Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Old-Doomguy

Collection of kid friendly mods?

5 hours ago, Old-Doomguy said:

So the kid really enjoyed Square. But it's a tad too difficult with both jumping, freelook and crouch. A bit overwhelming. Will try that Voxeldoom as well :)

I would definitely try the Wool Ball games. They're a lot simpler, but still a lot of fun.

The Given

Maskim Xul Map01

Super Mayhem 17 + Mario Patch + "Bubble Em" + "No Ultra-Violence"

TBH I think this is a really dumb. Why not instead of a shooter let your kid play something wholesome, like Abzu, The Gardens Between, Archaica, Scribblenauts, Into The Breach or Stardew Valley. That's just a few ideas from my library.

Edited by <<Rewind

Ask your wife if Heretic would be okay. It's a fantasy game about shooting magic at monsters. Maybe she'll approve when there's no guns. There's also lots of Heretic wads to try out. If Heretic gets a pass you could also try Amid Evil. If even Heretic is too violent, I'm going to almost guarantee that Hocus Pocus Doom mod isn't oging to give your kid any nightmares. Then there's Sonic Robo Blast, which is pretty much 3D sonic in a modified Doom engine. Then as others have pointed out, Adventures Of Square. Also, try out Star Wars total conversion Doom wads. Also, Super Mario Doom.

Edited by Samuel Slayer

1 hour ago, <<Rewind said:

Super Mayhem 17 + Mario Patch 

These two Mods contain Gore, "Kid-Friendly" not "Semi Kid-Friendly"

1 hour ago, <<Rewind said:

TBH I think this is a really dumb. Why not instead of a shooter let your kid play something wholesome, like Abzu, The Gardens Between, Archaica, Scribblenauts, Into The Breach or Stardew Valley. That's just a few ideas from my library.

Btw, Some of these Games you mentioned Include Guns And/Or Gun-like Weapons (I think? Tbh I don't have a good Memory)

33 minutes ago, HitBoi64 said:

These two Mods contain Gore, "Kid-Friendly" not "Semi Kid-Friendly"

Yeah but I edited the post adding the gore removal: "Bubble Em" + "No Ultra-Violence"

Now, I tried it out and replacing Doom weapons and monsters to those also removes fun from the game for me.

33 minutes ago, HitBoi64 said:

Btw, Some of these Games you mentioned Include Guns And/Or Gun-like Weapons (I think? Tbh I don't have a good Memory)

ITB is a puzzle game like chess where you put mechs on the board and they shoot missiles at aliens that invade cities.

edit: it's free on Epic games store this week, coincidentally.

2 minutes ago, <<Rewind said:

Yeah but I edited the post adding the gore removal: "Bubble Em" + "No Ultra-Violence"

Now, I tried it out and replacing Doom weapons and monsters to those also removes fun from the game for me.

ITB is a puzzle game like chess where you put mechs on the board and they shoot missiles at aliens that invade cities.

edit: it's free on Epic games store this week, coincidentally.

But I wasn't asking for whats fun for us, but for kids :D

Bubble em was cool but I let him play that voxel doom, it was even less gory and more suitable.

Hate to necro this thread, but you might be interested in this one total conversion in the works. It's based on the SNES game "Zombies Ate My Neighbors!" and it's basically violence free.

Here's the latest demo: https://www.moddb.com/mods/zombies-doomed-my-neighbors-mod/downloads/zamn-tc-march-demo

There's also this, "Smashing Pumpkins in a Dark Wonderland." It's a really strange total conversion, almost looking like a jokewad on the surface, but the creator says that it specifically doesn't have any blood or gore. Maybe your kid will get a kick out of it?

I finally started working on a de-violent mod for Doom and Doom 2 I mentioned in page 1. Progress is good but it's more work than I thought. You never really think about just how much is in Doom.

So far I've changed all monster deaths to a fade out of existance, completely removed blood sprites, no pain or death sounds from monsters, changed skill names, changed Boss Brain and Keen (Keen is now a barrel lol), muted the creepy Icon sounds, and removed the bunny scene and made it happy instead. I also started replacing textures that depict anything violent or gory or disturbing with the built-in non violent equivalents.

