Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Naked Snake

Final Doom

Guard duty, the post that Marines dread most. Dull, uneventful guard duty. Now, slap the fact that this on Io, a moon of Jupiter and that we have not had an attack in decades. I myself had only been a child during the Hell War. My father had been killed and my mother went slowly insane, she finally snapped a few years after I joined the Marine Corps. She always carried a pistol in her purse and she was in a mall, she thought the shoppers were zombies so she started shooting. When she had killed at least 15 people she realized what she had done and took her life. Shortly after the funeral I had been called to the Shrink on the Io base. After rigorous testing they said I was sane, which was only half true.

My name is John Haskin, I am 23 years old and I am a Private First Class in the United States Marine Corps. Frankly, ever since I had been stationed on Io I had been terminally ill with the boredom bug. Days seemed to drag on for an Eternity, an hour turned into a month a day was 5 years and I was sick of it. When I heard that the hero of the Hell Wars was being stationed here I was estatic. I could finally meet this man. His named escaped me but I knew one thing. He was the greatest soldier ever. I stood near the door where the Gate Lab was. My day consisted of standing next to the door weilding a SIG-COW with a bayonet and watching scientists and top officials scurry in and out of the labs like rats. Once in a while a lab tech would acknowledge me by saying "Hello" or "How's it goin'?". There was one lab tech, Jennifer Rothchild, whom I adored. She knew my feelings and she took every chance to flirt with me. I, in turn, flirted back, being the slick dog I am. Other than a few chats with Jen, my shift was bland. I wish there was something that I could do on this friggin' base other than rot.

I was dismissed after standing next to that fucking door for 6 and a half hours and I took the time to shower and then get dressed in civvies and head to the Mess/Rec Hall. I spotted my buddies Eric Jackson, who had a boyish face, green eyes and blonde hair, Ryan Craye who had a scar on his cheek from a bar fight and Steven Astor, the youngest but certainly not the smallest. He stood a good 6 feet 4 inches or so and was built like an Ox. Steven waved me over to the table and called out "hey John, get your ass over here!". I sat down at the table and Eric pulled out a deck of cards.
"The game is poker, gentlemen," Eric said with a grin, he always said that ", 5 cards, deuces and threes are wild, no jokers, no bullshit, now, let's play!". He dealt the cards and I looked at my hand, keeping my "poker face" even though I wanted to curse. My hand was shitty. I had a Queen, a Jack, an 8, a 7 and a 2. I dropped the Queen, Jack and 2 and got new cards. Eric held his ground, Steven asked for 2 cards and Ryan scratched his chin, deep in thought, then asked for 1 card. I looked at my hand and had to fight my smile. I got a 5, 6, and a 9. With a sly grin I showed my hands.
"Beat that" I smuggly announced.
"FUCK" Steven pounded the table and threw down his hand.
"I'm out" Ryan said.
"Ha, suck on this" Eric said, revealing his hand. A royal flush.
"You son of a bitch" I muttered as Eric pumped his hands in the air in victory. Suddenly the red alert siren was ringing, calling us back from our world of fun. I rushed to my quarters, nabbed up my gear, got dressed in my Security Suit, lock and loaded my weapon and headed to the Situation Room.

"Men," General Ashcroft began, pacing back and forth, his hands behind his back and a grin look on his weathered face. General Ashcroft was one of my idols, he had singlehandedly stopped a portion of the invasion on Earth in L.A. when the demons first struck. They used our own technology against us and used what we built to destroy us. He took down a train loaded with weapons, zombies in the cattle cars and parts for some of the monsters. He was one of the many heros. "12 minutes ago we recived a distress call from the lower level labs. The demons had found a way to come through the gates". The looks of horror on the faces of the men in the room were quickly washed away with the General's next portion of the briefing "but the attack was quelled and not a single monster lived. However, we need to be on full alert as more attacks may happen. On breaks you will be dressed in Combat Gear and have a weapon ready. DISMISSED!" and with that he turned and left. We all stood up and headed to our quarters, hoping there would be no attacks.

