Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Kerstens

Hello everybody!

Hi! I'm Kerstens, and I'm a very big classic DOOM fan. I've played DOOM ever since I got it in 1996, and, 7 years later, I'm still addicted :)

I've done some map editing as well as DeHackEd patches. I made a level plus patch called Outpost, and I'd like to submit it here, and I'd like to get some comments. Can anyone help me with this? I'm rather new to the internet itself, so my knowledge is somewhat limited I'm afraid :)

Thank you!

thx!

Oh, by the way, does anyone know of a way to edit the DOOM95 executable? I tried a little with DeHackEd, but it didn't work. Is there a windows editor for DOOM?

Kerstens said:

thx!

Oh, by the way, does anyone know of a way to edit the DOOM95 executable? I tried a little with DeHackEd, but it didn't work. Is there a windows editor for DOOM?

It's recommended to get in an exorcist to brutally murder Doom95, and get Eternity or Zdoom.

Hi, welcome to DW.

Doom has changed somewhat since the beginning, and as you're new to the internet you may not comprehend just how much.

You don't want to be editing the doom executable. The fist thing you want to be doing is going to http://zdoom.notgod.com/lars and downloading 39.cab which is the latest version of the sourceport zdoom. It's Doom but better. Install all the stuff in your doom dir and run. See for yourself. Most of doom.exe's original limits/bugs are gone, and just look at all those options.

Zdoom and other ports such as Eternity are now capable of effects such as sloped and scrolling objects, floors etc. You'll discover that many of the wads being made today are strictly for later versions of zdoom, incorporating these cracking modern gaming features.

For example, you're dehacked issues. .deh characteristics can now be stored as a lump in a wad file. Get Zeth or DeepSea for editing in Windows, though you have to pay for DeepSea.

Heh, I guess you have a lot to take in, enjoy browsing DW and seeing how Doom has more life in it than ever.

Oh, yeah, and please do cut that sig down. We have an unofficial limit of around 5 lines. Besides, many of those points are obsolete now anyway :)

Cheers.

pritch said:

You don't want to be editing the doom executable. The fist thing you want to be doing is going to http://zdoom.notgod.com/lars and downloading 39.cab which is the latest version of the sourceport zdoom. It's Doom but better. Install all the stuff in your doom dir and run. See for yourself. Most of doom.exe's original limits/bugs are gone, and just look at all those options.

Time line! We're at 41.cab now :P

man o man is this really happening??!

this is too good to be true!!!!!

ZDooM is like a long forgotten dream come true!!! *drool*

thanks pritch!!!

8.If any frame in a demon's death has the code pointer 774, all sectors with tag 666 will open when all demons of that kind have been killed.

Interesting piece of information that I've never seen before.

Welcome to DW. That's a nice round up of interesting facts most well known but it's nice to see them listed.

Hi there, Nice to see someone who clearly knows the game stepping into the new generation of ports and so on.

Kerstens said:

Did you know that:

2.The explosion from the endboss death will appear 288 units from the it's right side.

Is it the right side? I thought it was always to the South regardless of which way its facing????

Anyway, If you want to pop along to my site (shameless plug) there is some dehacked information there. I suspect anything I have is well below your skill level, but I'd like your input if you think there is anything wrong or which could be improved. It's really intended to get people going with easy to medium skill dehacked stuff. There's nothing advanced there.

I haven't updated for a while, and there is a whole bunch of things that have been added to dehacked support in Zdoom in the last few months. I'm sure you could have fun with them too. If you browse around the Zdoomforums you'll find lots of tips and stuff. I go by the cunningly original name of Nigel Rowand around there.

Kerstens profile:
Bilthoven, Holland

Ha, another dutchy. Soon we will take over over this place and force our liberal way on all!

boris said:

Time line! We're at 41.cab now :P

Heh, this is a little ridiculous now. It's gonna get to the stage soon where I'm downloading zdoom every day!

Kerstens said:

man o man is this really happening??!

this is too good to be true!!!!!

ZDooM is like a long forgotten dream come true!!! *drool*

thanks pritch!!!

Wait until you play some ZDoom specific wads, then you'll see what it's really capable of....

Go to this link and find the following files: dark7.zip, dark7mpk1.zip, slipgate.zip, distion.zip, captain.zip, tnt2.zip, satanx.zip and zort01-09.zip.

For Ultimate DooM, go to this link and find the following files: 007ltsd.zip and letdie2.zip

Well, you know more about Doom editing than I do. :D Welcome to DW, I'm sure your IQ has will positively counteract the intelligence pool since I've caused such a draw on it with my stupidity.

pritch said:

Heh, this is a little ridiculous now. It's gonna get to the stage soon where I'm downloading zdoom every day!

Heh, it was a bit like that in the week before Christmas. I was really hoping Randy was heading for a Christmas release, but then full Hexen support, with it's own personal bag of little bugs came along and that didn't happen (whether the 2 are related, I don't know. I had no actual reason to expect a Christmas release, it was just feminine intuition. Which, being male, I am woefully short of.)

Anyway, I would rather have frequent updates and see how things are going, and possibly get even minor bugs squashed along the way (there are 2 that are hampering me ATM, that I would love 42.cab to come out and fix, even if it was just a few hours after 41). Of course, if you find a version that suits you, and does what you want, then there is no need to keep pace with the pre release versions.

Lets just hope a "final" isn't too far away. Then we'd all be operating to the same standard. Randy has said a few times recently that's pretty much what he is working towards. Although his estimate of "a few days" was made about 4 weeks ago. Those naughty little bugs keep raising their heads. :-)

pritch said:

You don't want to be editing the doom executable.

You speak lies, you Bristolian playboy!

/me continues having fun with his vanilla Doom maps

Heh, relax Dan, I think he originally meant Doom's executable itself, not Vanilla Doom maps per se.

It's still possible to make great maps with none of this fancy modern crap in there at all :)

*pritch looks at Lüt and his crazy Rey Key Card-making-machine :P

pritch said:

*pritch looks at Lüt and his crazy Rey Key Card-making-machine :P

Ohhhhh, and wait until you see the FLUSHING TOILETS!