Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mechadon

Doom 64 for Doom II - v1.4 released, /idgames link is up

It's a separate file as a resource for other mod makers.

The game literally cannot handle PNG files or sprite sheets anyway, so there's no way that you would need the PNG sprite sheet to play.

11 hours ago, MiningSquirrel2 said:

uhh what's actually changed, i played map02 (the trimmed down one) and i didn't notice any differences, is it just some behind the scenes stuff?

Da Werecat and Gez are both right, the maps with 'B' appended to the name are there for compatibility and QoL reasons.  ZDaemon didn't like the vanilla-style voodoo doll scripts that some of the maps used.  The solution was to convert those maps to Boom format (thus the 'B') which use scrolling floors for their voodoo dolls.  An additional upside to this is that other ports that support mapinfo will load these maps instead of the vanilla ones, meaning the voodoo doll won't hurt the player (the vanilla voodoo dolls do tiny amounts of damage to the player in order to work, in case you were wondering).

Also the only file required to play the megawad is the main D64D2 wad, everything else is a bonus (ie. extra statusbars) or is there for modders to use (Motherdemon sprite sheet).

This is by far the best DOOM 64 version I've ever played. Just amazing! Thanks a lot for this gem!

5 / 5 stars from me.

Hello!  I recently discovered this and have been having a blast playing it so far.  I never played the actual DOOM64, but I've seen some playthroughs and livestreams, and this, in my opinion, is better than the original.  You get the suspense of the actual DOOM64 with the better detailing of DOOM II's textures and monster sprites - and as much as I hate them at times, having Arch-viles and Revenants makes for much better gameplay.  One thing I've run into at this point:  in MAP14 "The Lair", there were two Arachnotrons that didn't spawn in after I returned to the main courtyard with the yellow skull key.  I'm playing this with GZDoom 4.4.2, if that would help you diagnose any potential issues.  Thanks!

Thanks for playing Bytefyre!  I'm glad to hear you're enjoying it :)

I tested the map out in GZDoom and Chocolate Doom, and it works in both for me.  Are you using Doom (Strict) compatibility in GZDoom?  I tested it out in GZDoom's default compatibility mode too, and it worked there as well.  So I'm not sure what happened.

This is a stretch, and I'll most likely get shot down for this. But are you guys also planning to include the Lost Levels from the re-release of DOOM 64 onto this? Yeah this is a dumb question, and could be answered with "If you want to play the Lost Levels, then go play the official re-release, loser".

I've been asked that question quite a few times since the Lost Level were released; its a good question, so don't feel bad :P.

So I haven't looked into this since I'm really too busy to mess with it right now.  But my general feeling is that it probably wouldn't be a good idea to do that so soon after the game was re-released on modern hardware.  In particular the Lost Levels are sort of a bonus for the people buying the re-release.  I don't think id/Bethesda would appreciate me essentially remaking the levels and releasing them for free.

That said, maybe it could be done at some point in the future.  I would need to get in contact with Kaiser and see what he says.  It might be beyond his ability to give me permission though.  But like I said, I haven't bothered to look into the possibility because I have other things going on.

So the short answer is no, probably not.  At least not in the immediate future.

Edited by Mechadon

There's also the thing with the technical aspect. How are you going to handle the map slots? Replacing some of the originals, replace the first ones, replacing the last ones? Since this is tailored towards Vanilla Doom, there's a lot of things and limitations to think about when compared to modding to, let's say, GZDoom. It would be interesting to see it happen, but I don't see it happening in the near future.

I'm running GZDoom with wad v 1.4, and struggling with Map02.  When I hit the switch in the dark room with the blue keys, the doors don't open.  I have tried GZDoom versions 4.3.3 and build 305 pre 4.5.  I have tried a few different compatibility settings as well such as default, Doom, Doom (strict), Boom (strict).  Am I missing something?  Thanks!  

Are you running the wad with any extra mods?  Some mods may break the dehacked patch changes, which are required for some of the maps to play properly.

Everything is working correctly on my end, even if I use GZDoom's default compatibility options.  I'd need a bit more info in order to help you out.

17 hours ago, Mechadon said:

Are you running the wad with any extra mods?  Some mods may break the dehacked patch changes, which are required for some of the maps to play properly.