A few months later it happened, an attack was launched against the base. After some wheeling and dealing, I was given permissions to leave the lab and go onto the actual surface of Io. Usually, this is only granted to officers, I was able to get the sympathy of General Ashcroft. The desolate moon actually improved my mood as I strolled among the rocks and explored craters. I picked up a rock and tossed it, watching it fly through the air. My world was carefree but back at the base, something was amis...

"Sir, the supply ship is here."
"What? They are not supposed to be here for another 2 months."
"Sir, it also seems they are heading from the wrong direction."
"What the hell does that mean?"
"Sir, it means that the ship is not coming from a direction of travel it would have if it left Earth."
"Hmm, odd." there was a slight pause as the Sargeant thought. "Wait a fucking second. Call a red alert NOW!"

The ship loomed over the base and it was obvious at a glance it was not constructed on Earth. It looked like a huge monster. Bones and gore hung off the sides of it and there were two huge horns at the front of the huge vessel. Without warning the doors of the ship opened and monsters fell out, instantly fighting anything human. There is no word to describe the horrible fight, slaughter does not even come close, massacre is an understatement and annahilation is too weak...

I kicked a pebble and watched it scutter over the landscape when I heard a hiss. I reconized the hiss from the sound data in our briefing on the Demons. It was an Imp! Its red eyes blazed with the brightness of a thousand fires, its claws shined white like ivory and it had sharp teeth, yellow from lack of a toothbrush. I whirled around and fired with my pistol, dropping it before it could shoot fire at me. I looked back at the base and saw the huge ship floating above it. I checked my ammo. 5 clips, 15 rounds each. I had the ammo but real good firepower I lacked. I needed to get ahold of some serious artilery. I rushed towards the base praying that the Marines were kicking ass.

I approached the door of the facility and opened it. Instantly I was under assault by a zombie. It fired at me with a pistol. I hid then jumped out and put a round in its head. It fell to the ground dropping a pistol that matched mine. Dual pistols, that idea appealed to me. I felt like John Woo. I looted the corpse of the former human, whom I could tell was once a Marine but I had never met him. I found 2 clips and a few shotgun shells. I looked up and on a pedastal was a black package with a red cross on it. I had heard about those things, they were shots of pure adrenaline mixed with a cocktail of medicine, known as a Berserk Pack among the men, it could not only heal you pretty good but it made you a powerhouse, a single punch was lethal most of the time. I opened up the pack, took out the thin tube that was inside. Inside the tube was the actual needle to inject myself. The tube was shockproof so I could carry it in my pocket safely, which I did. I knew I'd need it. I opened the door at the front of the room and inside were three former humans. One looked to be a U.A.C. miner and he was weilding a rusty revolver. The other two looked to be Marines, one had a shotgun and the other had a pistol like mine. I instantly opened fire with my pistols and dropped them before they knew what hit them. I was going to take the revolver but when I noticed the sorry state it was in I decided against it. The shotgun had a cracked stock so firing it would shatter the stock and send wood splinters into my flesh. I did, however, take the shells and clips from the zombies I had dropped. I heard a hiss and I looked up. It looked like an Imp except it was translucent purple, taller, more muscular and its spikes were larger. I had never seen anything like it, it was like an Imp that could only be thought up in a nightmare. Yeah, it was a Nightmare Imp. It reared back both of its arms and thrust them forth, sending out two purple fireballs at me. I dropped to the floor and fired with my pistols, emptying them into the creature to kill it. Holy shit, if there were monsters never seen before then what the fuck was I getting myself into? I reloaded my pistols and looked around. To my left was a door and to my right was some steps, which I decided to go up. At the top I found a little armory. I found a working shotgun, sitting next to it was a hacksaw, shells, clips, bullet chains for a Chaingun, a hand grenade and some security armor. I used the hacksaw to saw off the barrel of the shotgun and cut the stock to give the shotgun a nice pistol grip. I put my pistols away, put the grenade on my belt and walked back down the steps. I opened the door and looked inside. Inside was a single zombie, it was unarmed by I saw a needle hanging out of its arm. It was berserk! It rushed at me but I was quicker, I fired a round into its stomach. It stopped for a moment then roared again and charged. I fired again and that did the trick as the zombie fell to the ground sending the syringe in its arm across the room. Poor bastard, he was trying to heal himself before he was turned into a zombie. He didn't have any ammo or anything I could use. I looked around the room and found a security console but it was broken. I saw two switches, one labelled "courtyard" the other labelled "console cubby". I flicked them both. When I flicked console cubby I heard a grind and looked at the security terminal. It was moving out of the way. It revealed a room with a box of shotgun shells, a backpack and a Ka-Bar combat knife. I collected the ammo and the knife and went back out into the main room. I saw a small doorway that had been revealed when I hit the courtyard switch. I didn't know what could be out there but I decided to check it out.

