Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Rudolph

Wolfenstein 3D and Heretic levels in Doom II?

Hi everyone,

I am fairly new to the Doom community so I was wondering if there are megawads that allow you to play Wolfenstein 3D and Heretic's levels with Doom's arsenal and monsters, i.e. what Id did for Doom II's secret levels.

I know there are several Doom total conversion projects recreating Wolfenstein 3D, but those are not what I am looking for. Similarly, I know of Romero's Heresy and DM2CONV, but the former has an ugly colour palette and the latter causes all the Heretic levels to look like a weird acid trip.

Thanks in advance!

Wolfenstein 3D levels are too simple and cramped for Doom's arsenal and monsters. And for Heretic, it's much easier to make a mod with weapons and monsters from Doom than to port levels or create a megawad.

By the way, WolfenDOOM already contains everything you need. Just remove the excess and get the completed levels.

What do you mean by "remove the excess"?

And which Wolfendoom are you referring to specifically? Googling it gives me several results, including Blade of Agony.

2 hours ago, Rudolph said:

What do you mean by "remove the excess"?

Need to remove everything that does not apply directly to the levels themselves.

2 hours ago, Rudolph said:

And which Wolfendoom are you referring to specifically? Googling it gives me several results, including Blade of Agony.

Any that has file original.wad. Specifically, it contains levels.

One time I had started remaking the first Wolf3D level but with Doom-y textures, monsters and weapons. It looked cool but the gameplay was very stale. Maybe I will revisit that project at a later date and try to find a way to make it more engaging.

@fraggle made Heretic 4 Doom which lets you load Heretic maps into Doom. If you want to play the original Heretic IWAD maps you need to extract them from heretic.wad without the other resources.

Samsara lets you play with various id games (and others) characters in any Doom/Heretic/Hexen map.

I made my own "Doomguy in Heretic" ZDoom thing awhile ago, and probably substituting the monsters isn't hard. I had no plans to release it since is lacks polish and it's pretty barebones, but I can post it here if you want.

Edited by plums

3 hours ago, Nevander said:

One time I had started remaking the first Wolf3D level but with Doom-y textures, monsters and weapons. It looked cool but the gameplay was very stale. Maybe I will revisit that project at a later date and try to find a way to make it more engaging.

Maybe you can try to do as I suggested. The levels are ready. You will need to work on the balance and some small things.

Although the gameplay will still be very stale, the levels are too primitive. :)

http://www.wolfenvault.com/files/resources/The_Official_Hint_Manual_for_Wolfenstein_3d_-_Id_Software_1992.pdf

This book has top-down views of all the Wolfenstein 3D maps. I've used a couple as basic layouts then gone and altered them, changed heights, added staircases etc. to "Doom-ify" them. Might be of help to you if you want to experiment? The hardest part is re-scaling everything. I interpreted a map square in the Wolfenstein maps as a 128x128x128 sector and went from there. Seemed to work ok.

Hmmm... This sounds a bit too complicated for me. 

To be honest, I just want to be able to play Heretic levels with gameplay mods that have not been made compatible with Heretic. I recently came across Combine_Kegan's GMOTA total conversion and thought its dark fantasy-themed arsenal and bestiary would be perfect for Heretic's levels. I tried to convert the mod myself, but I am just not good at that sort of things, so if there are no better alternatives, I guess I will just have to settle for Romero's Heresy 1...

As for Wolf3D, well, I had fun blasting through Doom II's secret Wolfenstein levels with Combined Arms Gaiden, another Combine_Kegan creation, so I was just wondering if there were more vanilla Doom II-compatible recreated Wolfenstein 3D mapsets out there. If there are not, well, I guess it is too bad...

Thanks anyway!

Edited by Rudolph

Wait, are they not the same person? :o

EDIT: Aw, crap! You are right. My mistake. I guess the confusion comes from the fact that I have been playing both creators' mods lately and they share similar retro, NES/SNES/SEGA/Arcade aesthetics.

Edited by Rudolph

Reviving this thread to ask the following question: does anyone know of good Wolfenstein and Heretic-inspired mapsets/megawads for Doom II?

By which I mean levels that use those games' textures and art assets but feature vanilla Doom II gameplay.

8 minutes ago, Mr Masker said:

Blade of Agony looks pretty interesting

Technically that's not vanilla Doom 2 gameplay at all...

Can't really think of anything as they are usually a mixture of all types of assets.

5 hours ago, Rudolph said:

does anyone know of good Wolfenstein and Heretic-inspired mapsets/megawads for Doom II?

Even standard maps with texture packs are suitable for many thematic gameplay mods. You can also use the Oblige map generator.

Spoiler

1 hour ago, GarrettChan said:

Technically that's not vanilla Doom 2 gameplay at all...

Can't really think of anything as they are usually a mixture of all types of assets.

its still started from Doom 2. Nothing was said about gameplay

I specifically asked for mapsets that feature vanilla Doom II gameplay.

Anyway, I accidentally stumbled upon this:

https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom2/p-r/pc_wdoom

Apparently, back in 2008, Paul Corfiatis remade some vanilla Doom levels into Wolfenstein-themed ones. Now, this is exactly what I have been looking for! Unfortunately, it is only 11 levels long, so the search continues.

16 hours ago, Rudolph said:

Apparently, back in 2008, Paul Corfiatis remade some vanilla Doom levels into Wolfenstein-themed ones. Now, this is exactly what I have been looking for! Unfortunately, it is only 11 levels long, so the search continues.

As a result, we return to the beginning, WolfenDoom. :)

There are a decent number of episodes: Original Missions, Nocturnal Missions, Spear of Destiny, Mission Packs.

Kama Sutra did remake Heretic's E1M4 as a slaughtermap, and it's by far one of the most memorable levels in the whole wad.

2 hours ago, Doomenator said:

As a result, we return to the beginning, WolfenDoom. :)

There are a decent number of episodes: Original Missions, Nocturnal Missions, Spear of Destiny, Mission Packs.

Wait, what release is this? The WolfenDoom I tried playing with Combined Arms Gaiden ("original.wad") had different music and no episode selection screen, the corridors were much more cramped and the ammo limit seemed to be limited to 99.

Edited by Rudolph

1 hour ago, Rudolph said:

Wait, what release is this? The WolfenDoom I tried playing with Combined Arms Gaiden ("original.wad") had different music and no episode selection screen, the corridors were much more cramped and the ammo limit seemed to be limited to 99.

I don't remember what release, it doesn't matter. I used the BigDoom mod by Josh771, so the levels are 2x in size. In addition, I made some changes for compatibility. In any case, this is just a trial version.

What is the name of the file you are using?

I tried the following launch order with GZDoom: "-deh original.deh -file original.wad orig15.wad Combined_Arms_Gaiden.pk3"

However, I still get the issues I previously mentioned, i.e. wrong music, 99-ammo limit, no episode selection screen.

I think I managed to track down the file you are using:

https://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?t=48518

Which is a different release from the original WolfenDoom made by Laz Rojas. Unfortunately, while I get the correct soundtrack and episode selection screen, I find myself unable to pick ammo for Combined Arms Gaiden's Shotgun weapon. :o

EDIT: What is doubly weird is that I do not encounter such issue with other .pk3 files contained in the pack, such as Astrostein.

Edited by Rudolph

10 hours ago, D.Vile said:

Kama Sutra did remake Heretic's E1M4 as a slaughtermap, and it's by far one of the most memorable levels in the whole wad.

MAP31 from that wad is also a Heretic remake, specifically E1M5 :)