Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Eurisko

The Unity Port Thread - PS/Xbox/Switch/IOS/Android

It's pretty weird. No folder like that is appearing for me. Tried both the Bethesda Launcher and the Steam installs, and both of them seem to be storing data in the same folder (which is somewhere else, since the folders mentioned don't appear to exist) because all the addons I've downloaded show up, along with all the saves.

I've had the Bethesda Launcher version since before it became available on Steam, and even since then data must have been storing somewhere else, because my saves haven't gotten deleted or anything when the Steam version updated. Is there any other possible location for it?

2 hours ago, hfc2x said:

Are you sure this didn't change in the latest version? Because when I go into that folder, I only see folders for other games, but not the Unity versions of Doom and Doom 2:

Screenshot_4.png.0e0796205832b22d96616a4d439cfa48.png

The one named "DOOM" is for Doom 2016.

It's the same place for me on two different computers of mine, and it's seemingly always been that location to my recollection. Make sure you run it at least once to create the folders. Do a disk-wide search for "playerInfo.dat", it should exist along side the "WADs" folder. If you want to get really specific, install BTSXE2 first in the addons then do a search for "btsx_e2i4.jpg".

1 hour ago, Gez said:

Nope, I think Crispy merely has hardcoded support for nerve.wad.

Oh of course. I forgot port authors hard-coded that behavior.

6 hours ago, Edward850 said:

Do a disk-wide search for "playerInfo.dat", it should exist along side the "WADs" folder.

Huh, so did this and it worked. For some reason, my folder is in a different drive ("F:\Saved Games\id Software\"). So does this mean Unity has some special handling if it detects you have more than one physical drives installed? Would be good to know.

In theory it should be saved relative to whatever is mapped as the user's home folder, which I guess you overridden and placed on the F drive. Usually when someone says C:\Users\<username>\whatever they do mean the home folder, but use the C:\Users as a convenience because that's what the vast majority of users use.

I know that, but I haven't overridden my home folder. The other games are being saved to the default location, so there's gotta be something else going on.

1 hour ago, dmslr said:

I have a feeling, on December 10th we'll get BTSX Ep3.

BTSXE3 is a long, long way from being ready haha.

4 hours ago, hfc2x said:

Huh, so did this and it worked. For some reason, my folder is in a different drive ("F:\Saved Games\id Software\"). So does this mean Unity has some special handling if it detects you have more than one physical drives installed? Would be good to know.

As a curiosity, do you have Doom64, and does it save to the same drive? 

11 minutes ago, Edward850 said:

As a curiosity, do you have Doom64, and does it save to the same drive?

Yes, and it saves to the folder in drive C, at "C:\Users\[User]\Saved Games\Nightdive Studios\DOOM 64".

That's most peculiar. I'm not sure what logic Unity is using to determine using F, then.

Having bought the Unity versions of Doom and Doom 2 recently, what would I need to do to swap the GUS patches for an alternative set? I suspect the only barrier would be accessing wherever they're hidden.

4 hours ago, Danfun64 said:

Having bought the Unity versions of Doom and Doom 2 recently, what would I need to do to swap the GUS patches for an alternative set? I suspect the only barrier would be accessing wherever they're hidden.

Outside of add-ons, the music is stored in ogg format. It wouldn't make a difference even if you did.

[bigbrain]

What if you replace the ogg music with ogg music recorded with the GUS patches you want?

[/bigbrain]

I guess he's talking about the soundfont used for playing the PWAD music? Because it's only the Doom 1 and 2 IWADs that use the SC-55 ogg recordings.

Hi @sponge, is it possible to NOT make player 1 use both KB+M and first controller? I want to play the game in splitscreen with my friend but having to use exactly 2 controllers and not 1 KB+M and 1 controller is kind of suck.

2 hours ago, hfc2x said:

I guess he's talking about the soundfont used for playing the PWAD music? Because it's only the Doom 1 and 2 IWADs that use the SC-55 ogg recordings.

This is exactly what I meant. Much like with the original iteration of the Doom Classic engine, MIDI is handled through GUS patches that are (presumably) loaded up by Timidity. Doom Classic Unity uses prerendered SC-55 OGGs for the original IWADs, but PWADS fall back to the GUS patch solution.

2 minutes ago, Danfun64 said:

This is exactly what I meant.

They are in GUS format in the mididata Unity asset bundle. I know there are tools to modify these asset bundles but I'm not super familiar with them to recommend one.

1 hour ago, TheNoob_Gamer said:

Hi @sponge, is it possible to NOT make player 1 use both KB+M and first controller? I want to play the game in splitscreen with my friend but having to use exactly 2 controllers and not 1 KB+M and 1 controller is kind of suck.

I know Rewired supports choosing which controllers are mapped to what players but the UI for that is unfortunately not exposed. Rewired settings are in the registry at HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Bethesda Softworks\DOOM and you may be able to change the controller mapping, but you're on your own from there.

On 11/23/2020 at 9:08 AM, TheNoob_Gamer said:

This issue makes Remote Play kind of a bust as well, it's unfortunate. Having some way to explicitly set which control method goes to which player would be great, instead of Rewired's default handling of keyboard+controllers.

Edited by Lollie

I don't remember if I brought this up but my one major issue with the Unity Port is how the switch version nags about airplane/flight mode being on near the start of the game, it also happens if I go into addons too.  Sure its only two times if just jump into the game but at most its 3 if I go into addons and always appears each time. Also I don't get why one is needed after the logos and at the title screen.