The courtyard didn't have much other than 3 Imps circled around a marble pedastal with a beating heart on it! The seemed to be "praying" for lack of a better term. I opened fire with my shotgun and fragged 'em all. One did manage to turn all the way around but before it could toss a fireball I had already tore its chest open with a load of buckshot. I went back into the facility. Around the corner was nothing but a ledge that I couldn't get onto but there was a switch on a wall near the ledge. I clicked the switch and stairs rose from the floor, allowing me to get on the ledge. I went up and approached the door that was up there. Inside was another Imp and he surprised me. He reached out with his claw and scratched my arm, not bad enough to need any real medical attention but it stung like hell. I kicked it, making it sprawl back. I shot the brown monster in the head which made a nice smear on the wall. I stepped into the room. It was quite small and I figured it out. It was an elevator. I pressed the down button and waited.

It stopped at a lab. I had reloaded my shotgun during the trip down so I was ready for action. When I stepped out I heard a growl and a human!
"Ge-get away from me!" I heard the voice say. I saw a man in a labcoat on the ground shuffling away from a Demon. I quickly pumped 3 shells into the big pink animal. It slapped against the ground with a thud, blood oozing from its wounds. The man in the labcoat stood up and rushed over to me.
"Oh my God, you saved my life!" he said, wiping sweat from his forehead.
"Who are you?" I asked him.
"My name is Larry Garman, I'm a researcher here" he replied, nervous.
"Larry, I'm John. Do you know how to use guns?"
"Yes, yes, my friends used to ta-take me to a fi-firing range."
"Here," I said, handing him my extra pistol and some clips "take this, this may help you"
"Thank...thank you" he responded, still scarred.
"Do you have anything that I could use?"
"Well, I-" he said, walking over to a computer console. He clicked a few buttons and a few displays came up. "I got some shots of some of the monsters that I have never seen before. One looks like the creature known as an Imp except-" but I cut him off.
"Yep, translucent purple, tosses two fireballs, blah blah blah"
"Yes, th-that is the one. There are also more types of Spectres. Not only have I seen the spectres that are "fuzzy", I have seen translucent Demons, very translucent spectres that are nigh impossible to spot and Spectres that are totally invisible until they attack! Very dangerous indeed!" he said, nodding and adjusting his glasses. "I have also seen another type of floating skull, I call it a Tortured Soul, it seems to use a telepathic attack to injure its target". I swallowed. Ok, so there Demons I could totally not see until it was right there and floating skulls that could attack me from perfect safety. This was not good. "I have also seen one more type of evolved monster. It looks to be an Archvile but it is grey in colour and it shoots a straight wave of monsterous explosive fire at its victims. They can also ressurect fallen monsters and I have even seen them summon Lost Souls and Tortured Souls! I am quite certain there are even more newer, evolved monsters out there" he looked grim. That was not evolution, more like evilution...

