Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jimmy

Post your Doom textures!

Those are neat, the clean gradient quality of those textures is fun :)

One subjective tip: If you intend for these textures to mix alongside the standard doom texture set, you may want to adjust the lighting of some of those bevel/emboss details. Typically you ought to have light reflecting from the top/left when things are popping out, and bottom/right when things are sunken in. Not a hard rule of course, but I think it will help with cohesion :)

On 10/15/2020 at 11:27 PM, HQDefault said:

EDIT: Also, experimental version with an actual blue sky

This is amazing. Going in my autoload for D1.

21 hours ago, lilpastasalad said:

FCIELORN.gif

FCIEOR01.gif

One thing to watch out for with flats is that they should basically be pillow-shaded. Yeah, I know, every single pixel art tutorial will tell you pillow shading is the devil and should never be used ever in any circumstance. But flats are not sprites or vertical textures, they're horizontal and that means the viewpoint of the character will change as the player wanders around the place. The result is an illusion, where what appears to be raised from one angle appears to be sunken from the opposite angle.

See here for a discussion of the phenomenon. Or these examples screenshots (the three illuminated squares have their flats rotated compared to the rest of the floor):

Spoiler

8re5njT.png

lJD8Zja.png

XCtp1jD.png

So I'd suggest making edits where shading is applied uniformly to avoid switching the orientation of the depth depending on the angle of the player.

20 hours ago, kwc said:

Those are neat, the clean gradient quality of those textures is fun :)

One subjective tip: If you intend for these textures to mix alongside the standard doom texture set, you may want to adjust the lighting of some of those bevel/emboss details. Typically you ought to have light reflecting from the top/left when things are popping out, and bottom/right when things are sunken in. Not a hard rule of course, but I think it will help with cohesion :)

11 minutes ago, Gez said:

One thing to watch out for with flats is that they should basically be pillow-shaded. Yeah, I know, every single pixel art tutorial will tell you pillow shading is the devil and should never be used ever in any circumstance. But flats are not sprites or vertical textures, they're horizontal and that means the viewpoint of the character will change as the player wanders around the place. The result is an illusion, where what appears to be raised from one angle appears to be sunken from the opposite angle.

See here for a discussion of the phenomenon. Or these examples screenshots (the three illuminated squares have their flats rotated compared to the rest of the floor):

Reveal hidden contents

8re5njT.png

lJD8Zja.png

XCtp1jD.png

So I'd suggest making edits where shading is applied uniformly to avoid switching the orientation of the depth depending on the angle of the player.

These are both really good criticisms. I'll do some tweaking.

Some context: it was late at night, I was working on an Entryway-corruption map in the tradition of "Go 2 It", and I realized I had no idea what to do with the original Entryway exit (the new exit being in a completely different part of the map). G2I has an archvile ambush, but I wanted to do something less… aggressive. I settled on putting this on a wall right behind the door (hence the unusual height; it should tile with Plutonia's A-CONCTE with a little adjusting of the offsets). Yeah, it's a very Mock 2/N.U.T.S. kind of gag, but it gave 2am me a giggle.

My only request is that this someday gets used in an otherwise completely serious WAD.

EDIT: Forgot about aspect ratio correction. Now including a version that scales better vertically.

CVILEBOO.png

CVILEARC.png

Edited by Caru

1 hour ago, Lil_Ruff said:

Personal player skin
RESNJv9.png

I love how it looks, but it could've gone in this thread instead

Edited by MattFright : accidentally rude phrasing, oops!

On 11/4/2020 at 12:26 AM, MattFright said:

I love how it looks, but it could've gone in this thread instead

GAH! that WAS the thread I was looking for... I had too many tabs open and must have put the comment in the wrong one... Wooops. Thanks!

Took a photograph of an evening sky yesterday, fed it into SLADE. It came out in grayscale, so I remaped grey to blue in SLADE because I don't know how to convert it to palette in actual graphical editor.

May or may not use is as episode 1 sky in Hellevator. Pretty sure it tiles in all directions in its current state.

IMG_2020.png

2 hours ago, ViolentBeetle said:

Took a photograph of an evening sky yesterday, fed it into SLADE. It came out in grayscale, so I remaped grey to blue in SLADE because I don't know how to convert it to palette in actual graphical editor.

May or may not use is as episode 1 sky in Hellevator. Pretty sure it tiles in all directions in its current state.

IMG_2020.png

Can you post the original full color PNG? I might see if I can get it to look more evening-y in Doom's pallete.

Just now, HQDefault said:

Can you post the original full color PNG? I might see if I can get it to look more evening-y in Doom's pallete.

The version on my PC is already cropped, but you can see why it didn't match the palette at all. I don't think I really want an evening sky though, I think I would prefer blue one anyway.

IMG_20201107_165927.jpg

FARSKY.png.8264519812a501639cc815e2ccab148a.png

Simple mountain sky for a wad I'm working on. I kept it as a fullcolor PNG because I really couldn't preserve the tone I was going for in Doom's palette, and I couldn't really find a palette to convert it to that I liked.

EDIT:

Okay so after fiddling with it a little bit I got it to look pretty good in Shadow Warrior's palette.

FARSKY_P.png.8763b4ef069f6cada5d396511b5b1210.png

It still needs to technically be read as full color by slade so that it doesn't collapse in on itself in rendering, and I'm still undecided if I like this or the original better.

Edited by HQDefault

I was watching a doc about the Renaissance, and they had some Leonardo Da Vinci sketches featured. Apparently, getting hold of female cadavers was pretty difficult in his early days so he thought he'd have a go at just filling in the blanks. The theory that Da Vinci was gay seems all the more plausible given what he imagined the centre of a woman was like.  He imagined it was like something so horrible that it would make a great texture in Doom.

I give you:

qI8MgCn.png

7Hr5IZU.png

And the overlay so you can make your own.

SSLCpXi.png