DUSK vs Prodeus, which one to get

Which game to get first  

38 members have voted

1. 1. Which game to get first

• DUSK
    • Prodeus

I got boths, i can help you.

Dusk Pro's:

• Good movement on the game,you can play it circle strafing or bunnyhoping and both ways are really efective.
  • Great atsmoferic game, with a nice story showed you by details on the levels instead of cutscenes.
  • Great level desing on levels's with certain gimmick
  • Enemies feel like Doomie, but with they own tweak.
  • Balanced difficulty options.
  • Support for mods and soon, co-op.

Cons

• Duskworld it's alive only on frag nigths or in looking for playgroups.
  • The AI of the enemy's sometime can be dumb.
  • Duskmare it's a meme dificulty.
  • There's not a unique weapon on the game (Or something that's feel new on the game)
  • Aesthetic it's done to make it look as a Quake game (Not bad for me, but some people have their opinion on the grafics)

Pro's Prodeus.

• Game it's more combat focus than movement focus Headshots can be possible for you.
  • Punchie  blood and weapons sounds, will turn rooms red after a battles.
  • Great level desings in progessions and some gimmicks.
  • Powerful Editor of Maps that already have a couple of great maps.
  • All weapons feel powerful for any kind of enemies.

Prodeus Cons

• Still Early Access so don't show many things about how the enemy roster will be expanded.
  • Final game will be with 15+ weapons, not bad for me, but people can say it's will be bloated.
  • Aesthetic it's done to make it look as a Retro PS1 Sprite Based game with some touch of modern reflections and ligths (Not bad for me, but some people have their opinion on the grafics)
  • Checkpoints systems instead of save's where if you die, you just can respawn and the enemies that you killed will still stay death, only way to play clasic would be restarting the level.

I haven't played Prodeus yet, but i can say for a fact that DUSK is one of the best shooters i've ever played. You can't go wrong with DUSK.

1 hour ago, Szymanski said:

Dusk is better value, Prodeus is apparently very short

Is this a joke about self promotion, or is your username just a coincidence?

Playing for the other side, Prodeus Early Access it's not Short, i got almost 5 hours,  and still not finished the whole Early Access Campaing. That's not including the couple of custom maps that i played.

Hell, there's levels that feel very lengthy on how they play, and im pretty sure Dragonfly was in touch on thoses details.

The right answer is obviously to buy both.

But if you just can't, and the choice isn't obvious based on the game's themselves, then I'd say Dusk as it's "finished". Although it has been said at some point it might get a 4th episode. 

Whatever seems to hit closer to you.

Ask yourself which offers more of what you are looking for, and the answer should come in time. Though the obvious answer would be to get both eventually.

2 hours ago, Doominator2 said:

Is this a joke about self promotion, or is your username just a coincidence?

We're not related (that I know of)

Maybe I should have the custom title "Not the Dusk guy" just to avoid further confusion, my last one was lost in a forum update

Edited by Szymanski : extra stuff

I can't comment on Prodeus, since I haven't played it. It looks interesting, but money is tight, and I'd rather wait until it's further along in development anyway.

Dusk, however, is one of the most enjoyable first person shooters I've ever played. Everything about it just feels right. Movement, combat, enemy variety, atmosphere, music. It just works, and it's an absolute blast to play, and the amount of care spent on it really shines through. You do have to be okay with low poly models, but with very few exceptions they're all well designed and they fit the atmosphere perfectly. The only exceptions to this is the Dog Cart, which just looks goofy, and the Cowgirl/Big Mama/Twins model, which I've always thought should've had a few polygons added to it, it just looks like crap.

Other than that though, Dusk is fantastic. It's just fun to play, especially if you enjoyed the movement in Quake, bunny hopping, kind of a floaty feeling, you feel grounded to the game itself, but you can move around the playing areas extremely quickly. And it has more of a direct, structured, progressive advancement through the levels; it doesn't tend to have large arenas where you're locked in until you kill x amount of enemies.

The weapons, while not being particularly innovative, are all satisfying to use, there's really not a single weapon in the game that doesn't fulfill some kind of role. Even the starting sickles are useful since you can reflect enemy projectiles with them. The only one I didn't get a huge amount of use out of was the Mortar Launcher, since the Riveter is more powerful, but it's still useful for launching grenades around corners; and it comes in handy if you run out of Riveter rounds.

So yeah, in my opinion, get Dusk at the moment. Prodeus looks like it has some promise, but Dusk is a finished game. And some of the levels in the third episode are just beautiful. That, or wait until the Dusk/Amid Evil bundle goes on sale, Amid Evil is pretty damn good as well, and it's still getting regular updates/new stuff.

I would go with Dusk, simply because I've played it, and I know it's good. Nothing against Prodeus; it looks promising, and I hope it turns out to be great, but I can't comment since I haven't played it.

Get Dusk first, given that it is a finished product and Prodeus is in early access it makes sense as you'll have more bang for your buck, then by the time you finish Dusk, Prodeus might have more content (hopefully).

Prodeus however is a more "conventional" shooter compared to Dusk, a lot of Dusk is focused on your movement and pulling off fancy movements and by extension plays a lot quicker whilst Prodeus focus more on straight combat, picking and choosing your targets and appropriate weapon over movement.

Both (up to what I have played so far) have excellent map design so I can't really compare that.

They're both great, but here's how I would distill it:

-Dusk if you want a really unique singleplayer campaign.

-Prodeus if you're looking for MEATY combat.

Some things that might help.

-Dusk is finished, Prodeus is not.

-Prodeus is a more pure throwback shooter, whereas Dusk experiments with pure horror at times and also cribs things from immersive sims.

-Prodeus is closer to Doom, Dusk is closer to Quake, although they're both influenced by other games too

-Dusk is in my top 5 favourite games of all time. Prodeus is not ;)

Both are good, but if you can only get one, get Dusk and wait until Prodeus is finished.

It seems like DUSK still has the stronger campaign while Prodeus will be able to be played for years to come with that sweet map editor.

Edited by Captain Caleb

At another hand Prodeus has a great potential, because of awesome map editor...and better guns!

Wait for the Christmas sale and grab both. They're almost bound to be on sale - or if not, DUSK is at the very least.