I left the lab and Larry behind as I ventured forth. When I had asked Larry to come with me he muttered something about scans and waved me away. Though the thought itself made me upset I did think that it was for the better because frankly I didn't want to have to care for myself AND him. He did, however, give me a radio so we could stay in contact, so that was good, he could give me info I needed. I found a room that seemed to be a ore crushing room. Pistons drove down on rock, crushing them to tiny pieces and then the conveyer belt moved led them to a tube I could only assume that went down the to refinery. Suddenly, a Lost Soul came from around a machine, its bright flames lighting up the otherwise dark room. I raised the sawed off and blasted 2 quick shells into it. Then another came around the corner, then another. Shit. One dove for me, but I ducked, feeling the heat of the soul as it whizzed over my head. It was unlucky enough to be crushed by the ore smasher. The other one was preparing to dive when I destroyed it with my shotty. I walked around the corner of the machine to find a Pain Elemental. I slid back around the corner and reloaded. I looked back and there it was, right in my face! I threw a right hook that connected with its eye. It shut its eye and moaned. I tore it to shreds and out popped three Lost Souls, two of which died upon exiting the body of the Pain Elemental. The other one died shortly after. I was about to go back around the corner when I noticed a wall with light coming from under it. It was a secret room! I opened the door and mentally thanked the Big Guy for what I found. A double barrel shotgun, slugs that could go into either shotgun, a matching pistol once again, a few clips and my most exciting part of the find was a .357 Magnum, with a L.A.M. (Laser Aiming Module) and a scope. The Magnum had some speedloaders filled with .357 rounds and 1 speedloader with "Cop Killer" rounds loaded. Oh baby! I put the sawed off away and readied the .357. I walked back out to find a curious Imp searching about. It didn't notice me. I couldn't stop grinning as I moved the laser dot up its spine. I popped it, one shot, its head exploded in a sadistic rain of gore. I decided to get the hell out of this room before anything else wanted to look about.

Well, the next few rooms I had found were pretty much empty, aside from a very beaten up Light Security Vest which would have offered me almost no protection at all. I can't remember how many rooms I searched in before I found the "assembly line". I watched as the bodies of Archviles went into a chamber only to come out the other side as a Revenant. I found a very big wrench and slid it in between the gears of the device, stopping it cold. Then I tore out the console that ran the damned thing. I looked at the Revenants and realized they didn't attack me. Why? I figured they didn't put any "life" into them yet or something. Aside from that fact, I decided to lay a grenade down. I ducked behind the "assembly line" and heard the loud explosion. I was satisfied with my work, to say the least. I checked some of the boxes in the room and found a Remington 12 gauge shotgun, used for riot control, but it had a very nasty bend in the barrel. Firing it would be a bad thing. I tossed it aside and collected the shells instead. Found some clips for my pistols too. Without warning, the radio sputtered, grasping me like the hand of an unseen God.
"John! John" the radio called. It was Larry.
"Larry!" I shouted, happy he was still alive.
"John, I ran a systems check on our weapons inventory and I think you'll be glad to hear this"
"Oh, come on, tell me, tell me!"
"Well, it appears our friends at the U.A.C. have a few special weapons lying around. A few BFG 2704s, which were prototypes to the BFG 9000, which are also in stock, a few Plasma Rifles and some Flamethrowers." he informed me.
"Hell yeah! Anything else?"
"Well, the rest of the records are thrashed, that was all I could gather, sorry"
"No worries," I assured him "that will be enough"
"Good. Larry out" and the transmition was over. I had seen the BFG 2704 in a training video and had used the BFG 9000 on various occasions. I never used a Plasma Rifle but I had heard good things. I went back to my rummaging.

