Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
HAK3180

*2020 HAKAWARDS* I'm Also Looking to Play and Record Your Maps 2 *CLOSED*

Good evening friend! I've got quite the treat for you!

BOSS BATTLE BONANZA has released! I'm sure you'll recognize some of these maps. The third of my monthly speedmapping series, I'm sure that if you're looking for a fight that you'll find one here. As always, compatibility and other information is included within the link.

Table of Contents

8 hours ago, Stabbey said:

[Control Tower]

Do you actually want my opinion? You have a habit of taking passive aggressive jabs at my Doom competency on YouTube. As you may recall, this is why I rejected this map in September. You do remember I'm that same buffoon, yes?

1 hour ago, HAK3180 said:

Do you actually want my opinion? You have a habit of taking passive aggressive jabs at my Doom competency on YouTube. As you may recall, this is why I rejected this map in September. You do remember I'm that same buffoon, yes?

No, I don't recall you giving a reason for rejecting the map. I have watched many of your videos and the feedback you give on other people's maps is often instructive on ways to improve my own maps, and I've actually taken that into account into how I test and design my maps. But forget it, then. Disliking someone is a valid reason for rejecting a request.

Edited by Stabbey

4 hours ago, Stabbey said:

I have watched many of your videos and the feedback you give on other people's maps is often instructive on ways to improve my own maps, and I've actually taken that into account into how I test and design my maps.

I'm glad that's the case, but hopefully you can understand how this is surprising to me, based on your comments.

4 hours ago, Stabbey said:

But forget it, then.

Okay. Best of luck mapping. 

On 11/27/2020 at 7:17 PM, HAK3180 said:

["Steel Spulchre"]

The error at around 3:30 is an intercepts overflow

One such way to cause this is when a hitscan attack, or a BFG tracer crosses over more than 128 linedefs/things at once, causing an intercept overflow. Such an overflow can be produced, somewhat awkwardly but quite reliably, for example, by shooting a hitscan weapon over a large amount of corpses and pickups all lined-up in a row.

There are just about enough linedefs/things in that room combined to make that happen with some very fluky angles for a shot being fired. Or maybe each pellet from an SSG shot registers additively, which would be a lot easier, idk. 

@ViolentBeetle, @BluePineapple72

Doomworld forum topic

Map 10

It's a fine little arena with some intrigue, but it doesn't really have a boss vibe. The cyberdemon's presence is really not that threatening, and getting to the switches is not much of a danger, more of a chore.

Map 02

I'm on board with the concept, but I just don't like it, especially without any introduction to the custom monster stats. Maybe the name is supposed to imply the thing is immortal.

Map 03

Again, it lacks boss edge. Some mappers just don't map as fast, and this one certainly feels like time was a significant factor, as it's very basic in pretty much all dimensions.

Map 04

This is quite the grand entry, but I like it. It shows good restraint for being obvious light slaughter / challenge / approaching epic territory. Once again, however, the number of boss monsters and overall density of monsters made this feel less like a boss map and more like just a fun challenge. This is probably my favorite so far.

Map 05

This one seems to capture the spirit of the mapset best. It's mostly weak monsters with the classic Gotcha showdown, only better. The progressions winds cleverly in and out of that central arena, but ammo is expertly done so that you can take care of your opposition but you have no chance of killing the bosses early. Well done.

30 minutes ago, HAK3180 said:

It's a fine little arena with some intrigue, but it doesn't really have a boss vibe. The cyberdemon's presence is really not that threatening, and getting to the switches is not much of a danger, more of a chore.

Yeah, originally I was going for something that is more resembling the chase, but there wasn't enough time for me to both make the whole setup work more reliably and map out multiple arena. Due to using boom my options to control cyberdemon's teleportation were a little limited.

Perhaps some time later I'll try to remake it as non-speedmap to make it more complex.

@Toilet_Wine_Connoisseur

download the .zip

First of all, there are some compatibility issues here. Testing should be done in Pr/GlBoom+ if the map is “Boom compatible.” Then there’s the balancing issues. A run without secrets is bound to end in ragequitting. There just are not nearly enough supplies. Even with secrets, you’re scraping by. Then there’s the progression. Don’t make me hump a torch for necessary progression, at least not in an area that does not have any markings of a puzzle. Other areas did have those markings, like the square platforms Last Call puzzle and the very ending, so that was fine. In the end, it has the potential to be a fine Doom map, but too many little things just bring it way down.

