Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
snapshot

[Mod] Doom 3 subtle improvements

Thx I'll stick to the default ones, not worth it if it's just renaming. I'll leave comments next to each surftype to make it easier to find which is which.

Edited by sluggard

So I'm trying to play Doom 3 again with these subtle improvements and I'm impressed.

Currently playing on Veteran and the ammo re-balance is really good stuff, actually made me use more of my pistol and prioritize ammo for specific enemies.

Great work.

Thanks, I've done some progress with the footstep sounds but there's a lot of materials and having to insert them manually into each one will take forever, I think I'll just upload what I've done so far, It's hardly noticeable besides in the few outdoor areas.

Thanks for this, but link does not appear to me :/

"Sorry, there is a problem

We could not locate the item you are trying to view.

Error code: 2S328/1"

Some feedback, because you increased the range of zombie attacks (and also of the player fists), the chainsaw can get a little awkward to use in general, with me constantly going back and fort while fighting basic zombies. Maybe make the same change to the chainsaw?

I just updated it. small change to prevent gibbing bodies with flashlight, and as requested by someone in the comments I added a separate addon to disable Plasma gun projectile lights for weaker PC owners, and of course I fixed the chainsaw bug.

Edited by sluggard

Updated! some of these have been up for some time now but they were too small to post here, it's about time I updated the OP

• Included the separate .pk4 for disabling plasma projectile dynamic lights / glow in the main .zip for weaker PC owners.
  • Added a new raise sound for double-barreled shotgun (Thanks Shockwave_S08!)
  • Trites now bleed and explode in red instead of yellow.
  • Chaingun Reserve ammo count is now positioned properly (Thanks Shockwave_S08!)
  • Chaingun clip size increased to 120, and updated its GUI to support it.
  • Reduced chaingun damage slightly to balance with the increased clip size.
  • Flashlight no longer gibs bodies.
  • Added screen recoil effect for attacking using Flashlight.
  • Z-Sec firing sounds are now the same as the player's
  • Added a new splash screen to let users know the patch is working.
Edited by sluggard

I would like to offer up a separate "rebalance" minimod for your consideration, with the following changes. It's intended to tighten up the ammo pool for all weapons, to avoid the usual propensity of overstocking on seemingly-limitless ammo, yet to also remain fair at all times.

NOTE: This minimod requires that D3FE v2.2 is installed.

Changelog is in the spoiler.

Spoiler

Shockwave_S08's Rebalance for D3: Fixed Edition v2.2

• Unofficial support has been added for The Lost Mission.
  • Armor: Maximum armor reduced to 50. Armor Shard gives +1. Security Armor gives +25.
  • Pistol: Maximum ammo reduced to 60 bullets. 
  • Shotgun: Max ammo is reduced to 40 shells. Spread tightened, as per the optional addon, with damage halved to 7 per pellet to compensate for the increased accuracy. Gun pickup reduced to 4 shells. Small shell pickup raised to 8 shells. Large shell pickup raised to 12 shells.
  • Double-Barreled Shotgun (ROE/TLM): Picking up a DBS yields 2 shells.
  • Machinegun: Maximum ammo reduced to 300 rounds. Small clip pickup lowered to 15 rounds. Large clip pickup lowered to 30 rounds.
  • Chaingun: Maximum ammo reduced to 360 rounds, for three full belts of carnage.
  • Hand Grenades: Maximum grenade capacity to 24.
  • Plasmagun: Maximum ammo reduced to 250.
  • Rocket Launcher: Maximum rockets reduced to 25.
  • BFG-9000: Maximum BFG Cells reduced to 16.

ModDB Link

Edited by Shockwave_S08 : Redid ModDB link.

6 hours ago, Shockwave_S08 said:

<quote>

Neat, you might want to also upload this as an addon in the mod's page.

Edited by sluggard

10 hours ago, Shockwave_S08 said:

Unofficial support has been added for The Lost Mission.

How does that work, technically? Aren't the data formats incompatible between D3 and D3BFG?