I didn't turn up with much other than a great find, a Combat Suit. It came with a nice, sleek, new type of armor, capable of withstanding hardcore fire, Multi-Purpose boots, which are for trodding through acid and going EVA while in space, a helmet with nice digital displays, built in thermal, night vision and light amp, but the batteries are a bitch to find, they cost a hell of a lot and are made of some rare ore from Phobos and Deimos. I also found a Field Surgeon's Pack, which I could use if I was wounded. Pretty interesting device inside that all I have to do is strap it to my wrist and it can read my vitals, tell me what is wounded and what to use to fix it. Fuck, with this thing, I could do open heart surgery, well...if I had the training. Ah, the wonders of modern medicine. I also remembered I had the Berserk Pack to fall back on as well. I was walking towards a door when the floor collapsed, causing me to fall into a room. With a grunt I landed. I turned on the night vision, as it used up the least ammount of battery power and checked out the room. I found a rifle with a bayonet but no ammo. It had a few rounds left in it. I cleaned it and put it away, pulling out the double barrel. I found a ladder and climbed up. The hatch at the top was almost falling off anyway, so I simply pushed it. I was on the other side of the door I was originally intending to enter. I looked up to see, well...it was a skull, with horns. It could be considered the little brother of a Lost Soul. It made an odd hiss and its eyes started to glow a bright green. Suddenly my body felt as if it was engulfed in the flames of Hell itself, the pain wracking every inch of my body, even my toes hurt! I let go of the ladder and fell to the ground, the pain slowly subsiding. I stood up and looked. The Demonic Soul was right above me! I unloaded both barrels into it. Mystic energy swirled around it for a brief second, then it crumpled into dust. What the fuck? I knew this was going to be a rough mission. I slowly gathered my thoughts. There were new types of creepies running around that nobody else knew about. I suddenly got a wonderful idea. I got on the radio and contacted Larry.
"Larry, it's me, John" I said into the radio.
"I'm here" he responded
"Great! I need to know where I can find a military P.D.A. that has the Milnet database of the demons on it" I asked. I waited for his reply.
"Uh, ok, you should be able to find one in Data Processing" he informed me
"How far is that from me?"
"A few floors down"
"Thanks. John out".

After a bit of hussle and tussle, I found the elevator. It could only go down a few levels. I was lucky that last floor it could go to was to Data Processing. I needed that P.D.A. so I could record information about the new monsters, upload it to the local MilNet, which would then send to signal to Earth. I stepped off the elevator to find a lonesome zombie standing at the end of a coridor. It was armed with a small fire axe. It looked at me and growled, then charged at me. I put it out of my misery with a headshot. Suddenly, the body was lifted off the ground and tossed by an invisible force. I instantly switched to thermal, which showed the shape of a demon. It was one of those invisible ones! I fired at it with my rifle but I couldn't put it down before it was right in front of me. I thrust my bayonet forth and the blade sliced through the skull of the monster. It fell, forming a puddle of its crimson blood. I stepped over its beaten corpse and continued on, looking for that P.D.A. that I needed. Suddenly, a zombie jumped out from the shadows. It was holding an Assault Rifle! It pulled the trigger and I dove for cover around a corner. I heard it clomping around the corner, so I jumped out right in front of it and fired, the rifle round catching its throat, killing it instantly. I looked at the zombie's weapon. It was in pretty bad shape. This pissed me off, why couldn't the zombies get a good gun for once? I entered a room filled with computers and monitors...and corpses! Bodies and heads impaled on spikes, people with torn limbs hanging from ropes on the ceilings, people crucified on the walls. My head started spinning, sickness overwhelming me. I fought the urge to vomit as I searched the room for a P.D.A., which I found none. I found a small hatch, which I opened and climbed down. The room below was well lit, a change from the darkness I had usually been surrounded by. The room contained a few blue flasks. They contained a cocktail of all sorts of healing crap, drinking it was really good for you. I drank the fluid, which tasted kinda like Root Beer mixed with Blueberries. I felt a little better, but not by much. I also found a flashlight, which was broken, but I didn't need it. I also found a Plasma Cell for a Plasma Rifle. After I finished stripping the room of its treasures, I entered the door on the left side of the room. I walked into the hallway, which met an intersection. The left had a locked door, it needed a red key card, the right needed a blue one, the one in front of me needed no key, so I entered it. Inside was one of those freakin' Nightmare Imps! I put away my rifle and pulled out the double barrel shotgun. I fired the first barrel into the damned thing and it roared in pain, then tossed two fireballs at me, one from each hand. They missed but the fire felt hot as it sailed past me. I fired the second barrel and that did the trick. The gun fire attracted some zombies, one was armed with a rifle like mine, except with no bayonet, the other was armed with an old revolver and the third was holding a chrome Desert Eagle! God how I wanted that gun. I fired the first barrel into the closest zombie, dropping it, then got the second. The one with the Eagle however, wasn't as stupid. It went around a corner and started taking potshots at me. I waited until the 7 round clip was expended and rushed around the corner and killed the zombie, claiming his Desert Eagle as mine. I collected Desert Eagle and Rifle ammo from the zombies and ventured down the hallway...

