Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Johnatone

bands in my pocket

well, i always mention my band every chance i get, so i figure, why not a formal thread?

band: monochrome
members: johnathan - vocals, guitars, keyboards, sequencers, programming, bass, drums, others
lauren: vocals, bass, drums

in the last four years, my band has gone from one form to another, but it's in it's permanent stages as of now. we're always underbudget, always lacking proper recording equipment, and always slow going, but things are picking up. although as of now i am the only 'real' member (i've written and produced all of the music up to now), but a fellow schoolmate, a sophmore (i'm a soph too) female named lauren, has agreed to be in monochrome; however, she doesn't have her equipment and until we figure out some way to get her some, she hasn't taken part in the writing process.

musically, i try to steer towards a techno and industrial sound. i'm greatly and directly inspired by new order, nine inch nails, and joy division. i have three songs, three original songs (one a remix), which i haven't thrown out. one of them (and its remix) is kinda pop techno, the other is more darker industrial. lyricaly, all of my lyrics are dark, but i've always been a dark and negative person. my latest batch of lyrics was actually compared to joy division's, which i find to be a great honour. some people say my voice sucks, others like it.

i'm hoping to be out of the recording studio (my room) and performing live by the end of the year, with the album to boot. we'll see. when i get some more songs done and figure out how to get them to download off of tripod, i'll link you.

now it's your turn. tell me about your band, if you have one.

I'd love to form a band. It's one of my aims in life. I can't really play any instrument though, so I suppose I could only be lead singer or something. And I love singing :D

If you've got some MP3s, please, send them to me so I can pass them along to Freenode Radio, which also requires permission, so, if you give me permission, yeah...a lot of people listen to Freenode Radio too.

techno and industrial, huh? Hmm, I'd like to hear some.

I technically have a one-person band called "IkeTech". I do all the sequencing, synth programming, patch creating, recording, mastering, burning, artwork, and everything else. I write instrumental songs, though a few of them have lyrics (just not sung). My music ranges from techno (trance and house, mostly), experimental, minimalistic techno (ala Kraftwerk), Japanese pop music, semi-jazz, game-specific music, and basic synthesizer rock. I also find that most people are kind of surprised to hear that I use no synthesis software like Fruty Loops or anything. All my synths and most of my recording equipment are hardware. The only software I use is GoldWave to record with, and CakeWalk Pro Audio to sequence with. And Lame when people want to hear some samples.

I've written somewhere around 100 original songs, and a bunch of re-arrangements and remixes.

I kind of had a four person band in middle school called "The Blue Angels". Had me on synth, Matt on baritone sax, Pat on clarinet, and I thought someone else too...we never got past our second practice session.

Heh. I make music, but I'm restricted by my current tools. All I have now to work with is Fruity Loops. The resulting tracks are okay for something like Doom music or something, but otherwise I'm feeling musicaly trapped.

I occasionally screw around with Fruityloops 3 but so far I have been too lazy to finish a song. When I do finish something, I'll think of posting it here.

"Study Six"

I remember singing Song 2 by Blur at a rather dunken ball at school. I was lead vocals. We sucked, heh. Well, we were quite good when sober but a drunken sextet is never a good idea :P

We had aspirations of shading Coldplay but that never came to pass.

i had an mp3 of a remix of one of my songs, but it was of poor quality. i'm going to rerecord it sometime. when i write, i sit down with my keyboard (a yamaha psr-185), my guitar, my .txt lyrics files, and some of my favorite music, and then compose all my songs into midi files using quartz audio master freeware. i'm not good enough at my instruments to record mp3 versions yet (besides the remix) but when i get my friend to let me use his yamaha qy-70, i'll get some then pass 'em along.

i also composed a song tonight. three hours. my total count for the album is three original songs and two covers, and a remix for the single. damn, this is taking a while.