Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
CBM

when to build your kid his or hers first pc?

when to build your kid his or hers first pc?

I have a kid, he is 9 and I have just ordered 250$ worth of parts to build a midrange-ish gaming rig for him..

he is very rough on the things that belong to him.. and the things that belongs to his parents...

the rig will be using an old 60Hz 1080p LCD, an AMD Ryzen 3 2200g and 2x4 GB memory

some parts I already have

His use cases thus far:

Minecraft

fortnite?

pubg?

rocket league

gzdoom?

YouTube

NetFlix

perhaps some games for kids if I can find any

I would prefer as many non-violent games as possible on his pc though

Edited by CBM

2 minutes ago, CBM said:

I would prefer as many non-violent games as possible on his pc though

Why?

Genuine question.

1 minute ago, seed said:

Why?

Genuine question.

just being an over concerned dad I guess

however, any kid-friendly game suggestions for a mid range system like this?

It's good to provide non-violent games first if the PC will be on their room. 

There's always great game that he will miss if he come first to play Violence Addicting games, im not saying FPS it's bad, but it's more for a teenarger, more if that's online.

My take, it's fantasy games, like Dragon Quest or Actions RPG, most of their storys are ligth-heart,show great stuff and it's mostly fun

Ah this brings me back, when I played Mortal Kombat and had the fatality codes in a magazine, and I was 10 or 11 I think :P

I mean, I don't think there's a tonne of harm in letting them play something like old school Doom or Heretic or what have you, because whilst they are unambiguously violent they're not very graphic or relatable to real life in anyway. But then, maybe they wouldn't be interested because they'd find it too dated, I'm not really sure how kids now react to games far older than they are at this point.

I would say maybe some adventure games, perhaps? Monkey Island, Sam and Max, Grim Fandango, The Book of Unwritten Tales and Day of the Tentacle might go over well. 

when I was younger on my first PC, Doom and Rise of the Triad was my first few games I had on the PC. If you insist, probably have him play some minecraft or sonic adventure or something.

45 minutes ago, CBM said:

he is very rough on the things that belong to him.. and the things that belongs to his parents...

genuine concern. Never ever use tempered glass in your casing build, as a side note.

interesting suggestions... however.. it would have to be games that has danish speech if it is adventure like games, since he does not understand, read or write english... he has also not yet learned to read and write danish

1 minute ago, ZeroTheEro said:

genuine concern. Never ever use tempered glass in your casing build, as a side note.

I have an old ATX case that I got for free that I plan on putting the system in

2 minutes ago, CBM said:

interesting suggestions... however.. it would have to be games that has danish speech if it is adventure like games, since he does not understand, read or write english... he has also not yet learned to read and write danish

that would be a tall order tbh. You'd be hard-pressed to look for one.

then again the games would be a good introduction to english for him.

1 minute ago, CBM said:

I have an old ATX case that I got for free that I plan on putting the system in

Good.

25 minutes ago, hybridial said:

I'm not really sure how kids now react to games far older than they are at this point.

It depends on what their first exposure will be mainly.

As a kid I grew up with NES games exclusively, almost, so when I got my first PC I was not hostile to the idea of "ancient relics" in any capacity, though I had the tendency to favor graphic fidelity for a period afterwards.

As for suggestions OP, to not hijack your thread too hard, apart from some racing games like Black Box's first NFS titles, Burnout, etc. can't really think of much that features no violence in any capacity.

Maybe Undertale, unless you go for Genocide runs.

14 minutes ago, CBM said:

Now... that is a significant blocker.

But unless they don't feature heavy dialogue, he should still manage to find his way through. When I was his age I barely knew any English.

If gzdoom is going to be something he plays as you said, I recommend not getting certain mods like brutal doom, as that is far too violent and gory for him. It also has a few curse words as taunts in there, though I dont think theres any danish translations so he possibly wont understand what "Go F yourself!!" is. For some kid friendly doom mods, I recommend something like Chex Quest (Obviously) or The Adventures of Square.

EDIT: Theyre mor of TCs, but they are practically all compatible with gzdoom.

Edited by PSI Boredom Ω

1 minute ago, seed said:

As for suggestions OP, to not hijack your thread too hard, apart from some racing games like Black Box's first NFS titles, Burnout, etc. can't really think of much that features no violence in any capacity.

Oh yeah, you reminded me of a game I recently got, BallisticNG which is basically Wipeout in all but name, it's very cheap, it has very low requirements and I think it's very good. It's not the easiest thing to play but it might be a decent option. 

4 minutes ago, Pegg said:

I wouldn't let him do PUBG. FPS MP games are pretty aweful for a 9 year old unless he is going to play with chat off completely. 

*GETS VIVID FLASHBACKS OF COD MW2 AND BO2 CHAT LOBBIES*

12 minutes ago, PSI Boredom Ω said:

*GETS VIVID FLASHBACKS OF COD MW2 AND BO2 CHAT LOBBIES*

That's was the meta game, scream at the lobbie.

I hope my input helps.
When ? I don't know. We had our first PC when I was 9, I shared it with 3 siblings.
Non-violent video games ? Minecraft is good... roblox maybe ( it has violent games but it is mostly targeted towards kids so I don't know. ) When I was 10 I started playing Star wars battlefront II. It wasn't that violent as it had no blood. I don't know whether the modern battlefront has blood or not. I started to put my english into practise on it. When I discovered minecraft in 2011 I got pretty much addicted to playing video games and my grades sunk, so be careful.
My parents never allowed me to play games that were rated above my age. When my brother bought an FPS we actually had to wait to be 16 to play it... perhaps you should pay attention to pegi ratings etc. ?