I had found one darkass room. I flipped on the light amp and looked around. I heard the screech of a Lost Soul and looked as one dived towards me, jaws open, ready to take a lethal bite. I used my freshly liberated Eagle on the bastard, killing it with one well placed shot. It exploded, spewing bone and fire in all directions. I scrounged about the room and found the body of a U.A.C. miner, who was clutching a fire axe. I took the axe, since it not only had the axe blade but a pick too. I searched his corpse and found a red key card and a pack of gum. I tossed the gum aside and kept the key. I also shut his eyes before I ventured back to the intersection hallyway. Once I got there I unlocked the red door. On the other side I was staring at the ass of a Hell Knight. Ugh. I aimed and fired the remaining clip of my Eagle into the minotaur-like monster. It looked almost dead as I reloaded. It roared in defiance and reared back its claw and then thrust it forth, shooting a green fireball at me. I ducked and the fireball went over my head but before I could gain my bearings the Hell Knight was upon me! It raked its massive claw across my chest, ripping some of my armor. It punched me, knocking me back. I fell against the wall and looked up to see the Knight right above me, its eyes a blazing red. It lifted its hoof, surely to stomp the life out of me, but my plans didn't include dying. I rolled out of the way and quickly got up. It turned to look at me, angry that I had used my wits and quick reflexes. I apologized with some .50 cal rounds. It sounded out its acceptance via a death cry. I advanced into the room and found more computer terminals and lo and behold, I found two things I needed! A P.D.A. and the blue key card. I returned once again to the intersection and unlocked the blue door. On the other side was a portal, a swirling cloud of red, suspended in midair. I sucked in a lungful of O2 and hopped in.

