Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Soon2bGlue

Shooting Down Revenant Missiles

Hi guys, I am making a mod via WackED, I would like to make Revenant Missiles shootable so they can be shot out of the sky. Is this possible? If so, how van I achieve this?

Thanks Guys :-)

I know nothing about doom editing, but I think it should be doable. Think of the 'missiles' as the revenant's version of lost souls

It is indeed doable (and is very easy), as revenant missiles are classified as "things", which contain certain toggleable properties, including being sustained to damage.
First, you would want to fire up Whacked4, set proper patch settings (it works in vanilla Dehacked too!) and then you will be tossed to the main menu.

Screenshot explanation on the procedure:

1,  Open the Things tab. Upon doing so, a board full of confusing stats and numbers will show up. Don't be fret though.

2, Click on Revenant fireball section.

3, Enable the Shootable flag. This will make the game recognize the fireball as an enemy.

4, Set the projectile's health. I usually leave this at 100-300.
5, Save the patch, you are done.

Capture.PNG.8899ef8a913e7631c026e4cffbee446d.PNG

If you want to see destructible projectiles in action, try out my gameplay mod where everything dies in 1 hit. I've included the reference Dehacked file out of the box also. It used the Boom Dehacked format, but everything still applies to the above tutorial.

Thanks alot Noob Gamer, all set up now :-) it still wasn't working with the set up you described and I realised I had to turn off the "visible & untouchable" option.

All good now though, cheers again,  I really appreciate your comprehensive response 👍

The biggest issue with making projectiles shootable is that when they are shot once by either the player or enemy projectile/hitscan it turns into a "ghost" going through the player/things.

I tried playing around with the idea of "shootable projectiles" once, for zdoom with DECORATE (rather than the Whacked approach). It seemed like a fun concept for a while, but it really shifts the entire balance of power in a huge way for the player. Without giving the enemy projectiles a ton of extra speed/damage to compensate (as an example), I was just left with that "Doom 3 Revenant effect" where the monsters were completely neutered as long as I had an automatic weapon (or often times, any weapon). Ended up being one of those things that seemed more fun in concept, than in reality (unless I'd been willing to tweak the entire gameplay from top to bottom around the idea, which I wasn't).   

it was mentioned the last time this came up, but giving the projectile enough health to survive a hit doesn't work because whatever shoots the projectile first will claim ownership of the projectile because of the reused target field. Maybe you can implement maes idea of capturing revenant projectiles as "shields", but that's probably not the intended idea here. It's generally safest to just give them 1 HP so they die instantly.

7 hours ago, Mr. LBN said:

The biggest issue with making projectiles shootable is that when they are shot once by either the player or enemy projectile/hitscan it turns into a "ghost" going through the player/things.

I only plan to use this for revenant missiles and it seems to be working ok. What exactly do you mean turning them into "ghosts?"

I know about resurrected crushed enemies becoming ghosts but  not sure what that means for projectiles. Can this lead to errors or other issues on certain maps?

4 hours ago, Soon2bGlue said:

I only plan to use this for revenant missiles and it seems to be working ok. What exactly do you mean turning them into "ghosts?"

I know about resurrected crushed enemies becoming ghosts but  not sure what that means for projectiles. Can this lead to errors or other issues on certain maps?

Based on my my memory of a similar thread, which I might not be remembering correctly, if you give a Revenant's missiles enough health to survive being shot, it will turn into a "ghost" missile. I think that if you give it 1hp, so that anything can destroy it, this problem doesn't occur. I could be entirely wrong though.

4 hours ago, Soon2bGlue said:

They will go through the player/monster once being shot while also doing zero damage.  The only real way you could get a projectile to still do some form of damage to you after being shot is to give it the explode action upon projectile death, but that would be difficult to balance.