Still lots to do but soon I'll have made a hopefully kid friendly way to get into Doom while having it still be Doom at it's core.

I know, I'm destroying Doom. Shame on me.

@Old-Doomguyprops to you to induce a well known game that has violence and show the kid a goreless way to do it. You know that the kid will embrace the dark side sooner or later :D

7 hours ago, leodoom85 said:

@Old-Doomguyprops to you to induce a well known game that has violence and show the kid a goreless way to do it. You know that the kid will embrace the dark side sooner or later :D

Hehe yeah well in my opinion, the kids need to know some history regarding their interests. 

How many young boxers doesn't know Tyson and Ali etc?

How many young guitarists doesn't know YJM, Steve Vai etc?

So why shouldn't gamerkidz know about quake, doom, Mario, metroid etc etc?

Mod's almost done. Managed to do pretty much all of it with code only and it's only 32 KB currently. I have successfully turned Doom into a T rated game lmao. The only thing I'm leaving in is the monster see sounds because they play an important role in gameplay. Apologies in advance if the Revenant scream causes nightmares. I took inspiration from Marathon teleporting for the way monsters die now. They will shrink horizontally and fade out at the same time. Pretty happy with it. Removed all words alluding to kill, dead, or death too, like in obituaries. This will hopefully be a great and safe way for kids to get into Doom. I don't think this has ever really been done before either.

When I release it, I'll supply a full list of the changes. It works globally in Doom, Doom 2, Plutonia and TNT!

Oh and I decided to make raise states for Archviles look like it's spawning the monster instead of resurrecting it, complete with teleport fog.

Edited by Nevander

1 hour ago, Nevander said:

Mod's almost done. Managed to do pretty much all of it with code only and it's only 32 KB currently. I have successfully turned Doom into a T rated game lmao. The only thing I'm leaving in is the monster see sounds because they play an important role in gameplay. Apologies in advance if the Revenant scream causes nightmares. I took inspiration from Marathon teleporting for the way monsters die now. They will shrink horizontally and fade out at the same time. Pretty happy with it. Removed all words alluding to kill, dead, or death too, like in obituaries. This will hopefully be a great and safe way for kids to get into Doom. I don't think this has ever really been done before either.

When I release it, I'll supply a full list of the changes. It works globally in Doom, Doom 2, Plutonia and TNT!

Oh and I decided to make raise states for Archviles look like it's spawning the monster instead of resurrecting it, complete with teleport fog.

I think it's pretty cool that you're doing this. It's something actually useful for parents of kids who aren't allowed to play gory games, and it's something most modders wouldn't bother taking the time to create. Hats off to you :) I'm sure a lot of people will make good use of it.

2 hours ago, Nevander said:

Sounds really fantastic man! Can't wait to try it out with my son!

22 hours ago, Old-Doomguy said:

Sounds really fantastic man! Can't wait to try it out with my son!

It is done! Please try it out yourself first before using it for real, and make sure to read the included text file for some safety measures. Runs with GZDoom. Have fun, and please let me know if I missed anything.

EDIT: Updated with fixed link.

https://www.doomworld.com/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=107275

Edited by Nevander : Fixed file

Good job, Nevander!

Even the fleshy-tentackly flats are replaced! They were kinda gross.

I guess that you can also replace doomcurs.png (from gzdoom.pk3). It's a severed bunny head used for mouse cursor.

37 minutes ago, Doomenator said:

Archvile resurrects the invisible monsters.

I thought I fixed that... hold on.

EDIT: Fixed it. Stupid me forgot to set scale back to 1.0 on the raise states.

36 minutes ago, m8f said:

Good job, Nevander!

Even the fleshy-tentackly flats are replaced! They were kinda gross.

I guess that you can also replace doomcurs.png (from gzdoom.pk3). It's a severed bunny head used for mouse cursor.

Oh crap... forgot about that stupid default cursor. I'll fix it in a minute.

EDIT: Fixed. See the new file above.

Edited by Nevander

Thought I saw a wad once that removes the gore/turns all the red gore into green gore and removes some of those creepy corpses