Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
pritch

Who's your favourite mapper, newbie?

This question has been asked before, I'm sure, but I thought I'd suss out the opinions of our newer members here, though of course you all can reply.

So, who's your favourite mapper and for what?

Mine is Chris Lutz of The Chaos Crew, for various greatness over the years including the blissful inferno.wad, the only E3 conversion that made E3 good!

There are plenty of mappers that I like, but one of them is Michael Krause - the guy who made aniceday.wad, go2kill.wad etc. as those 14 maps are among my favourite single maps of all time. The Robinsons (Bryant and Kevin) and the Casalis (Dario and Milo) have to be up there as well (for obvious reasons).

Oh, and there's myself of course...

Ritenour nor Lutz are new IMO, Inferno or Phobos 2, are getting up there in age (and are still great wads, btw!).

My favorite mappers are Nightmare & Afterglow.. though I havn't been too in-tuned with the mapping scene lately, Iv'e been digging Cyb's newer levels, btrain is still a classic.. the zort series kicks a lot of ass. Tarin, of course.. although he hasn't been producing many maps lately :/ ... and, of course 'anonymous' for dwforums.wad :P

Ed said:

Ritenour nor Lutz are new IMO, Inferno or Phobos 2, are getting up there in age

So? Who said otherwise?

As for me, probably Iikka Keränen, Richard Wiles or Kim André Malde. Not entirely sure though(and I'm leaving id mappers aside), but they are certainly among the greatest.

myk said:

So? Who said otherwise?

Eh, misread the topic 0_0 .. "Who's your favorite newbie mapper" heh

I genuinely think I'd have a job narrowing the list down to, say, maybe anything less than 12 people who have produced at least one show stopping map, and most of those 12 have consistently produced high quality, good looking fun to play maps.

There are a lot of very good mappers in this community and I really don't think I could pick one as best, because they produce different styles of maps, offering different styles of play.

Hmmm my list would probably read like a Who's Who mappers directory, but here goes, purely off the top of my head, with no real thought, order and probably missing people...

Kurt Kesler
ReX
Tarin
Nick Baker
Michael Krause
Ebola
Cyb
Chris Lutz
LilWhiteMouse
Bryant Robinson
GooberMan
Fredrik

Dammit, that's 12, and already 4 more worthy names (Tormentor667, Russell Pearson, Stephen Clark, Fatal) have popped into my head. Better stop now or the list will soon include just about everyone here.

Gah! Honourable mention to Sam Ketner for Tei Tenga...

Gah!2 Michael Niggel...

Stop it!

I need to get some of my stuff out eh.

I haven't really played any maps from the author's you all speak of, but I have played Deathman's, and they're freaking amazing, my favs probably being the Icerial maps.

Hmm. it's really hard. Like Enjay said. It's virtually impossible to single out just one. Shaviro is a really impressive designer, and so is Kurt Kesler. (evenmoreso since I started working with him, he impress me more everyday) Swedish Fish for his Vindication map alone. Quingshou Wang(Pixel Mage Rex). Boris. Erik Alm.. Michael Niggel Chrozoron, ViolentEd., Anders Johnsen, Chris Lutz, Tomi Rajala (Lu Wang) and fredrik. Well the list is endless. The choice is on the edge of a knife--- But I would probaly narrow it down to 2,

Kurt Kesler and Chris Lutz.
Kurt: for his awesome fun levels that never get boring and alot of other cool stuff that I for some reason have really hard to put in words.
Chris: for his amazing design skills , Noone have ever used Zdoom to that degree that he use Boom.

Hmm, I just noticed I didn't have DM mappers in mind when posting above... probably got carried away by the rest of the thread (Keränen did make some, but I wasn't judging him for those... most of which I've not played.) So for Deathmatch I'd probably choose Dweller and Toke.

Chris Lutz, Fredrik, Thomas Moeller, B.R.P.D, Spike, Lüt.

With regards to Ritenour it's kinda love/hate. Certainly he manages to pull off some areas that are both realistic and incredibly atmospheric, but his levels are often also flawed with bare square rooms and THOSE DAMN NARROW DARK TUNNELS THAT DOESN'T SHOW ON THE AUTOMAP!!! Also the cliffsides with 1" tall stairs on the sides are retarded.