Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Remilia Scarlet

[Release] Oops! All Greyboxes! Community Project v1.5

34 minutes ago, Remilia Scarlet said:

You MUST use long texture names on your maps or they will be rejected   outright.  This is a firm requirement.

so i absolutely HAVE to fix all issues with long texture names asap. message taken. ;-)

p.s.: that screenshot looks great! abstract architecture plus abstract textures creates an interesting case of aesthetics. it is like we're going into UAC base before it is completed, to clean it up, so we can safely show it to UAC executives. ;-)

1 minute ago, Walter confetti said:

Looks pretty interesting! I have to see if in GZDB-BUGFIX I can use these long textures name thing...

You definitely can.  All of my maps have used it since SoTNR, and SoTNR was done on regular GZDB.

I have a small suggestion. I think that the "letters/numbers" on the textures/flats should also be removed (like 128x128, trim, door).  The screenshot you posted on the OP actually looks aesthetically pleasing and would look even better if the letters/numbers are removed.

The smiley can be kept tho.

Now this is an intriguing concept. I don't recall seeing (m)any Doom maps that utilized an aesthetic as stripped-down as essentially looking like an untextured map, much less intentionally so.

Sign me up for this one!

8 hours ago, ReaperAA said:

I have a small suggestion. I think that the "letters/numbers" on the textures/flats should also be removed (like 128x128, trim, door).  The screenshot you posted on the OP actually looks aesthetically pleasing and would look even better if the letters/numbers are removed.

The smiley can be kept tho.

I'm liking this, and was thinking the same thing as I fell asleep last night.  I'll adjust and make them (mostly) textless later today.  A few, like LIFT and DOOR, should probably stay.

7 hours ago, Redneckerz said:

Would Kinsie's Gameplay Test Map and Fraggle's Miniwad be something of interest to this? Because this project seems to slide inbetween both in terms of look. :)

I love this, by the way. :)

They kind of are!  The big differences are that we're aiming for complete, polished maps, not just a testing area; and I'm not aiming for a particular size.  These should be finished maps, minus the environment textures and detail.

I like the textures with the numbers or text on them, I can see why someone might not though. I know you might want to keep the texture set minimal but if both options were available I would use them, if it's not too much work. I think the numbers and letters can be 'funny' if used right.

What I'm thinking right now is:

TRIM will be both with and without text.

The 32x32 ones with numbers/letters/symbols/smiley face all stay.

DOOR and LIFT stay.

The ones with 128x128/64x64 have the text removed.

34 minutes ago, Remilia Scarlet said:

They kind of are!  The big differences are that we're aiming for complete, polished maps, not just a testing area; and I'm not aiming for a particular size.  These should be finished maps, minus the environment textures and detail.

That's what i got out of it: Something similar (but more polished) in look to these two things and as a playable WAD instead of a tool :)

Having played your work, I know this will be very good!, I wish good luck to all those who will contribute!

Holy crap that filled up fast. I've added two more slots, and there is now only three open.

I can always add more slots if more want to join.

EDIT: Also, the resource pk3 in the original post is now updated to v1.1.1.

Edited by Remilia Scarlet

10 hours ago, Finnthemapmaker said:

Why is it a MUST to have long texture names , i dont get it.

Some of the tools I use only work with long texture names.  Also, many of the names are longer than 8 characters.  Also also, I didn't separate them by texture/flat due to the nature of the project (I never do on any of my projects, honestly).

Anyway, resource pk3 updated to v1.1.2 in the original post ^_^

Since the deadline is in 10 days I let myself bump this thread. How is the development?

Hey, one question? Why?

Why GZDoom compatibility? People are usually more creative when working with restrictions, and most people are going to try and use the GZDoom functions and avoid vanilla maps when they have the ability to, just to use those billions of random functions so it doesn't seem useless.

Why have long texture names? Just interested.

Why no Slaughtermaps? Even pretty ones that make prototype textures look like a Ribbiks Mona Lisa?

Why did you pick those custom monsters? Same as Question #2.

Oh, and most important of them all...

just, why?

8 hours ago, AtticTelephone said:

Hey, one question? Why?

Why GZDoom compatibility? People are usually more creative when working with restrictions, and most people are going to try and use the GZDoom functions and avoid vanilla maps when they have the ability to, just to use those billions of random functions so it doesn't seem useless.

Why have long texture names? Just interested.

Why no Slaughtermaps? Even pretty ones that make prototype textures look like a Ribbiks Mona Lisa?

Why did you pick those custom monsters? Same as Question #2.

Oh, and most important of them all...

just, why?

Not everything must be what you want, bro.

If you want all of those "restrictions", why not making it or add it to your own project, hm?

I've gone ahead and moved the deadline ahead to December 31st, 2020.  I've had some things come up IRL that are going to prevent me from getting a PK3 out quickly, so I figured I'd just move it ahead to give everyone that much more time to polish things up.