4 minutes ago, Gez said:

How does that work, technically? Aren't the data formats incompatible between D3 and D3BFG?

I think he meant this

Shockwave's addon may be just what I wanted to see coming to this mod, the two combined likely make the game quite a bit more enjoyable.

I'll be sure to check them out both if I go back to Doom 3 in the future.

I'd add those re-balance changes to the main mod, but I love the melee shotgun, the "even tighter" ammo re-balance sounds like it might make some parts too much of a slog or make newcomers to the game suffer lol, so I think it's best if they stay as an addon for those who really want it.

Edited by sluggard

Can you make the Cyberdemon not die to the Soulcube lol. So it can be a real fight.

I'll see if that's possible lol, iirc there was a mod that did that before but you could still kill him with the Soulcube even with the mod loaded.

i dont think the fight is bad because its an inherently bad idea to only damage the cyberdemon w/ the soulcube. The problem is that theres no urgency to anything going on. maybe if the fodder demons spawning in were more powerful and spawned more quickly. Then you'd have to make some pretty dire decisions, like whether it's worth it to soulcube something like a mancubus to regain health and take it off the board, when you COULD have used that soulcube to progress in the boss fight, etc

It's been so long since last time I messed with Doom 3 level editing, I forgot most of the controls of the editor. could try making a tougher version of Hellhole with monsters spawning faster if I figure out how to do it, once I get used to DarkRadiant again. I might also make "Hell" variants of the monsters (besides the Imp and Hellknight obv) that move and attack faster and spawn them instead of the regular ones for this boss, or just speed up the regular ones instead lol.

For a Cyberdemon that can be killed with any weapon you can use the gameplay changes addon, it also removes the soul cube from your inventory once you enter hellhole. funnily enough it just makes the boss even easier lol, since his AI wasn't adjusted to stop attacking every now and then when you're close to him yet. Right now the boss in D3FE is just the same boss in vanilla doom 3 but with a sped-up Cyberdemon, but hopefully I'll include the updated Hellhole with the faster spawn rate and faster monsters in the next update once I have enough time to play around with mods some more.

Edited by sluggard

It should be up now, arch-viles and revenants work quite well because you have to prioritize them over imps and maggots, especially with the new archvile incinerate action, more imps and maggots will spawn from multiple sides of the hell hole aswell now, instead of just the side that's closest to player. I tried mancubus but I felt he was too bulletspongy and didn't really add much challenge other than making the boss drag for too long.

Edited by sluggard

Got a few additional inconsistencies to report.

• The flashlight's beam needs to be positioned as close to the center of the screen as possible. It does get a bit awkward to have to look slightly to my left all the time just to see where I'm actually headed. Tweaking the first-person viewmodel might solve this one.
  • For some reason, the "headless" maintenance zombies still spawn brains and eyes when gibbed by heavy firepower, despite everything from the jawline-up having been torn off, as depicted on the character model.

Would it be possible to make a "third" iteration that combines not just the default fixes and ammo rebalancing, but also to eliminate that jostling and staggering caused by enemy melee attacks? Or perhaps teach me how to dig into the enemy files and adjust it myself for my owm rebalance?

4 hours ago, Shockwave_S08 said:

to eliminate that jostling and staggering caused by enemy melee attacks?

I'm not sure how to do that, It looks as if the game is displaying a material to handle these with mtr_blob though I could be mistaken, you should probably try looking in the material definitions and see if you can find bite, leftSmack and rightSmack.

EDIT: kick_time and kick_amplitude is what you need to change to modify it, it looks like these only affect the screen effect and not the actual player physics.

Edited by sluggard

Given how D3EE has evolved far beyond my already-high expectations, I have elected to discontinue my personal rebalance addon, for I feel that the balance is absolute perfection at this point. I would like to give one last thing: In The Lost Mission, the middle-names of UAC personnel aren't initialed properly like D3 and ROE; I have uploaded a very small minimod via Mediafire, for Sluggard to implement at his leisure for the next update.

The addon is over here, on Mediafire.