than two-sided linedefs.  Here's an example from a spaceship map that I've been experimenting on recently.  You have to make the 3D floors very narrow to avoid getting artefacts when transparent and non-transparent areas mix though (the ones on this screenshot are a bit wide, and it shows).

Screenshot_Doom_20230125_160025.jpg

Edited by ENEMY!!!

Huh, your method, worked much better than i expected, i was thinking about it but didn't think there is option to have textured inside, but there is. Slap 3d floor, make it solid and render inside, tune light inside and you have noice solid railings. Just not overdo to not affect perfomance. Sadly there is limitation of 1 texture on all sides of 3d floor, but hey it is exactly where trim sheets are handy.Screenshot_Doom_20230126_133719.png.c2a44c767d0fdd0230c7e1496cf8f09b.pngScreenshot_Doom_20230126_133729.png.d7ae22ef33439184cf2806396524440e.png

35 minutes ago, INfront95 said:

Slap 3d floor, make it solid and render inside, tune light inside and you have noice solid railings.

Thanks for that - you've directed me to the real cause of the problem in my screenshot.  It turns out that my problem had nothing to do with transparency or needing the 3D floors to be narrower - for some reason the brightness in several of my 3D floors was set to 0 instead of 128 (the surrounding sectors are all 128 and boosted by some dynamic lights), and so the railings on the other side were appearing completely black.  This is how my railings look now that I've sorted the problem.

Screenshot_Doom_20230126_021232.jpg.5b1d4f7e5bb1aeee178f2f6259c4fe6e.jpg

Edited by ENEMY!!!

In all honesty there is nothing wrong with solid black innards. Depends on your intentions and style of course. Ah now i see it bled on the walls.
(Well, now after trying this method im not sure if anything on the sheet is needed to be cut into chunks. Can be a nice challenge to play with)

Edited by INfront95

Ok last screenshot because im becoming a little spammy. This is today's testing session, and few advices for people.
Stacked 3d floors are a bitch to texture cause when you adjust textures they are all moving at the same time so don't do 1 single wall, break up with buldging parts or go for celling portals. 
3d floors take brightness from adjacent floor or floor under, so this glowing lava 256 and if you want 3d floors to be lower brightness do a small 1 or 0.5 px trim so 3d floor will take from it. Don't know how to lower brightness of 3d floor with glowing floor under, thus metal collums are straight smooth without details. Ugh, i need to test that 3d modeling method people talked about145290231_gzdoom2023-01-2620-28-59.png.b5c214c51a87ef5a28765a9ba133a4ba.png

Makkon has done another texture update.  There's a brand new complete Industrial set and some updates to the tech, nature (snow!) and concrete sets.  There's also the beginnings of a new Urban set which currently has roads, road markings and manholes etc.  The textures have been released more quickly and in a less finished state than originally planned so that they can be used in the upcoming Quake Explore Jam (which has limited combat and focuses on exploration).

Thus, over the next few days I have a bit of updating to do with the Google Drive uploads.  Again, it's in my own interest to do this quickly as I have to create these pk3 files to be able to use them myself for my own mapping.

As the industrial set contains train chassis textures, I plan to try this weekend to see if I can get a subway style train working in GZDoom using FishyClockwork's 3D moving platforms and the OBJ model method (creating a few models representing the train in Ultimate Doom Builder, exporting them to OBJ and then importing them in as a 3D platform).  I recently tried to create a subway style train in Quake and it works fine for trains moving in straight lines but it gets very fiddly very quickly if you try to rotate the train because Quakespasm-derived ports don't support true rotation.  FishyClockwork's sample maps suggest that subway style trains could well be more feasible in GZDoom than in Quake.  (I already demonstrated a couple of years ago that proper subway trains work quite well in the K8Vavoom port, so it wouldn't be a first for Doom).

Edited by ENEMY!!!

I've updated the latest textures into my Google Drive so you can play around with the new industrial set as well as the updated tech, nature, concrete and the roads in the urban set.  Attempting trains will have to wait until next weekend now though, I didn't get around to it during the weekend just gone.  https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1AZFNL7bzGAQ7wHQ0CM233xaJnfWLiK9z

On 2/6/2023 at 7:24 PM, ENEMY!!! said:

I've updated the latest textures into my Google Drive so you can play around with the new industrial set as well as the updated tech, nature, concrete and the roads in the urban set.  Attempting trains will have to wait until next weekend now though, I didn't get around to it during the weekend just gone.  https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1AZFNL7bzGAQ7wHQ0CM233xaJnfWLiK9z

Ah.  Thank you so much!

I was having rotten luck getting the textures to work in Ultimate Doom Builder without making SLADE3 perform some untimely renders.  Even as I tried, I was unable to get them out of grayscale.

You are the best!

Just done a quick update to the industrial set (same link as before) as Makkon did a quick update which added in the train tracks and some lights and conveyor belts.  In the meantime, here's a screenshot of a subway train using these textures, which I generated using the aforementioned method of exporting 3D floors out to OBJ models and importing them back into Ultimate Doom Builder.

Screenshot_Doom_20230212_191640.jpg.7af724d0cc19945740ba01fb6a9dd7dc.jpg

Some compromises have to be made for collisions.  While full-on passenger trains are possible in K8Vavoom using 3D polyobjects, GZDoom's horizontally moving platforms rely on models that, if solid, only allow an equilateral collision radius, which means that creating a full-on passenger train with walls would require me to create a large number of models for the walls to simulate realistic collision.  However, trains like this one with semi-realistic collision are feasible, using just a few models for the base that the player/monsters/items stand on.

In Quake, it is possible to create more elaborate trains that move only in a straight line, but anything with rotation has the same collision-related limitations as GZDoom trains.  However, one area where Doom outperforms Quake is with its scrolling textures.  Makkon provided a number of textures for conveyor belts because Quake doesn't have scrolling textures, meaning you have to generate frames individually and cycle through them.  But in Doom I found that it's as simple as applying one of those textures to a sloped floor and setting the sector special to "scroll in X direction" and you have a seamless conveyor belt (good for creating, say, subway station escalators).

The subway style station still needs a bit of work before I upload a video showing it off, but I've been quite pleased with my progress so far.

Here as promised is the subway train station.  It still needs a bit of work with detailing and adding appropriate sounds when the train moves, but I think it's in a strong enough state to be worth sharing the demonstration of it.  It's capable of carrying monsters and the weapons that monsters drop after you kill them.  I generated the curves using Ultimate Doom Builder's model export functionality.

For some reasons the second screenshot of the original post remind me of Mount Blackrock in WoW xd

8572-4254532512.jpg