The portal spit me out the other side as if I was a piece of rotten meat. I hit the ground with a grunt, and slowly got to my feet. I looked around but there wasn't much to see. In the center of a large "lobby" was a fountain, the face of a gargoyle with lava dripping from its mouth. On top of the fountain was a Plasma Rifle! FUCK! I needed a Toxin Protection Suit to get through the pool without being burned to a crisp. As if my luck wasn't bad already, two Imps and one Nightmare Imp decided to show up. The Nightmare Imp was harder to see but I put down its more visible cousins with little trouble. It tossed its dual fireballs at me and I dove to the side, but one of the fireballs grazed my arm. It hurt like a son of a bitch, but I gritted my teeth and blasted the purple Imp, its matching color blood spilling out onto the ground. I looked around the "lobby" for a bit and found some slugs for my shotgun and a few clips for my Desert Eagle, as well as some Cop Killer rounds for my .357 Magnum. My burn was starting to annoy me so I searched for some health, but found none in the room. I had my choice of a door on the left and a door on the right, so I took the right. It seemed to be some sort of warehouse, boxes stacked near to the ceiling. I inspected a few of the cardboard ones, but all they contained were various lab comodities. I checked out the label on a wooden crate and it promised some medical suplies. I pulled out my axe and cut the box open. Out fell Stimulant Packs (Stimpacks for short), Medkits, Field Surgeon Bags and a few Adrenaline needles in shockproof cases. I opened up a medkit and cleaned up my wound, grabbed a few Adrenaline cases and nabbed a Field Surgeons Pack as well. I also remembered I had the Berserk Pack in my pocket as well. There were some metal crates around too, which contained guns and ammo but I couldn't get them open. I stalked about the warehouse and found a few bodies. One guy had a pack of cigarettes and a nice windproof lighter, which I took, the other man had a wallet with his ID and a picture of his family, the woman had nothing of interest in her purse other than various lipsticks and makeup. Suddenly the woman jumped up and bit me in the throat, tearing away some of my flesh. I pushed her off and shot her until she stopped moving. I started to cough...I was dying. I remembered the Berserk Pack I had, so I took it out and jabbed the needle into my arm and shot up. I felt the flesh slowly heal and the bite close up...and then I felt it. The insane rage, the urge to kill. I stood up and pulled out my axe. I wanted blood! I left the warehouse in search of somebody or something to cut wide open. I went into the other room on the other side of the lobby. On the other side was two zombies and an Imp. I brought the axe down and sliced the head off the closest zombie. More zombies came from around the corner, most unarmed. I brought the pick up into the stomach of the Imp and pulled up, gutting the spiked bastard. I went to work on the rest of the zombies, hacking and cutting, shouting curses gleefully in my madness, getting covered in blood and gore, killing. Once everything was dead I started to chop at the corpse of the last zombie I killed when suddenly the rage went away. I realized I was covered in the blood and guts of zombies and started to vomit. I found a large tarp and wiped myself off. I walked around the corner to see an Archvile, but it looked different. Its back was turned to me so it didn't notice me. I noticed that a few feet in front of it on the wall was a rack which had an AK-47 in it. I pulled out the double barrel shotgun and blasted the damned thing in the back with both barrels. It turned around and hissed at me, its hollow eyes were fixed on me. I reloaded the shotgun as I backed away from it. It raised its hands and brought them down, causing a wave of fire to fly towards me. It was so fast I didn't even have time to move and was caught by it. It sent me flying back, over the tops of some crates which seemed to form a wall. I stood up, woozy. My head hurt like a motherfucker and I dislocated my shoulder when I fell. I rammed it against the wall until it went back into its socket. I could hear the Archvile running around on the other side of the crate wall, its throaty grumble sounding more like laughing. I looked around, I was in a pretty tiny room, which was probably just a little cubby before the wall was put in place. A switch on the back wall caught my eye. I approached it, looking for a label to find none. I flicked it anyway. It didn't seem to do anything around me so I wondered what it did. I thought about a way to get the hell out of this damn room. I COULD use a grenade to move the crates but I'd probably end up blowing myself to bits as well...but I could throw it on the other side, but that would blow the crates my way, crushing me. I looked at the stack of steel crates, hoping for the answer to come to me. Quickly I realized I could probably climb up this thing! I started my climb, pulling myself up from crate to crate and ended up on top. I looked down to see the Archvile tromping about below me. I blasted it from my postition on top of the crates with my DBS. It hissed with pain and looked up at me. I closed the barrels and shot the skinny gray monster again. That did the trick as it crumpled to the floor into a pile of bloody gibs. I jumped down from the stack and went forth and nabbed the AK-47 and the ammo from the rack. I travelled back to the lobby and noticed that the fountain had been drained and the center had lowered so I could nab that Plasma Gun! I stepped into the fountain and walked over to the weapon. When I stepped onto the platform I felt a rush and saw a flash of green light. I wasn't in that lobby anymore and I wasn't clutching a Plasma Rifle either. I jumped when I heard a voice speak to me.
"John" the voice gasped, it was a female...it was Jen!
"JEN!" I shouted gleefully
"John" she repeated and then coughed "Help...me". I walked over to her. She had a nasty gash on her stomach and a bullet hole in her right arm. She looked to be in pretty bad shape. I took out my Field Surgeon's Pack and patched her up. After 20 minutes, she looked a lot better. The pack had food in it, which we sat there and ate.
"Thank you" she said, pausing to take a bite of the sandwhich "you didn't have to waste your pack on me you know"
"Yes, I did, or else I would have felt like the world's biggest asshole". She laughed and then so did I. This was great, being with Jen again. She was a survivor, no doubt about that. She grew up on a farm and that is where she learned to use certain guns. Unbeknownst to me, she had once been in the Army, but quit after the sexaul harrasment became to much for her. She had a Shotgun, a Rifle and a Pistol with her, she didn't have armor like mine which had webbing to hold more guns so she had to travel light. She ran into one of those spectres which slashed her and a zombie had shot her. I asked her how she got past the lava.
"Lava?" she asked incredously "That wasn't lava. I thought it was too, at first, but I decided to check it out anyway. I tossed my watch in there and it didn't melt or anything. Then I dipped my finger into it. Nothing happened, so, I climbed up onto the platform to get that gun but I ended up here, dazed, so, I decided to lay down and wait to die". She then burst into tears and fell into my arms.
"It's ok, it's ok" I kept mumbling, brushing my hand over her soft hair.

