Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
The BMFG

What's The Worst Doom Map To You

E3M1 Hell Keep is the absolute worst map in all of Doom. I can respect maps like Fortress of Mystery, Slough of Despair, Downtown, Chasm, Metal for trying something different. 

E3M1 brings nothing to the table. It's bland, unimaginative, unchallenging, and un-fun. A shitty way to start the final episode of Doom. 

Suburbs and Chasm.

42 minutes ago, paturn said:

E3M1 brings nothing to the table. It's bland, unimaginative, unchallenging, and un-fun. A shitty way to start the final episode of Doom. 

E3M1: Hell Keep brings false security. False security that blows up in your face on E3M8: Warrens.

42 minutes ago, SilverMiner said:

Burn the heretic

Would be fitting if I were burnt in Hell Keep

Imagine a map that's just a circular arena with 100 cyberdemons enclosed in the center. Your only weapon is the pistol, there's an endless supply of bullets, and the exit doesn't open until all the cyberdemons are dead. I don't know if it exists yet, but that is the worst map ever.

5 minutes ago, Pseudonaut said:

Imagine a map that's just a circular arena with 100 cyberdemons enclosed in the center. Your only weapon is the pistol, there's an endless supply of bullets, and the exit doesn't open until all the cyberdemons are dead. I don't know if it exists yet, but that is the worst map ever.

There's the somehow IWAD-worthy "Bad Dream" which is kinda like that. How it ended up deemed worthy enough to be sold by id is beyond me.

(Part of Master Levels)

3 minutes ago, Pechudin said:

There's the somehow IWAD-worthy "Bad Dream" which is kinda like that. How it ended up deemed worthy enough to be sold by id is beyond me.

(Part of Master Levels)

Aren't those cyberdemons killed by a crushing ceiling though? Nothing like the tedious circle-strafing marathon I had in mind.

4 hours ago, paturn said:

E3M1 Hell Keep is the absolute worst map in all of Doom. I can respect maps like Fortress of Mystery, Slough of Despair, Downtown, Chasm, Metal for trying something different. 

I don't remember a place where that collapsing bridge was used until then. For someone back in 1993 who as never played it before, I'd say it was certainly a surprise.

2 hours ago, Pseudonaut said:

Aren't those cyberdemons killed by a crushing ceiling though? Nothing like the tedious circle-strafing marathon I had in mind.

Well yes, but that is the closest thing. Of course, your would be far worse. Like a more boring Tyson run of E2M8, multiplied by a lot. Speaking of which, Tyson runs of E2M8 must be nerve wracking.

Back when I first played The Ultimate Doom on Steam, I was messing around with the idclev cheat and ended up in a castle looking level that I got lost in. I was looking for a key or an exit for like 20 minutes before I just gave up and went to a different level. When I played through Thy Flesh Consumed for the first time, I noticed that E4M7 was the level I was thinking of. Honestly it's a pretty alright map, I'm just posting this because for a few minutes I thought it was the worst map ever.

Edited by N1ck

8 hours ago, Pseudonaut said:

Give me about three hours

1 minute ago, N1ck said:

Better deliver on that promise.

Might take more than three hours since I'm a little busy, but I'll get it done. I can't map for shit so this challenge is perfect for me.

I'm also working on a wad called "Finding Gene Bird" which will surely have some of the worst maps ever.

2 hours ago, TheMagicMushroomMan said:

I'm also working on a wad called "Finding Gene Bird" which will surely have some of the worst maps ever.

With a name like that, I think the levels will turn out decent. "Finding Doomguy 2000" would be a far better name for what you set out to do.

3 hours ago, TheMagicMushroomMan said:

Give me about three hours

if i knew how to live stream with obs i would make a stream trying to complete this

1 minute ago, Andromeda said:

With a name like that, I think the levels will turn out decent. "Finding Doomguy 2000" would be a far better name for what you set out to do.

If I make "Finding Doomguy 2000", I won't have a choice but to make the player kill Doomguy 2000 at the end, but I'm a nice person so I'm not allowed to do that.

"Finding Gene Bird" will be about Doomguy searching for Gene Bird. The problem is, Doomguy has no idea who tf "Gene Bird" is. So along the way, he gets confused and ends up finding other people, such as Gene Simmons, Gene Kelly, Gene Hackman, Gene Siskel, etc. It will have a happy ending though, as Doomguy will finally find Gene's Bird. Whoever tf "Gene" is.

I wasn't under the influence of anything when I came up with this concept.

22 hours ago, TheMagicMushroomMan said:

If I make "Finding Doomguy 2000", I won't have a choice but to make the player kill Doomguy 2000 at the end, but I'm a nice person so I'm not allowed to do that.

"Finding Gene Bird" will be about Doomguy searching for Gene Bird. The problem is, Doomguy has no idea who tf "Gene Bird" is. So along the way, he gets confused and ends up finding other people, such as Gene Simmons, Gene Kelly, Gene Hackman, Gene Siskel, etc. It will have a happy ending though, as Doomguy will finally find Gene's Bird. Whoever tf "Gene" is.

I wasn't under the influence of anything when I came up with this concept.

gene simmons? my favorite rockstar would love to see him in doom

hmm. there are a lot of shitty maps in doom II.

-the gantlet, downtown, nirvana and the spirit world come to mind for me.

the secret level in ultimate doom the shores of hell was so shit I don't remember its name. oh, and slough of despair is slough of despair. 

that's about it.