Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
KeaganDunn

Are there any maps from the IWADs you happen to enjoy, but other people probably don't?

On 11/11/2020 at 3:30 PM, Dunn & Dunn said:

MAP06: Open Season does that, too. Especially with the music, it's a lot more eerie and mysterious.

Gonna agree with you on that, here.  The music really sells that isolation especially with all the backtracking you have to do on the map, and it just helps add tension while you walk past everything you've already killed especially with a good chunk of the map being pretty dark.  I also always admired the "reactor room" for how many levels it has.

Another fan of E3M7 here.  Don't understand why people don't like the occasional puzzle.  It's a good puzzle before the final battle.  For Doom 2, I really like MAP26: The Abandoned Mines.  Not saying people don't like it, but it's not usually mentioned in a favorites list from what I've seen.  

2 hours ago, General Rainbow Bacon said:

Another fan of E3M7 here.  Don't understand why people don't like the occasional puzzle.  It's a good puzzle before the final battle.  For Doom 2, I really like MAP26: The Abandoned Mines.  Not saying people don't like it, but it's not usually mentioned in a favorites list from what I've seen.  

Fancy seeing you here. 

I agree with E3M7, once you know the puzzle it's not that bad.

It's almost as though some levels in Inferno alternate between puzzle and action-packed maps. E3M5 is a teleporter puzzle, E3M6 is an open sandbox-like map, E3M7 is a puzzle, and E3M8 is of course combat.

Ultimate Doom : E3M2

DOOM 2: Map 09, Map 27, Map 21, Map 12,

TNT: Map 08, Map 14, Map 27 and Map 30

I still havent finished plutonia, so Im not sure XD

I actually like E4M1 even with it's flaws, but I enjoy American McGees compact high action maps in general.

11 hours ago, Eric Claus said:

I actually like E4M1 even with it's flaws, but I enjoy American McGees compact high action maps in general.

I haven't really found any flaws with E4M1. It's a challenging map and I like it, too. You really need to conserve your ammo to take down all the enemies, including the Barons. Punch out as many spectres as possible and go for all the secrets, and you'll have just enough ammo to deal with the Barons in the NIN secret.

For Doom it would be E3M6 - love the style.

Also DoomII's "The Chasm" has always been enjoyable as it feels different when compared to the other maps of the set. Add to that Map17 which I absolutely adore especially in coop.

On 11/11/2020 at 3:29 PM, Salmon said:

Map 12: Crater from TNT.  I rarely see anyone mention this map unless it's to say that the "crater" itself is poorly drawn.  That may be true, but this map has such a great atmosphere otherwise.  For me it really nails that eerie sense of being on your own in an isolated, hostile facility.

Crater is my favorite TNT map. I think you're right it has so much atmosphere. I remember getting all secrets but then finding that weird hidden area that just goes

on and on and on. Not many items. No secrets. Just a huge area. It creeped me out, which is hard to do to me bc I've played Doom since 1993.

No one ever seems to mention Map04 (the Focus). I think it's one of the best Doom Iwads and it's really influenced my mapping. 

On 11/24/2020 at 3:31 AM, Cinnamon Killjoy said:

Most of TNT... :P

I don't think TNT is fully deserving of the bad press it gets. Granted, it's my least favourite of the IWADs, but it's by no means bad.

On 11/12/2020 at 11:11 AM, Job said:

I don't know why, but I really enjoy both the 4th map in Doom and the 4th map in Doom 2. Command Control and The Focus just do it for me. Well-designed, brief bite-sized maps. I prefer the music in Map 03, more than the track in Map 04, but Kitchen Ace is tops. 

6 hours ago, PeterMoro said:

No one ever seems to mention Map04 (the Focus). I think it's one of the best Doom Iwads and it's really influenced my mapping. 

Fellow Map04 aficionado here, brother. 

I agree on the E3M7 and I also like E3M5.

As for Doom II, I really like Downtown. It's a big map, and I enjoy the theme it has. I don't even go in the red building the arrow points at lol

From a speedrunners perspective, I've heard that a lot of people dont like E4M9 in Ultimate Doom. Mainly for the box jump in the beginning, but I just love the whole level. I think it is really fun to run, especially with the warm orange sky and unique architecture compared to other levels. It's not really a popular level, but I just love it, this and E4M6 are probably my favourites for episode 4.

I really like E3M5 and E4M4, excellent atmosphere in both of them.

But where I really seem to diverge from most people is Doom II. . .

The Factory and Downtown are two of my all-time favorite Doom levels. The city section that everyone complains about is EASILY the best part of the game in my opinion. Thank you Sandy for those awesome levels.

On 11/23/2020 at 5:31 PM, Cinnamon Killjoy said:

Most of TNT... :P

I also realized that I really enjoy E2M2, E2M6, and E3M6, but I'm not sure if the consensus on them is negative or not.

On 12/1/2020 at 12:10 AM, Faceman2000 said:

I really like E3M5 and E4M4, excellent atmosphere in both of them.

But where I really seem to diverge from most people is Doom II. . .

The Factory and Downtown are two of my all-time favorite Doom levels. The city section that everyone complains about is EASILY the best part of the game in my opinion. Thank you Sandy for those awesome levels.

I don't care much for Factory, but Downtown was always pretty awesome to me. Granted it has been outdone since (e.g. Odyssey of Noises) but it always had that abstract, wonkey DOOM 2 feel to me.

On 12/2/2020 at 12:04 PM, Cinnamon Killjoy said:

I also realized that I really enjoy E2M2, E2M6, and E3M6, but I'm not sure if the consensus on them is negative or not.

I think E2M2 (wasn't it selected in a community vote as the "best doom map"?) and E3M6 with its original sandbox style are widely acclaimed, only for E2M6 I often see some hate because of the dark maze (personally, I like it but it is not among my absolute favorites).

I have some love for E4M9, which can be surprisingly tricky from pistol start and generally has nice fights but rarely gets mentioned as outstanding. Generally I like the few Tim Willits maps in UDoom, as they're a bit different with their particular approach on height variation, ledges and barriers.

On 12/7/2020 at 9:47 AM, erzboesewicht said:

I think E2M2 (wasn't it selected in a community vote as the "best doom map"?) and E3M6 with its original sandbox style are widely acclaimed, only for E2M6 I often see some hate because of the dark maze (personally, I like it but it is not among my absolute favorites).

I have some love for E4M9, which can be surprisingly tricky from pistol start and generally has nice fights but rarely gets mentioned as outstanding. Generally I like the few Tim Willits maps in UDoom, as they're a bit different with their particular approach on height variation, ledges and barriers.

That's fair. It just seems in general that Romero gets all praise in UDOOM and there's little love for Peterson and Hall*, both of whom have made some pretty outstanding maps in my opinion.

*Even though, IIRC, Petersen was responsible for completing/tuning Halls maps, the core ideas are sometimes my absolute favorites.