Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
taufan99

Aske - yet another boomer shooter based on Quake

1 hour ago, seed said:

And I'm not, nice passive-aggressiveness you got there.

Not sure if you are trying to repeat what Graf Zahl said to me, but no, I didn't tried to be passive-agressive. I'm actually not good with sarcasm at all. 

You looked heated by my comment and that was my way of saying that it was not aimed to you (or anyone in particular, I just saw a mass of harsh right-off-the-bat reactions and I expressed how I felt about it). Relax and sorry if it looked that way.

Okay, I wasn't really expecting this.

@selewi Nice to meet you there, I'd like to express my love towards your project. There are some things I like about it, such as the already aforementioned gore system. As others say, however, some places such as the mapping and a few sounds could do some more improvement(s). I can understand why the folks here sound pretty harsh, as we can have rather high standards on such revival shooters, and I'd like to encourage you to work and improve further. I believe you can do it! You may also look for some help again as well, as I'm sure that can be better for this project.

Gotta agree with boris. Seen too many of these to count. Just seems like another lazy piece going along the wave of 2010s boomer shooters, nothing noteworthy. No different from the countless Doom clones that were quickly forgotten in the 90s.

I like the look of this one, it reminds me to obscure Quake based games like Shrak or Eternal War. 

It‘s of course no match for the artful, impressive Quake custom maps that get released these days, but still interesting.

It's good to see you're being a good sport about our impressions so far, @selewi and I hope my comment wasn't too harsh. I have a habit of being "too honest" at times, but I've never been one for sugarcoating. Take what we say on the chin but also keep in mind we're just a bunch of randos on the internet and our words only hold as much weight as you allow them to. It definitely looks a bit too much like Quake right now, but I do hope you're able to give it more of its own identity the more you work on it. Best of luck with the development of your game, fam.

Can we just agree it looks appropiately* shit?

Spoiler

*The Quake brown color scheme, also the best shit you could have.

are you using mdl nodels and would you like some original models made by me from scratch to serve as more colorfull enemies for this game?

I made a caco like floating macro virus demon that uses textures I made for an old xp game I made once

I also have other scratch made models in development

Boomer Shooters? Aren't Boomers people born in the 60's and late 50's? I'm sure they weren't the main market for video games in 1997. That's a Gen X/Millennial thing.

4 hours ago, HatTrick said:

Boomer Shooters? Aren't Boomers people born in the 60's and late 50's? I'm sure they weren't the main market for video games in 1997. That's a Gen X/Millennial thing.

Boomers would be those born after World War 2. So mid 40’s to early 60’s. My parents were born in 62, and most sources would put them in very early Gen X.

It it also seems like quite a few people forget that the older millennials are in their mid to late 30’s.

1 hour ago, Jello said:

Boomers would be those born after World War 2. So mid 40’s to early 60’s. My parents were born in 62, and most sources would put them in very early Gen X.

It it also seems like quite a few people forget that the older millennials are in their mid to late 30’s.

I'm pretty sure people in their early 60s would not have been playing Quake when it came out. Same for 50's I'd say.

Most people playing Boomer Shooters are, in fact, Millennials/Gen-Z. And yet they are still called "Boomer" shooters

Ironic isn't it

18 minutes ago, ReaperAA said:

Most people playing Boomer Shooters are, in fact, Millennials/Gen-Z. And yet they are still called "Boomer" shooters

Ironic isn't it

People are just stupid. It's not at all surprising.

Gaming wasn't really a "thing" until 1992 ish. I'm talking about FPS here. Doom came out in 93 and Wolfenstein in 92. So people born in 1975 or around there would've been the oldest teens when it came out.

15 minutes ago, HatTrick said:

Gaming wasn't really a "thing" until 1992 ish. I'm talking about FPS here. Doom came out in 93 and Wolfenstein in 92. So people born in 1975 or around there would've been the oldest teens when it came out.

well.. my brother was born in 1971 and he has played a shit ton of doom, duke nukeem and god knows what else, despite not being the gamer type

Just now, CBM said:

well.. my brother was born in 1971 and he has played a shit ton of doom, duke nukeem and god knows what else, despite not being the gamer type

Give or take 4 years really isn't much.