Everything is working correctly on my end, even if I use GZDoom's default compatibility options.  I'd need a bit more info in order to help you out.

I'll disable additional mods and see if I can get it working - then I'll add mods back in to see if I can identify the culprit.  I'm not running anything that changes gameplay - just mods that largely improve appearance.  Will give it a try and let you know.  Thanks!

Edit - Looks like Beautiful Doom was the culprit.  All working as it should now.  Sorry for the bother.

Edited by DrR0Ck

On 11/6/2020 at 12:07 AM, Mechadon said:

Thanks for playing Bytefyre!  I'm glad to hear you're enjoying it :)

I tested the map out in GZDoom and Chocolate Doom, and it works in both for me.  Are you using Doom (Strict) compatibility in GZDoom?  I tested it out in GZDoom's default compatibility mode too, and it worked there as well.  So I'm not sure what happened.

I use default compatibility...I'm sure I'll play through the WAD again, as I've enjoyed the experience greatly (up to Map 30 now), so if I see it next time, I'll let you know and try to provide more information.

interesting concept: you have the same maps as doom64, but with more monster types... the only thing i didn't understand: why did you have to sacrifice the spider mastermind monster for the mother queen monster ? couldn't you use the ss soldier ? or no monster replaced at all ?

i red some of the text of this thread, it seems the project is a concerted effort of many people, took many years, stagnated but at some point it has been completed.

On 7/6/2020 at 11:05 AM, Da Werecat said:

It was impossible to add a secret exit to the first level, so instead Hectic was relocated to another slot. Standard Doom 2 progression, I'm afraid, including secret levels.

no problem, the different graphic + exclusive d2 monsters makes this an artistic re-imagination of doom 64

(maybe the exact amount of barrels in the exact places could have been used if it wasn't an issue, but is not absolutely necessary)

12 hours ago, nayoz said:

interesting concept: you have the same maps as doom64, but with more monster types... the only thing i didn't understand: why did you have to sacrifice the spider mastermind monster for the mother queen monster ? couldn't you use the ss soldier ? or no monster replaced at all ?

I didn't use the Mastermind for a few reasons.  It didn't get used in any of the other maps for one (it could have been used by someone if we kept it, but by the time I took the project over, I decided to save it for the new Motherdemon).  And I felt like it would have been an anti-climatic boss at the end of the game.  There was a point where I considered beefing the Mastermind up for the final boss, but then Cage was able to help out and create the brand-new sprites.  So that's when I decided to create a vanilla-like Motherdemon.  The Mastermind also has various boss-related properties that I wanted used for the Motherdemon, including explosion immunity and map-wide sound effects.  There are also other dehacked changes besides just the new Motherdemon, including the Nightmare Imps, Nightmare Cacodemon, and some other behind-the-scenes changes.  So the SS and Keen were both already replaced with those things.

Edited by Mechadon

11 hours ago, Mechadon said:

thanks, 1 question since you worked on this project:

were you able to add the unmaker ? i am a bit confused about outpost omega, as i never played that map before and can't be sure if something is missing or i simply skipped it: i found no trace of unmaker and the 1st demon key.

No, that's not something that's possible in vanilla Doom.  A new weapon could replace an existing weapon, but that's about as far as we could go.  Implementing the demon keys would essentially be impossible without altering huge portions of how the game behaves.

I would say the vast majority of people don't understand how vanilla Doom works.  But that's to be expected, we're the giga-nerds here who worked on the project :P.  So I don't mind answering these questions for the players, particularly when it comes to stuff that couldn't be carried over from the original N64 game.

On 11/13/2020 at 4:48 AM, Mechadon said:

No

thanks for the answer... i didn't know about the limitation of vanilla doom, whoever made gzdoom/zdoom really made things easier to expand :D

i just got a crazy idea... maybe i could make a mod to add the unmaker with an acs script at level start, this way it could be used not only on these maps, but on all maps when my mod would be loaded... i am thinking about reusing the code of powered heretic xbow for the 5 shots in an arc, taking the graphic of unmaker from a mod, the sound and projectile graphic from another, adding an acs code to make the weapon automatically replenish its ammo 5 each 6 seconds and use a different ammo type... not sure if i will pull it off, but then i would be able to finish to play these maps with my version of unmaker:D

of course if in the next years i will find the lost level maps redone by the community i will play those too, for now there is a huge quantity of player made levels of every kind accumulated for more than 15 years...

