Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
aGuyNamedKeith

Here's an idea: Doom Builder Online

Simple as that, a version of Doom Builder 2 implemented for use in the web browser. I wanted this because I use a school computer sometimes, and I try to install Doom Builder 2. but obviously, you need admin rights. I tried every method of bypassing admin rights I could, and let me just say, I have to give credit where credit is due, they do a really good job making sure you can't bypass admin rights.

Not only would it be convenient for me, but several other people who are limited in computer modification, so please, make this happen. I would do this myself, but I have almost NO experience with source code.

(Okay, I just thought of an idea where I could send a zip of the Doom Builder and GZDoom files to my computer via email from my personal PC, but still, someone, make this happen, please.)

4 hours ago, MyNameIsKeith said:

Simple as that,

LMAO

Keith, you obviously have no idea of the amount of work and time commitment involved to implement this.

Simple it is not.

As to admin rights, do not install the editor in Program Files 

As Kappes said porting a complete map editor for a video game online as a web app is anything but simple, the only simple thing about it is coming up with the idea.

However I'm pretty sure you just want to be able to use (Ultimate) Doom Builder and GZDoom or any other port on the school computers or any other PC you want to. So I'd suggest simply putting UDB and GZDoom and whatever else you want on a USB stick like I myself have to be able to run them from anywhere without putting them on the actual computer. No need to email yourself the files or something. However if the permission restrictions on your school PCs are so strict that you can't even run non-whitelisted executables then there isn't much you can do.

17 hours ago, inkoalawetrust said:

As Kappes said porting a complete map editor for a video game online as a web app is anything but simple, the only simple thing about it is coming up with the idea.

However I'm pretty sure you just want to be able to use (Ultimate) Doom Builder and GZDoom or any other port on the school computers or any other PC you want to. So I'd suggest simply putting UDB and GZDoom and whatever else you want on a USB stick like I myself have to be able to run them from anywhere without putting them on the actual computer. No need to email yourself the files or something. However if the permission restrictions on your school PCs are so strict that you can't even run non-whitelisted executables then there isn't much you can do.

Yeah, you're right. I thought on the idea of a USB Drive, but here's the thing... I don't have one. I used to, but I'm pretty sure it broke. I'd ask my mom for one, but I'm pretty sure she would say know because I've been bothering her on Christmas gifts (And you heard it here first, I'm kind of an a-hole), and because she told me she spent over $2,000 on X-mas gifts for my whole family, I feel like I shouldn't bother her with that.

Actually, this morning I went on my home PC and uploaded a folder of the Doom Builder 2 files to drive, and successfully managed to download them onto my school one. The thing is, that my school computer doesn't have DirectX, so there's a problem right there. Still, I appreciate and thank you for your recommendations.

6 hours ago, MyNameIsKeith said:

Yeah, you're right. I thought on the idea of a USB Drive, but here's the thing... I don't have one. I used to, but I'm pretty sure it broke. I'd ask my mom for one, but I'm pretty sure she would say know because I've been bothering her on Christmas gifts (And you heard it here first, I'm kind of an a-hole), and because she told me she spent over $2,000 on X-mas gifts for my whole family, I feel like I shouldn't bother her with that.

Actually, this morning I went on my home PC and uploaded a folder of the Doom Builder 2 files to drive, and successfully managed to download them onto my school one. The thing is, that my school computer doesn't have DirectX, so there's a problem right there. Still, I appreciate and thank you for your recommendations.

USB Drives are pretty cheap, you can get one that has 32 or 64 GB of storage for only 3-5 euros. In fact I plan on buying FIVE of them for only 20 euros because the 32 GB USB I myself use to store stuff such as GZDoom and UDB has a corrupted folder, and because I can't transfer that data to my desktop due to it only having 5 GB of space left, to allow me to reformat and repair the USB and put the stuff back in. I have to instead buy more thumb drives, and want to buy even more than needed just in case.*

As for DirectX I'm surprised that is actually the case. With school computers I expected the problem to be the opposite (Not having OpenGL 3.3+) if said problem even existed due to that version of OpenGL that GZDoom and UDB use already being pretty old. In that case you should just get Ultimate Doom Builder instead since it uses OpenGL instead of DirectX for rendering. In fact you should just use UDB anyway or at least the last version of GZDB Bugfix since both of these are far more recent and full of useful features than the original Doom Builder 2, which is archaic by now.