Bottom line: some decent ideas ruined by questionable implementation and poor balancing

@BluePineapple72

Doomworld forum topic

This is a great idea very well communicated that is a nice twist on the boss concept. It’s a simple map, but it’s a lot of fun

I like this. The icon-ness may be a little too avoidable, but it gives you some different intriguing options of how to play it.

I thought communication could have been a bit clearer, in particular how the different glasses worked, but this was another interesting idea, making commandos the unquestioned boss.

It felt like more was going on than I understood / the gimmick went over my head. As such, for me it was just a map where you m ostly pistol stuff

There was some initial confusion due to darkness and a very unconventional door texture, but beyond that, this worked okay. It’s a one-fight map that gets easier and harder the more you run away from it.

If you are interested in doing megawards, Hellevator is now in public beta. You did all of my maps and I think MAP13, 15 and 27 or 28.

@ViolentBeetle

Doomworld forum topic

Shawny first is probably a good idea, as you start with a really good visual impression. The map is very exploratory, but it’s short enough that the one-dimensional combat is a fun gimmick instead of monotonous and lame. I like how the nearby area is visible through windows and how internal windows give the enemies lots of shooting angles.

Bottom line: just what a megawad opener should be

@ViolentBeetle

Doomworld forum topic

There’s a lot of attention to detail, and it works to sell the visual gimmickry. The gameplay itself is just fine, too, with a not-all-that-original but effective nonetheless arch-vile finale. In contrast to Map 01, this map is more guided, but in a rather large, open space. The monster placement is actually pretty good here because there are not many monsters and it’s a decent amount of space, but it’s still no cakewalk.

Bottom line: This could have been clunky and cheesy, but it works.

@ViolentBeetle

Doomworld forum topic

This map has a solid progression that takes you a few different places but never too far and never too suddenly. The greenhouse visual is sold adequately, but this map does betray a lack of inexperience. That’s okay, as I think Repugnus does a good job with the space itself, but the combat is quite simplistic most of the way through, featuring simple door combat, easily retreatable traps, and overall too many inconsequential little encounters instead of one big picture of combat

Bottom line: More attention went into the layout and flow than combat

@ViolentBeetle

Doomworld forum topic

I like how this one starts out with the sneaky feel. You don’t get much space to map in this wad, but this map still gives you an empty beginning. Each room was distinct in setup and gameplay, and I’d say it’s at least 2 for 3. My favorite was probably the room where you first get the rocket launcher because it’s hard to get rocket angles that won’t also kill you. Visually, it’s a little bare but not necessarily ugly.

Bottom line: cool vibe and varied encounters

Hey, nice to see you play/testing this project. I am happy you liked the map. I was able to claim map01 after I submitted the other one you were talking about in the video. I have few more maps in the set, even though it is going to be a while untill then. Keep up the good work.

Funny. I didn't even realize that arch-vile was ambushing on MAP03 and whenever I was playing it I tried to make him infight. Which was tough.

On the subject of lifts - Boom still only allows hooking doors to keys, but you can open door that would allow voodoo dolls to scroll past trigger lines. Hooking something like that to repeater action is a little frustrating though, which is probably why it wasn't done.

@ViolentBeetle

Doomworld forum topic

The appearance is mostly pretty simple, but it works well to achieve the goal and establishes a harmony with the gameplay that makes this feel less like playing someone’s project and more immersive. The layout has some intricacies and a lot of tight combat that I found mostly enjoyable.

Bottom line: fun little sequence with building vibe intact

@ViolentBeetle

Doomworld forum topic

The secrets were definitely intriguing and kinda drove the map for me. The progression was very simple, and the combat was hit or miss. I thought the big office room more resembled a bathroom or locker room. I also thought the teleporter to inside the red room was a little abrupt, even though seeing a red door in this wad generally means you come out that door. It's just a little meh overall - not much stands out positively, and the negatives are somewhat minor, too.

Bottom line: I think the time constraint shows on this one, but there’s fun to be had

@ViolentBeetle

Doomworld forum topic

Not much to say here. The progression, layout, and combat are all pretty simple. The most character the map has is the floor gimmick of apparently being the place to house convicts. But we remind ourselves that not a lot of time was allowed for these.

Bottom line: it’s a Doom map

@ViolentBeetle

Doomworld forum topic

I really like the ones that take such effort to sell the building vibe. Seeing huge windows and the + design in several maps gives the wad some nice cohesion. This is a more difficult one with arch-viles all over the place, but I like the different games you play with them. The beginning is pretty cool too, putting you under fire immediately. And I think this rivals Shawny for some of the most attractive levels in here.