On 11/9/2020 at 11:38 PM, Bytefyre said:

I use default compatibility...I'm sure I'll play through the WAD again, as I've enjoyed the experience greatly (up to Map 30 now), so if I see it next time, I'll let you know and try to provide more information.

I figured out what I'd missed during my initial playthrough; I never grabbed the chaingun at the top of the stairs in the megasphere area because I was full on bullets.  Had I known that was a trigger to spawn those two arachnotrons, I definitely would've stepped on that small platform.  So all's well here!

finally, i was able to make a mod that adds the Unmaker ^^ (from doom64rtr) and the Soul Cube

Unmaker has 5% chance to drop when a barrel is destroyed, only 1 unmaker can drop each level. My version consumes only 2 ammo, has penetrating shots (+RIPPER) that gib on death... it is already upgraded to full once acquired, shoots 2 lasers in the center (it does appear as one) and 2 moving lasers (when fire button is held) 1 moving laser per side. The weapon adds 40 Cells.

Soulcube charges up with 100 points, all monsters provide 1 soul, except cyberdemon which gives 5, it can restore player life up to 200hp max while damaging monsters, it bounces and it homes for nearby monster to butcher, it takes some time to kill strong monsters.

here are the files + a .bat and .lnk with the parameter used to load the mod (which is made by 3 different files)

https://www.moddb.com/mods/doom-and-doom-ii-gameplay-mod-by-nixos

---------

edit: i finally finished the mappack... nice levels, but a bit too much cervellotic... i appreciated that there is a miniature of another room nearby a switch, and you see in real time what happens to the real room after the switch is pressed... unfortunately sometimes those things do not exist and players can end up wandering inside the level cluelessy

levels tend to be huge compared to the typical doom1 levels, and even more time intensive than doom2 levels

as a matter of preference i liked doom zero, hell 2 pay, perdition's gate more than doom64

still doom64 is better than master levels and doom 2.

my score:

1)doom zero, hell to pay, perdition's gate

2)no rest for the living, the lost episodes, doom ultimate

3)sigil, doom64

4)doom 2, master levels

Edited by nayoz

Hi there!  I have a question about the widescreen hellbar (the all green marble variety, not the one with the skin texture).  When I try to use this in PrBoom+, I still get the standard green bricks on each side of the hellbar rather than the skulls.  Is there some setting I need to adjust to make this work properly, or does this not work in certain source ports?

On 5/27/2021 at 11:21 PM, Bytefyre said:

Hi there!  I have a question about the widescreen hellbar (the all green marble variety, not the one with the skin texture).  When I try to use this in PrBoom+, I still get the standard green bricks on each side of the hellbar rather than the skulls.  Is there some setting I need to adjust to make this work properly, or does this not work in certain source ports?

I'm not entirely sure to be honest.  It's been a while since I've messed with anything related to the project, so please bear with me.  I believe the widescreen statusbars were only meant to work in ports like GZDoom.  I do remember having issues with them in Zandronum (pretty sure I made a bug report about it too, so maybe it got addressed at some point).  I dug through PrBoom+'s options, but it doesn't seem like there's a way to get wide-screen statusbars or graphics to work.  I did the same with Eternity and had the same results.

Maybe wide-screen graphics for those ports would be a good feature request?  Unless I'm missing something and they are already supported.

On 5/27/2021 at 11:51 PM, Devalaous said:

Since this was bumped; @Mechadon may be interested in adding this download to the first post; Doom 64 In Doom 2 widescreen graphics, made by @Terraformer9x.

d64d2_ws.zip

Hey these are great!  I'll happily add them to the first post.  Nice work @Terraformer9x, thanks for taking the time to make them :)

I've updated the wad with your new BOSSBACK graphic and tweaked the file name a bit.  The file is being hosted on my webspace.  If you want to setup a mirror link to it, send it my way and I'll get it posted.