Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Yandere_Doomer

Stygian Abyss: My New Wad

so ive been taking peoples complaints into account, and ive also been following John Romero's rules, and all of that has lead me here, 

Special thanks to these people: @Clippy for making great videos and reviews, @Biodegradable for giving me advice on how to introduce a new wad thread, @Dunn & Dunn for being a good friend and giving advice for mapmaking, @ElPadrecitoCholo for making descriptive reviews and nice screenshots of my maps, @TheMagicMushroomMan for additional advice and being a good friend and @90's Doomer for, well why not?

http://www.mediafire.com/file/uv4u13116rue5l0/Stygian_Abyss.7z/file

Screenshot_Doom_20201120_173033.png

Screenshot_Doom_20201120_173045.png

Screenshot_Doom_20201120_173056.pngthis wad uses gzdoom and is compatible with mods. dont use eternity engine, as your doors may not work, use only the zdoom engine.

ps, this wad uses royalty free music, so you can make a video about it clippy  : )

Edited by Deathclaw886

@Deathclaw886 First at all, Thank you very much for the mention dude, I really appreciate your words for me man, and second, this new map that you have created looks really amazing, and I really want to try it to see what I can find inside it, so, rest assured that in a few minutes I will leave my post regarding what I have found. there mate.

Well partner, said and done, here I already bring my prepared post.

Stygian Abyss

Ultra-Violence || GZDoom || Combat_Weapons

*Deaths: 0

*Saves: none

Screenshot-Doom-20201120-184109.png

Screenshot-Doom-20201120-184122.png

(Companion, apparently this part of the wall looks as if it lacks textures inside, is it perhaps a bug that occurred? Or is it simply part of the decoration that the map itself has?)

Screenshot-Doom-20201120-184133.png

Screenshot-Doom-20201120-184213.png

(Do not open until the map has been completed, it will be your fault if you discover what is here before you have played the wad.)

Spoiler

Screenshot-Doom-20201120-184231.png

Screenshot-Doom-20201120-184300.png

Screenshot-Doom-20201120-184317.png

Screenshot-Doom-20201120-184333.png

(The warning also applies to the end of the map.)

Spoiler

Screenshot-Doom-20201120-184412.png

Screenshot-Doom-20201120-184431.png

It has been a very entertaining map, from the beginning to the end, it really has a very well used structure, with great and convincing details, here you will not see revolutionary textures or even any new texture, but with the architecture, I feel that it has a little of freshness to only be a somewhat short wad, anyway, what matters is that it looks good and is quite pleasing to the player, even using things already seen in the original games that are not boring at all to see.

Regarding the difficulty, if there are enough things to highlight, and it is that, you can really appreciate quite a few weak enemies, and a few that are resistant, which I would like to mention, but as this is the first post of the Wad, I will be forced not to say all the creatures that are here, and I will let the images speak for themselves about it, but what I can say is that it has a really acceptable difficulty, even to play in UV it does not bring so many things as if to ruin your gameplay, which is something to be grateful for, the enemies that are presented are located in areas that are tactical, they are a bit predictable but care must be taken when making them face, since the ammunition and weapons that the map is not very varied to say. Great job on this map, mate, and I'm really glad to have helped you with my Posts on all the maps you posted here in the community, thanks again for taking me into account brother.

7 minutes ago, ElPadrecitoCholo said:

review

yeah, the fireblu texture was bugged, and i could not find any missing textures to replace, but in the end, i think that it looked cool and didnt hamper anything in the map, and it wasnt an eyesore, so it didnt bother me too much

8 minutes ago, Deathclaw886 said:

yeah, the fireblu texture was bugged, and i could not find any missing textures to replace, but in the end, i think that it looked cool and didnt hamper anything in the map, and it wasnt an eyesore, so it didnt bother me too much

Haha, yes, you're right, it looks great when you look at it while the marine walks down the corridor, but I had my doubts at first thinking that it was a mistake, and indeed, it does not ruin anything in the experience, anyway, I liked that area with lava that you placed in that part, the situation had become intense and intriguing in that zone.

I have played all of his .wads and i would have to say that this one is by far the best one he has ever made. i love the attention to detail that he provided. the only problem was it was so good i did not want it to end.

