Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Crizk

mac ports

I'll push my luck and post two back to back source port questions ;) I was reading the source port section of the site here and I realized there are practically no mac source ports listed. This worried me because I'm toying with the idea of buying an ibook and what would a laptop be without Doom? Normally, I'm a pc guy and have little experience with mac. So what kind of ports are available for mac?

Also the new mac os is supposed to have *nix compatibility. Would it be possible to run *nix source ports on mac?

Thanks in advance.

I dunno lol :)

All my previous computers have been PCs. I have been seduced by Mac OS X ;) I admit I used to really dislike macs but ever since I was abducted by aliens...

So is Legacy pretty much it for mac then? That sucks.

Crizk said:

...ever since I was abducted by aliens...

You too eh? Were they little grey men?*

*I've been watching the Taken miniseries on tape again. :P

myk said:

There's a seemingly genuine port for the Mac at the idstuff directory...

I'd guess that is the Mac version of the Doom engine itself (such as can be found on the "Mac" disk of the id Anthology), rather than a Mac source port.

Of course, if Crizk is just looking for some way to play Doom on the Mac, this might be just what he needs. I don't know whether it would work with the standard PC Doom iwads (and pwads) though - it might.

Brad_tilf said:

Aliens use Macs? No wonder they keep finding themselves in wheatfields with Rednecks and morons.

Well DUH! Didn't you see the movie "Independance Day"? ;) ;)

Thanks for your replies.

Yeah in ID4 the hacker dude breaks into the alien computers with a mac and inserts a virus. Funny stuff. I wonder if the mother ship has fire-wire support ;)

So does anyone know if the mac version use the same .wad files as the PC version or not?

Crizk said:

I'll push my luck and post two back to back source port questions ;) I was reading the source port section of the site here and I realized there are practically no mac source ports listed. This worried me because I'm toying with the idea of buying an ibook and what would a laptop be without Doom? Normally, I'm a pc guy and have little experience with mac. So what kind of ports are available for mac?

Also the new mac os is supposed to have *nix compatibility. Would it be possible to run *nix source ports on mac?

Thanks in advance.

How about you don’t buy an iBook. Windows rules!! half the software and game in the world don't work on iMac OS. Trust me. I'm a Computer Geek. I have lots of experience with both and the iMac was not pretty. The only problem with windows is windows ME because its unstable and XP because it slows your computer loading time.

I'm not a windows fan but I do use it for is gaming. I've been toying around with Linux recently. It's pretty cool. I like *nix operating systems and that's part of the attraction of the new Mac OS it's based on BSD which is far more reliable than Windows will ever be. I'll still have my desktop for gaming. I just want something to lug around for "academic purposes."

I can see why there are no mac ports. If you ask about them people just talk you out of getting a mac ;)

i agree with BBG. the only macs i would buy would be non ibook/imac. though a mac destop system, non imac, may be nice a notebook is not. They are expensive and difficult to upgrade. also alot of hardware may have trouble with it. if u did get a mac notebook it would not be that great. typeing is about all it would be good for as software is rare and or expensive. aviod Imac/Ibook and all should be good. you would do better if u got a PC laptop, there is more out for them and they tend to cost much less. other wise you are stuck with what is out if u choose ibook and that port may not work with that version of the mac OS and the ibook hardware.

Grazza said:

I'd guess that is the Mac version of the Doom engine itself (such as can be found on the "Mac" disk of the id Anthology), rather than a Mac source port.

Of course, if Crizk is just looking for some way to play Doom on the Mac, this might be just what he needs. I don't know whether it would work with the standard PC Doom iwads (and pwads) though - it might.

It does. I have an iBook and a PC, and I can play DooM on both with the same IWad. Coming from an unbiased standpoint I can say there is no real difference between Macs and PC's really outside of DooM. Legacy is what I use on my mac. Its compatible with all the wads I've tried it with.

I've been using the Mac version of DOOM for a long time, it works just fine for me with the commercial wads, and with downloaded ones. The wad format is the same, and the only problem I've had is that Legacy is the only source port available, and it's very rarely updated. If I was better at programming, I'd try porting JDoom or ZDoom or something, but I suck at 3D stuff. :]

Oh, and if Mac sucks so hard, then how come they developed DOOM III and Q3A on it? :P