Bottom line: good action and strong sense of locus

@ViolentBeetle

Doomworld forum topic

I love it. The look is classic E4 charm with the perfect music to represent the day when Tower of Babel was actually terrifying. The intended gameplay is communicated clearly. By starting with a berserk and not asking you to kill anything too powerful and showing you so many keyed switches and giving you most of the map to run around, the goal is clearly to get keys and survive. I’m sure some masochist somewhere will try to punch out the cyberdemon, but the map tells you what to do, and it’s awesome.

Bottom line: Yes. More of this please.

Thanks for playing all those maps. Captain Toenail made some great maps later into the game too, although this one is my favourite.

Now that I saw it with my own eyes, I can tell what is going on on MAP9, author drew a line across the sector with open door effect for some reason and as a result, if you stand just right, it tries to open that sector around the bars (Which makes them go 8 units below lowest adjacent ceiling which is the closed bars). If you actually stand on the sector, you probably block movement with your head, and if you go further in you bypass the line, but if you stand just right you end up doing what you saw.

@ViolentBeetle

Doomworld forum topic

As much as I like a wild gimmick executed at a high level of quality, I’d be fine with 32 of these. This is just very mild gimmickry, not trying to go outside the box or push the limits of the rules of the project, but it's done with a level of competency that cannot be ignored. The map looks nice, gives you an interesting enough progression within the standard + shape layout, and shows you a distinct focal point right at the beginning. The map is not hard, but it’s never annoying or grindy.

Bottom line: Feels like the quintessential Hellevator map

@ViolentBeetle

Doomworld forum topic

Another solid theme without abandoning the “floor of building” cohesion. The nukage is always a factor, but never annoyingly so. It plays a fun part in the progression, as well and gives you a sense of progress. This one comes with a little bite, but it’s definitely tasteful difficulty.

Bottom line: whimsical and distinct, but adept and conforming

@ViolentBeetle

Doomworld forum topic

Let me be clear: this is a fine map. The visual detailing is quite good. The layout makes sense; you kinda go back and forth among several distinct but close and connected areas. You fight some tight encounters. You win. Great. But this is the super secret level, man! It doesn’t stand out in appearance (besides being able to break the rules a bit), difficulty, or gimmickry, except perhaps that it’s among the most conventional. So basically, this map is not a disappointment, but finding it here as Map 32 is.

Bottom line: very normal, seems unfitting for 32 slot

@ViolentBeetle

Doomworld forum topic

It’s a series of four setpieces broken up by interludes to restock and fight another quick setpiece. That’s all fine, and the fights are not bad at all, but the space never really changes, and the fights themselves are similar. As a result, the repetition wears on you, and you feel a little déjà vu. I think this map just missed the sweet spot and would be better with one less fight or if there were a way to make them more distinct from each other.

Bottom line: Fun, but just barely wears out its welcome

Is it possible to request a slight playthrough of a pWAD I posted a few days ago while you're uploading Hellevator recordings?  The only big problem you'll have is that all the enemies have been completely deHACKED (Customized if you will), and this is a first project attempt.  All maps can be played with Prboom-Plus, but in order to read the UMAPINFO lump you'll need the UM version I linked in the thread below.

If yes then here's the thread.  Maybe give MAP01-MAP03 a shot to get your feet wet with the modified enemies?  Unfortunately I didn't receive any feedback upon posting.

@ViolentBeetle

Doomworld forum topic

I don’t know the mapper’s experience. I assumed not much in my playthrough, but I kinda forgot about the relative time restriction here. In any case, time and/or inexperience kept this map from doing too much. It’s basic in geometry, flow, and combat setups. It’s one of those maps that feels like very little thought was put into monster encounters until the space itself was complete.

Bottom line: Feels like a novice, but it’s a competent map

@ViolentBeetle

Doomworld forum topic

I had my doubts as to how such a small map could feel sprawling, but this did a decent job. It may not be all that large, but it does produce that Doom 1 tech base “ugly elegance” where nothing is symmetric or graceful, but it all connects in ways that were obviously intentional. Gameplay is solid, starting with mild-medium difficulty in perfectly satisfactory encounters, and ending with a big boss reveal that did a lot of things right.

Bottom line: fun casual map with a great ending