31 minutes ago, Doominator2 said:

Its called a boomer shooter because its an older style of shooter, not because literal boomers play them. 

Wouldn't retro-shooter be a much better term, and the one that's been in use before all the boomer/zoomer memes.

11 minutes ago, Spectre01 said:

Wouldn't retro-shooter be a much better term, and the one that's been in use before all the boomer/zoomer memes.

Ok Boomer.

:-)

And @HatTrick, when I said Boomers are mid 40's to early 60's, I was referring to year, not age. 1945-1960/1961. Boomers are 60 to 75 years old at this point. Keep in mind, however, that would've put them at 36 to 51 when Quake came out, 33-48 when Doom came out. That generation not only played videogames, but they invented them.

Edited by Jello

10 minutes ago, Jello said:

Ok Boomer.

:-)

And @HatTrick, when I said Boomers are mid 40's to early 60's, I was referring to year, not age. 1945-1960/1961. Boomers are 60 to 75 years old at this point. Keep in mind, however, that would've put them at 36 to 51 when Quake came out, 33-48 when Doom came out. That generation not only played videogames, but they invented them.

If they invented them they sure as hell don't play them today. How many 60 or 75 year olds have Steam accounts? I'd like to see that data.

On 11/11/2020 at 11:49 AM, HatTrick said:

Boomer Shooters? Aren't Boomers people born in the 60's and late 50's? I'm sure they weren't the main market for video games in 1997. 

I never understood this term as well. Retro-shooter sounds just about right for me, or maybe doomer shooter to keep it rhyming and all lol
Maybe I'm just too old to understand

Edited by Noiser

Yeah, the term Boomer Shooter is very weird. At first I thought it meant the developers of 1990s FPS belong to the Baby boom generation, but in case of id Software only Sandy Petersen is a real boomer while Carmack, Romero and the other id guys are too young.

I was born 1975, and our typical experience was that the „boomers“ despised video games and especially FPS. They believed FPS were sadistic murder simulators and a direct cause of school shootings.

Back on topic: I‘ll try the Aske demo when I return home, currently away from my PC.

@HatTrick You asked how many people over a certain age had Steam accounts so I provided you with one example.

On an unrelated note: You might want to consider changing your attitude because a couple of your recent comments could end up seeing you banned from these forums.

8 hours ago, HatTrick said:

Top 40 or some gay shit like that.

2 hours ago, HatTrick said:

jew you out of 59 dollars for an XBL subscription

1 minute ago, Boaby Kenobi said:

@HatTrick You asked how many people over a certain age had Steam accounts so I provided you with one example.

On an unrelated note: You might want to consider changing your attitude because a couple of your recent comments could end up seeing you banned from these forums.

Could care less.

1 hour ago, HatTrick said:

Could care less.

So you do care? I mean, saying you could care less implies some base level of care.

Getting back to the point... Unfortunately I agree that Aske feels very much like Quake mod. It really REALLY needs something unique - almost all I saw in that video just screams QUAAAAAAAKE! I understand that currently this is just a proof-of-concept and even this took somebody's time and effort but please find your own way to make a retro shooter.

Oof, maybe I'd better go ahead and try this demo myself.

I've just played through the 2 maps in the demo and the best I can say is that it's functional and doesn't glitch/crash/etc.

• Visuals: Looks like an alpha. There is little in the way of detailing or geometry. The levels consists of bland and monotextured rooms, hallways, and pipes. Vanilla Quake looks next-gen in comparison. Some texture misalignment on the brick walls.  
  • Audio: No issue with the sounds. Background ambience is fitting.
  • Weapons: The sword is too weak. It only makes sense to use on the melee fodder and even then every other weapon kills them much faster. The rifle and plasma gun are fine, but feel entirely interchangeable. I just used whichever one I had more ammo for since the damage done appeared similar.
  • Enemies: Very basic. There's the melee fodder, soldier who slowly fires a fast-traveling projectile, monster who throws multiple projectiles, and an exploding flyer. I did not get a sense of feedback when attacking the enemies and didn't notice them flinch or feel affected by my shots.

TL;DR: Maybe it will get there eventually, but right now I don't see this as a commercially viable product which can compete with free Quake user content.