Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
everennui

what are you working on? I wanna see your wads.

4 minutes ago, ViolentBeetle said:

@Kuleshoff

Interesting. Are you using advanced scripts or boom setup? I can imagine zany ways to make it only using doom functional. Very zany.

Of course it's ZScript.

1 hour ago, ViolentBeetle said:

@Kuleshoff

Interesting. Are you using advanced scripts or boom setup? I can imagine zany ways to make it only using doom functional. Very zany.

Can't you have a linedef activating a crusher faraway to crush a voodoo doll?

27 minutes ago, VGA said:

Can't you have a linedef activating a crusher faraway to crush a voodoo doll?

Sure. The question is how to disable the line

5 hours ago, ViolentBeetle said:

Move the voodoo doll with a Boom scroller :D Or raise a very thin pillar next to the voodoo doll to the ceiling, then the crusher cannot come down.

2 minutes ago, VGA said:

Move the voodoo doll with a Boom scroller :D Or raise a very thin pillar next to the voodoo doll to the ceiling, then the crusher cannot come down.

There's a lot of ways to do it, some are jankier than the others.

11 hours ago, Omniarch said:

Today's map is a rather nasty hell base, vaguely reminiscent of cannonball's work. Naturally, it is a short, combat focused opener to my Hell episode.

I'm digging the architecture, It looks really nice!

I'm working on a 10 map Hexen wad called Ettioc: The Realm of Lands Lost. I decided to make it only 10 maps long because I am too lazy to make 32 maps. The gameplay will also feature NO HUB LEVELS or SWITCH PUZZLES. Switch hunting via portals in hub levels is one of the things I dislike about Hexen.

As of right now I am finishing up MAP04 and then I'll be moving on to MAP05. Here are some screenshots of what it will look like:

Screenshot from MAP01, The Stones of Peculiar Mysticism:

x3A.jpg.048b99ff2cbf8da8e514cacb4d6618fc.jpg

Screenshot from MAP02, The Lost Warden's Tomb:

4jz.jpg.959e2f574bf52ac32f1c2d1aefbb403c.jpg

Screenshot from Map03, Fortress of the Forgotten Beards:

T3Z.jpg.7591da319f46b8862a8bec6140e67d54.jpg

Screenshot of MAP04, Bowels of the Dwarven Halls:

npZ.jpg.1f07cdf0e6d5e87c26cdecccd1059034.jpg

That's about all I got to show for as of right now. I hope to work more on Ettioc during Christmas break. I hope you guys like the screenshots.

20 hours ago, ViolentBeetle said:

Place the crusher at the end of a conveyor belt with a very fast speed. In between the player and the crusher, place two sectors which cover the whole width of the conveyor. The first of these sectors has the ceiling lowered to the floor. The second has the same ceiling height as the main conveyor sector.

When you walk through the laser linedef, have it instantly raise the ceiling of the first sector mentioned above. When you activate the switch which turns off the laser, have it instantly lower the ceiling of the second sector.

To get rid of the laser texture, you could use dummy sectors to have a sector adjoining the one with the laser which has a ceiling height that's e.g. 1024 higher, and tag the laser sector with the same tag use for the conveyor instant ceiling raise. You'll need to make sure the laser sector doesn't touch the surrounding walls (just have it end 1 unit away).

1 hour ago, BoxY said:

That can't be 10 sectors, right?

So the trick is: Doomguy can step on surfaces 24 pixels higher than his current surface. I made 8 sectors with heights reaching from -96 up to 72, each next one 24 pixels higher than the last one. Then I used the ninth sector for the damaging floors, and the 10th sector for walls that all at once lower upon triggering a linedef, revealing a new area and enemies.

So far the smart part. The dumb part was not joining and tagging them all as I went along but to try and do it towards the end... That was the most tedious part of working on this level and I still have a few sectors remaining here and there. Talk about learning a lesson the hard way. I uploaded the work-in-progress to the event page: you can download and have a look at the map :).

Update to The Black Cats of Doom!

Bugfix: MaiowSpeak, when translating the Active sound, didn't distinguish between actively hunting enemies
and running around like mad once all the enemies are dead; this is particularly important as real cats often
run around for no (to us) apparent reason until they get bored and sit down. Solved by adding Sound_Scatty
as a SoundID; this has the same sound but is used when all the demons that the cats know about are dead.

u5QobSd.png

1 hour ago, Martin Howe said:

MaiowSpeak

If that is anything like the MeowTalk app, activating it will instantly silence even the most vocal of cats. :p

1 hour ago, Grazza said:

If that is anything like the MeowTalk app, activating it will instantly silence even the most vocal of cats. :p

LOL :) I resisted the urge to put MeowTalk on my phone, but the urge to poke gentle fun at it in the cats mod was too much to resist :) In fact, it has turned out to be a useful debugging aid for the mod's development.

Besides, once the mod is published, there's no reason why a 'DemonCuss' app couldn't be added to it, except that PlayActiveSound is buried in the C++ source of GZDoom, isn't virtual, and the default monsters do not use an analogue of it for all sounds. It could be done without any feature requests for GZDoom, but subtleties like the above could not.

Occupying the E2M3 slot, today's map is a rather grungy one. It is not yet complete, but the hub area is in a presentable state, so I thought I'd share it.

Spoiler

tVUIdlh.png

0ES3n1A.png

oamav6f.png

8pBS9Rh.png

cF9mzO2.png

s5mp0G7.png

roGR7vF.png

SJ4A6IS.png

It makes for a fairly intense battleground. Normally, the entire area is completely filled with monster corpses when I've cleared it (94 of them, to be precise). Thank goodness for -nomo!

2 hours ago, brinks said:

<shots>

wow that is a name I have not seen round here in a long time :D the maps look incredible!

Oh hey there, Tango! Good to see a familiar face still hanging around these parts. Yeah been about a decade I'd say, give or take a year. How've ya been, old friend?

Here's some more screenshots of my project I'm currently working on because there's more to the project than the previews I posted so far on my thread about this project:

kXzok9d.png

r5D65dJ.pngiEQC8dW.png1SNsgvK.png

vKoFXWq.png

8HiJ5AB.png

BpVIqGA.png

The Black Cats of Doom have an improved 'tablet'; apps use overlays so that more than one app can be hosted, there can be an icon for each app, the players hand appears to press the app toggle or sleep buttons, and these actions use the corresponding ZDoom menu item sounds so that the player gets meaningful feedback.

bsr6nNx.png