A few minutes later we got up and headed out. She gripped her shotgun, and I gripped my double barrel. A contingent of Imps were hiding behind crates, I could hear them. They didn't move, neither did we. I looked around. Barrels and barrels full of that explosive green shit sat idle in this room. I took off a hand grenade from my chest, pulled the pin and tossed it. I shut the door quickly and we both stepped way back from the door. *BOOM*! She opened the door. Blood and body parts everywhere, as well as tipped over crates. One lone in crawled on the floor, its legs missing and it had a badly burned face. I walked over to it and unloaded both barrels into its skull. The large wooden door on the other side of the room suddenly burst open, a large Hell Knight standing in the door. We both started pumping rounds into it, its green blood splattering against the deck. The damned thing refused to just be a good little demon and die. Instead, it lashed a fireball at us, the green energy blast flying towards us with deadly intent. I ducked and Jennifer dove to the side, cursing as she landed. I stood up and blasted the thing in the stomach, slicing its flesh open, exposiing its guts. It put both claws on the wound and growled. It staggered and then fell. I was getting utterly sick of this and in a rage I began to shout "WHY! WHY ARE YOU DOING THIS TO ME!? WHY?" I kept screaming, expecting the Lord to answer, but he didn't. I fell to my hands and knees and hung my head, the same question, WHY?, rolling around in my head.
"We have to go" Jen said, her sultry voice kick-starting me back to reality. I got up and ventured forth, into the unknown.

TO BE CONTINUED IF I FEEL LIKE IT :)

Well, I already read this when you wanted me to give it a lookover a while ago. It is indeed an original story with some nice ideas here and there - but now I've read it again, (I think I commented on this before, back when I looked over it for ya), I realize that some of the combat seems a bit tedious at times.

I know it might be a little much to ask and that it is indeed difficult, but maybe try and describe the combat differently from time to time.

Sometimes you should describe e.g. how John can hear the bullets rip into the flesh of an enemy and other times, maybe describe how the mess looks, a la: "The blast seemed to rip the imp in half. Small chunks of flesh and bone fragments were torn out of the monster's body"
And also, try to describe his feelings a little more.

Finally, an abbreviation like "A P.D.A." should be explained (I didn't notice any explanation, but maybe I just missed it?) - not everyone here is familar with fancy abbreviations.

Anyway, I like the way you've done each character.

This is one of the best Doom stories I have ever read.!!! You should write a book... :) Any way, it really looks like you put some time into this which deserves respect!!! And if you doom levels are as good as your story, then look out doomworld.. :)

BBG said:

...calling us back from our world of fun.

How homoerotic. :P

General Ashcroft

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAH.

Ultraviolet said:

*GENERAL ASHCROFT*
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAH.

I'm glad somebody got that.

Hey BBG, didn't you write this a while ago? I remember reading it maybe 2 years ago, still, very good. I hope to see more of your work. :)

ravage said:

Hey BBG, didn't you write this a while ago? I remember reading it maybe 2 years ago, still, very good. I hope to see more of your work. :)

2 years ago? You must be clairvoyant, I've had this sitting on my HD for months, working on it slowly.

BBG said:

2 years ago? You must be clairvoyant, I've had this sitting on my HD for months, working on it slowly.

Hmm, musta been someone else then. :P

ravage said:

Hmm, musta been someone else then. :P

Someone else did post a Final Doom story once, but I've forgotten who - it definitely wasn't BBG.