*Including a 128 GB USB to put a copy of my entire hard drive in it, because my HDD is only 74 GB large.

Changing the subject a bit, when i saw this i thought it was about an editor that let multiple people edit the same map simultaneously...
Something more or less like this:

Heh, that would be very cool!

19 hours ago, Noiser said:

Changing the subject a bit, when i saw this i thought it was about an editor that let multiple people edit the same map simultaneously...

Okay, honestly, that idea you had is better then what I had in mind.

21 hours ago, inkoalawetrust said:

USB Drives are pretty cheap, you can get one that has 32 or 64 GB of storage for only 3-5 euros. In fact I plan on buying FIVE of them for only 20 euros because the 32 GB USB I myself use to store stuff such as GZDoom and UDB has a corrupted folder, and because I can't transfer that data to my desktop due to it only having 5 GB of space left, to allow me to reformat and repair the USB and put the stuff back in. I have to instead buy more thumb drives, and want to buy even more than needed just in case.*

As for DirectX I'm surprised that is actually the case. With school computers I expected the problem to be the opposite (Not having OpenGL 3.3+) if said problem even existed due to that version of OpenGL that GZDoom and UDB use already being pretty old. In that case you should just get Ultimate Doom Builder instead since it uses OpenGL instead of DirectX for rendering. In fact you should just use UDB anyway or at least the last version of GZDB Bugfix since both of these are far more recent and full of useful features than the original Doom Builder 2, which is archaic by now.

*Including a 128 GB USB to put a copy of my entire hard drive in it, because my HDD is only 74 GB large.

Nice idea, but I actually checked my computer, and apparently, it does indeed have DirectX. When I opened the app, it said that "DirectX wasn't installed or up to date." Later, I checked the specs, and DirectX was in fact installed. I did some research, and while I can't pinpoint the problem, I did find a solution: use the installer.

I decided to use the Ultimate Doom Builder, and it works perfectly. Thanks.

Edited by MyNameIsKeith

22 hours ago, Noiser said:

I was thinking precisely the same thing. It would actually be quite an interesting feature, at least it could facilitate things like those old ZDoom collaboration maps or Doom-1.

Wow, it would actually be really cool if Ultimate Doom Builder/Doom Builder X each had collaborative building support. Maybe (only a maybe) for the formats they both support, they could be cross-compatible? This would be a really amazing feature to see! :D Some unified standard from the community between map editors for online editing would be incredible to see. Hell, maybe this could even be put into Slade. I'm no programmer, but surely it'd be easy to just track the changes made between clients of any editor, right? They're editing the same level formats, even if the code for the editors is different, right?

On 11/17/2020 at 2:14 PM, Noiser said:

I thought that this thread was about something like this. This would be hella awesome tho.

Apparently during Doom's development Romero was playing with some NeXT features in DoomED like shared objects, which allowed for DoomED to be networked. I can't remember the source on it, but there's a story of it where one person's laying down lines while someone else is busy placing things in the level.

I assume in practice it didn't get too much use, but it did exist apparently.

1 hour ago, SaladBadger said:

Apparently during Doom's development Romero was playing with some NeXT features in DoomED like shared objects, which allowed for DoomED to be networked. I can't remember the source on it, but there's a story of it where one person's laying down lines while someone else is busy placing things in the level.

I assume in practice it didn't get too much use, but it did exist apparently.

But DoomEd was much simpler. Effectively it only had lines and things. Vertices, linedefs, sidedefs and sectors were generated at compile time, so at edit time there was no need to care about their relation as community-made editor have to.

On 11/16/2020 at 2:24 PM, MyNameIsKeith said:

Simple as that, a version of Doom Builder 2 implemented for use in the web browser

There's a version of Minecraft that runs in a browser - classic.minecraft.net - Quite impressive actually. I checked out the Javascript source - it's huge for a JS file - 3mb - and it probably references other JS file. A Doom Builder Online (tm) would need to be either big ass JS or - more likely - some sort of browser plugin (Java, .NET, activex). In either case, it would be a huge task to port it.

Also, public/corporate/academic networks are secured for a reason. The sysadmins are quite correct to prevent execution of unknown programs. Trying to hack it is likely to be noticed.