Just now, Deathclaw886 said:

nope, you lured the mancubus to the outer door

No he chased me

LOL

On 11/21/2020 at 8:20 AM, ElPadrecitoCholo said:

Combat_Weapons

The mod looks kind of interesting, however I failed to find a download link. Can you link me to the respective forum thread for the mod?

1 hour ago, TheNoob_Gamer said:

The mod looks kind of interesting, however I failed to find a download link. Can you link me to the respective forum thread for the mod?

I would like to do it, but unfortunately I can't, because I had gotten those mods from a memory that a friend lent me, as he was also a Doom player, he lent me the memory to get maps to play in, some mods from games, but I really didn't bother to ask you because, when you asked for the memory back, I completely forgot to mention mods to you, since most of the maps I tested them with Brutal Doom on Zandronum, and well, I only play them without knowing where they really are from.

7 hours ago, ElPadrecitoCholo said:

I would like to do it, but unfortunately I can't, because I had gotten those mods from a memory that a friend lent me, as he was also a Doom player, he lent me the memory to get maps to play in, some mods from games, but I really didn't bother to ask you because, when you asked for the memory back, I completely forgot to mention mods to you, since most of the maps I tested them with Brutal Doom on Zandronum, and well, I only play them without knowing where they really are from.

So it's the mod's filename - perhaps you can PM me a copy of the mod? I would really like to try it out.

7 minutes ago, TheNoob_Gamer said:

So it's the mod's filename - perhaps you can PM me a copy of the mod? I would really like to try it out.

Maybe I can, but not at the moment, since I find myself somewhat tight with the family in my home, so, just that you give me time to see on a specific day if I can do it, do you think?

3 hours ago, ElPadrecitoCholo said:

Maybe I can, but not at the moment, since I find myself somewhat tight with the family in my home, so, just that you give me time to see on a specific day if I can do it, do you think?

Well, you seem to speak Spanish, however I'm unable to know your timezone. If anything, send me the mod's copy whenever you are back to your PC and doing more mod feedbacks.

------------------

Onto the map itself.

@Deathclaw886, everything needed to be said about the map has been said already. However, here's my take:

While there's definitely an effort to make a moody map (as suggested by other people here and through my observation), I ultimately failed to see it in the final product, as I feel the detailing and enemy placement too contradictory with the music selection. The combat also felt a little bit too random, like a bunch of imps in brown hallway after that marble room in the first screenshot of yours. It is indeed clean and I congratulate your attempts on lighting and certain visuals you've implemented (that marble room I've just mentioned, the spawn point, the wooden room before you go out to the room in first screenshots are some notable examples) however.

I suggest you to play more high-quality releases in recent years and take note of what kind of visuals work and what don't, what sort of enemy placement would work for the kind of environment you are going to create.

Some example things I'd like to point out in particular. This room. I just steal Cholo's screenshot because I forgot.

image.png.2b7d1207a05d9a522d6419329716cc2c.png

You see a bunch of red textures on the opposite way over there? They are not properly aligned. In any version of Doom Builder's Visual Mode, you can select multiple linedefs with those unaligned bastards and press to let Doom Builder do its job. This would make your further mapping attempts easier.

Also in the same room:

Screenshot_Doom_20201129_104803.png.d7e5720cea05b29efe357f7e173a2aa1.png

This might be because of the map's theme. However, I personally felt that the ceiling usage here is unsuitable, and you need to know when you need to utilize visuals (related to the point above). In this case, a Hell sky would certainly improve the mood of the map; or at least, the height of this whole room can be lowered considerably.

Also, you don't need to use royalty-free soundtrack if you fear of Doom players getting copyrighted for the videos. The Doom Wiki already has a good source of music for you to find, many of which fits this map perfectly well. 

https://doomwiki.org/wiki/Adding_custom_music

18 minutes ago, TheNoob_Gamer said:

Well, you seem to speak Spanish, however I'm unable to know your timezone. If anything, send me the mod's copy whenever you are back to your PC and doing more mod feedbacks.

Sure, if I find really free and extensive time, I'll see how to send you the mod, partner.

I had ALOT of fun making this video for you I hope you like it! Great WAD man!