If I had kids, rather than being concerned about the level of violence in their games, i'd be more concerned with how much time they spend on them :D it's easy to get addicted... I think I would limit the playing time to weekends only. That's just my 2 cents.

Edited by Trupiak : Typos

My experience as gamer since kid is particular enough.

I started playing the nes when i had 3 years old, and get my first family PC and sega genesis at 4.

Played Mario, Doom, Psycho Pinball, Sonic and lots of games.

Violence never was something that alarmed my parents, they teach me and my brother that games are not reallity, and what is done on games is bad on reallity, most of the times.

At the same time, i found an RPG, with tons and tons of english text, and i wasn't a native speaker as much as i am right now.

My mom was studying english, and so she had some english dictionaries.

I learn to read by myself, bu i was embarrassed of telling my parents as my brother was/is very envious.

So i take my mother dictionarie in secret and start, word by word, learning english.

What i try to say, is that english games, if they are really good and you kid like it enough, could be a great motivation for learning english.

Man i got a pc when i was like, 5 years old, and it was a blast. I didn't really began browsing the internet until much later though. I played a lot of FPS games like Doom 3 and Medal of Honor, flight simulators like IL2 sturmovik were a blast too. Kids age 9 and up can play anything really, don't shy away from throwing some really challenging stuff. Fantasy worlds can look absolutely amazing as a kid, so things like maybe final fantasy, dark souls...

Platformers such as A hat in time, or strategy games like Disgaea are also really cool. Ultimately i can't know for sure what kind of stuff he'll like though, but yeah what i'm trying to say is don't hold back on the more challenging stuff, kids these days are good at this.

About the english thing, i somehow managed to complete doom 3 and get the objectives done without speaking any english at all, and playing a lot of english games helped me quite a bit learning the language at a young age, not sure how many games out there have a danish translation

Get him to play great old classics. Install NES, SNES, Nintendo 64, PSX, Sega Gegenis emulators and the such. Stuff like Legend of Zelda and Chrono Trigger teach better values than any games nowadays could.

Whenever you get tired of them using yours.

If it were my kid, I would've given them my own curated introduction to gaming long before I built them their own machine - starting as I did, with Atari 2600 before I was even potty trained.

10 hours ago, PSI Boredom Ω said:

If gzdoom is going to be something he plays as you said, I recommend not getting certain mods like brutal doom, as that is far too violent and gory for him. It also has a few curse words as taunts in there, though I dont think theres any danish translations so he possibly wont understand what "Go F yourself!!" is. For some kid friendly doom mods, I recommend something like Chex Quest (Obviously) or The Adventures of Square.

EDIT: Theyre mor of TCs, but they are practically all compatible with gzdoom.

yes, it was exactly those kinds of TCs I was thinking about when it comes to GZDoom stuff

I was also thinking that Sonic Robo Blast 2 would be a good game to put on it

BallisticNG, Burnout and NFS games would also be good options... he loves cars :D

I will be sure to check age ratings of the games, he does spend time on his tablet and learns english that way... however.. he did destroy a few tablets already... however I am not concerned about him using too much time on a PC, since he loves to be outside whenever he can

I will be sure to install some emulators in order to play older games as well

-----

it also gave me an opportunity to fix my own main rig

its motherboard has been on a steady decline since 2016... its an msi motherboard and stuff has started failing on it ...

first ram slots, then usb 3 and I wonder what will fail next on it...

also .. it recently took out 3! 128 GB PNY SSDs that no longer have warranty.. that was the last straw for me.

so...

I am building a "new" main pc in order to continue to be able to use my GTX1080 card...

ASUS PRIME B350+

AMD Ryzen 5 2600

4x8 GB DDR4 3200 Kingston HyperX Fury

then it should be roughly equivalent to the pc I originally bought back in 2016 (now disassembled):

shit MSI mainboard (z170-a pro)

i7-6700K

4x8 GB DDR4 2400 Noname brand

they are pretty close

https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i7-6700K-vs-AMD-Ryzen-5-2600/3502vs3955

even if the i7-6700k is ever so slightly faster

as a side note... I got my first computer.. an Amiga 500 at the age of 14 :-D

my current ryzen collection

a R3 2200G, a R3 3200G and now a R5 2600

Edited by CBM

Sonic

Rollercoaster Tycoon

Castle Crashers

Destroy All Humans

Tetris

Super Fancy Pants Adventure

Cuphead

Rayman Legends

Roblox

Webkinz

Also, as others have said, emulators. I personally recommend N64 with Banjo Kazooie, Tony Hawk Pro Skater 1-3, Zelda, and Super Mario 64.

1 hour ago, Serum said:

Sonic

Rollercoaster Tycoon

Castle Crashers

Destroy All Humans

Tetris

Super Fancy Pants Adventure

Cuphead

Rayman Legends

Roblox

Webkinz

Also, as others have said, emulators. I personally recommend N64 with Banjo Kazooie, Tony Hawk Pro Skater 1-3, Zelda, and Super Mario 64.

nice suggestions. I will certainly give those a try too

along with monster truck madness 1 and 2