18 minutes ago, Rexen² said:

I don't remember if I brought this up but my one major issue with the Unity Port is how the switch version nags about airplane/flight mode being on near the start of the game, it also happens if I go into addons too.  Sure its only two times if just jump into the game but at most its 3 if I go into addons and always appears each time. Also I don't get why one is needed after the logos and at the title screen.

We struck this with our own Kex3 projects, it's a weird quirk but seemingly intentional on the side of the Switch OS and you can't really get around it. Every time you do any sort of network request on the Switch, the OS will ask the user to connect to a network if they aren't. You'll have 1 or 2 during startup as it polls the MOTD and logs into the bnet service, and another each time you open the addons menu as it checks what addons are available. These requests aren't silent as there's various background things the OS does during this state, such as not automatically switching connections (i.e if you plug in a USB ethernet adapter) while a game has engaged the network.

Ah I see, I just had assume it was the ports fault since my other games don't complain too much but I guess its because the network calls in those games are done differently, or at least get called at different times.

I was playing around with Doom 2 earlier, and I ran into a weird issue that is not present in Doom 1. I can't control the menu with the arrows and the enter key. I can only control it with WASD and space. I thought this was a quirk of the rerelease, but as I said, Doom 1 doesn't have this problem at all.

Is there a way to fix my Doom 2 install? Tried uninstalling both the Bethesda.net and Steam versions and reinstalling, but it doesn't get fixed, so some setting is probably stored somewhere. I tried checking out if there were any differences in the registry keys listed above by @sponge, but there doesn't seem to be any between the two. Tried also copying the playerInfo.dat file from the Doom 1 save folder into the Doom 2 one, but nothing so far. Both executables and game files seem to be the exact same (hash checked to make sure), so I don't know what the issue could be.

EDIT: Figured it out. Turns out, Doom 2 actually has an important file that's outdated in the install folder, under "rerelease\DOOM II_Data", called globalgamemanagers (no extension). Replaced that file with the same one from the Doom 1 folder, and it now works properly.

Edited by hfc2x : another typo, duh

I have the original games on Steam, I installed Doom 2 and it works fine. But how do I add the other games? Will I have multiple independent copies of the Unity port for UltDoom, Doom 2, Final Doom?

Ultimate Doom will download another separate copy of the entire game in its own folder, but Final Doom is located within the "addons" option of the menu in-game, and it will only download the IWADs and nothing else.

I'm still a little surprised that Doom and Doom 2 didn't end up getting bundled together into a single "Classic Doom Collection"-style release, something where you'd open it up and then choose which Doom you felt like playing. It does make me wonder how much of a difference it makes to manage the two as separate releases.

8 hours ago, VGA said:

I have the original games on Steam, I installed Doom 2 and it works fine. But how do I add the other games? Will I have multiple independent copies of the Unity port for UltDoom, Doom 2, Final Doom?

Final Doom does not have a Unity port re-release; instead it's a couple of add-ons that you can use with either Ultimate Doom or Doom II. So you'll have only two copies of the Unity port, but you can get three copies of Plutonia and TNT (one normal from Steam, one as add-on for Doom, and one as add-on for Doom II).

15 minutes ago, Lollie said:

I'm still a little surprised that Doom and Doom 2 didn't end up getting bundled together into a single "Classic Doom Collection"-style release, something where you'd open it up and then choose which Doom you felt like playing. It does make me wonder how much of a difference it makes to manage the two as separate releases.

Something like what WadSmoosh does, but as part of an official port?

15 hours ago, Gez said:

Something like what WadSmoosh does, but as part of an official port?

I guess so! Maybe clean it up by sorting episodes under the game they appear in. It'd be convenient to just go like, New Game > Doom 2 > [Episode] (or for addons, select the required game automatically). And it'd mean that your settings and bindings would be consistent across both Doom releases, because it'd be all-in-one anyway.

Another way to do it (and I prefer this option more tbh, to preserve title screens) would be to have a top-menu where you select the game first (eg: the game-select menu in Collection of Mana), and that would lead you to the actual game. Slip the add-ons into the top-menu, and you could probably find a good way to keep settings unified across all games as well.

Edited by Lollie : rewording for clarity

I also envisioned something like a top level menu to select the game, but a bit more abstracted

My idea was: main menu UI not running within doom engine (already seems to be the case in this Unity port)

Doom engine will be running in the background only to just be an attract loop. My idea would be the game selecting a random demo from a random game/addon every time the game is launched, just to show off the variety that comes with this new release and its sanctioned addons. Think of N++ as an example

Going to Single Player will then present the list of games & installed addons as episodes. The canonical Doom/Doom II/Final Doom and then all the other installed addons below that. Then when selecting one, then the difficulty and starting, it then loads the wad (possibly restarting doom game engine instance as previous is just to be an attract loop) and starts directly in the map. Given the time to restart when loading an addon the normal way it should feel pretty seamless.

Essentially it would be abstracting the addon selector menu into the "New Game" menu, since only one addon can be selected at a time anyway, it could become a bit less intrusive to use that way & the addons menu used just for downloading.

Other than that, I think the other thought is that since many of the addons can be loaded with both Doom and Doom II there doesnt seem to be a whole lot of sense in having them be separate to begin with, even without menu changes both Doom 1 and 2 could be combined into the same pool of selectable addons (and one EXE). Maybe done that way just because of the original Steam listings?

Edited by Tarvis

The problem is that if you download addons and the executable gets any updates that change some behavior or a way data inside the addons is read, you need to manually update your addons (delete and redownload) or they'll break. This would make your suggestions not really feasible, and I don't think there's a way around that, since to auto-update them you'd probably need to deal with read/write permissions in all the different OSes these rereleases are meant to run in.

Might be possible, but I don't think it'd be worth the trouble for the developers.