IWAD: Doom 2
Map(s): Just Map 01 only
Music: Nightwish - end of all hope
Gameplay: Single play
Difficulty Settings: Yes
Multiplayer Placement: No
Build Time: About a week on and off
Textures: GothicDM set
Requirements: Playing it like the original doom 2. I.E. No jumps, nor crouching, and freelook.

Gothic Exhumed 1

A very short but punchy map with a massive focus on close quarters combat.

Screenshots

Spoiler

image.png.e3ccaf0e1df9bc5ec87399821af09239.pngimage.png.6880c0096bf53ac5e334dc77cf901b9a.pngimage.png.4ea9f262def4e2c800579c42f72aeb14.png

Gothic Da 1.zip

Edited by Black Shuck 97

I like this map and how battles play out, really felt challenging. The visuals are neat too.

However, I think the battle after you press the switch near Super Shotgun could be tweaked, so that enemies can spawn in a little bit later. During my playthrough, I just happen to cheese the encounters because I can't progress further, mostly thanks to the Cacos.

Screenshot_Doom_20201203_060947.png.8bbfecbdd7e511950912dcd6e210f55f.png

2 minutes ago, TheNoob_Gamer said:

I like this map and how battles play out, really felt challenging. The visuals are neat too.

However, I think the battle after you press the switch near Super Shotgun could be tweaked, so that enemies can spawn in a little bit later. During my playthrough, I just happen to cheese the encounters because I can't progress further, mostly thanks to the Cacos.

Screenshot_Doom_20201203_060947.png.8bbfecbdd7e511950912dcd6e210f55f.png

Yeah I was thinking of changing the cacos spawn timer, because I felt someone at some point might run into those guys blocking up the doorway. Though I'm glad you enjoyed the map.

This is a pretty good map, I love the amount of detail and the difficulty was in a good spot.  I died in a few spots but hey thats just all part of the fun, there are also plenty of opportunities to cause infighing which reduces the amount of ammo you need to use.

Overall I give this map a 10/10 I couldn't really find anything that would drive down the score.

Likewise, I'd like to echo the sentiments of the other folks who have posted that the map is well made and has excellent detailing. Where it falls short for me is the ammo starvation compared to the sizable combat encounters. I had to flat out skip the Revenant ambush at the Blue Key because I simply didn't have the resources. I also agree with Noob that some of the main room encounters could be triggered later as I too found myself cheesing them a fair bit with the doors. Finally, the very last fight is just ridiculously unfair and I was only able to get out of there alive by running away/RNG luck. My suggestion would be to either re-balance the amount of enemies or perhaps making that final room a bit larger because it's just too damn small for Cyber fight combined with that amount of angry cow men on all sides. Besides all that, this map is pretty damn cool. Just needs some ironing out to make it perfect. I'd love to see more stuff from you in the future.

6 hours ago, Clippy said:

5 hours ago, Biodegradable said:

Likewise, I'd like to echo the sentiments of the other folks who have posted that the map is well made and has excellent detailing. Where it falls short for me is the ammo starvation compared to the sizable combat encounters. I had to flat out skip the Revenant ambush at the Blue Key because I simply didn't have the resources. I also agree with Noob that some of the main room encounters could be triggered later as I too found myself cheesing them a fair bit with the doors. Finally, the very last fight is just ridiculously unfair and I was only able to get out of there alive by running away/RNG luck. My suggestion would be to either re-balance the amount of enemies or perhaps making that final room a bit larger because it's just too damn small for Cyber fight combined with that amount of angry cow men on all sides. Besides all that, this map is pretty damn cool. Just needs some ironing out to make it perfect. I'd love to see more stuff from you in the future.

Thank you for playing my map and also clearly presenting the issues with ammo. Although I feel this should be somewhat stated. A lot of the maps fights I designed to have some infighting to reduce the need of ammo usage. This especially holds the case with the Cyb fight, otherwise you reach the big fights with a lack of ammo. 

1 hour ago, Black Shuck 97 said:

Thank you for playing my map and also clearly presenting the issues with ammo. Although I feel this should be somewhat stated. A lot of the maps fights I designed to have some infighting to reduce the need of ammo usage. This especially holds the case with the Cyb fight, otherwise you reach the big fights with a lack of ammo. 

there's hardly enough room to fight and breathe while also trying to instigate infighting with everybody

believe me I'm one of the biggest infighting fans of all I'll take my sweet time and set up any infights I can along the way but there's just no room in here

And you got pain elementals and Archviles and things like that in the mix too lol 

Maybe you should have put a disclaimer at the start if you wanted ppl to attempt to play like that haha.  But some of these quarters are just too cramped to try to instigate infighting successfully most of the time and the last room was way too tiny for what was packed into it. As you see there's only one attempt where I actually was able to pull this off because of those damn Archviles and when I did get some infighting going with the Barons and the cyberdemon there was still a whole flock of Barons coming at me 

I don't know buddy that was a bit of frustrating gameplay and then to hear I should have just made them fight more and I would have been fine. Noooo lol 

Your level look beautiful though but with all the challenge already a little more ammo wouldn't have hurt I didn't think. I did try to get the hell nights and the revenants to fight but there's still so many of them coming at me that I had to keep using up all my ammo and I had nothing to get out in that main room. Having to deal with two pain elementals shooting skulls everywhere and an archvile with only a handful of rockets ain't no fun and those are not the type of monsters that you want at an infight party. 

Anyway that's just my thoughts anyway keep on mapping and have fun 🤠

Edited by Clippy : Map looks great just went a little off the rails

Gothic Da 1

Ultra-Violence || GZDoom || Vanilla_Ice

*Deaths: 0

*Saves: none

Screenshot-Doom-20201203-085537.png

Screenshot-Doom-20201203-085807.png

Screenshot-Doom-20201203-085859.png

Screenshot-Doom-20201203-090212.png

Screenshot-Doom-20201203-091239.png

Screenshot-Doom-20201203-091559.png

Screenshot-Doom-20201203-091758.png

A really interesting and intense map, since, in the visual aspect, this map really very good elements of texture and really good decoration, really fascinating, I liked each of these details that you have placed on the map, in addition to the structure and architecture used are very good, because it gives more variety to the site, and at the same time, it gives much more pleasure to see the other rooms that the map has with the textures used in the walls and ornaments.

Now with the difficulty, I really must say that if it becomes brutal in certain areas, and in the general aspect it is even more so due to the fact that there are shortages of ammunition for the weapons that are the shotgun, the chaingun, and the gun cell, although with this last weapon you have more ammunition in the final room, but for the others if there is a lack of really ugly ammunition, another thing that should be noted is that there are almost no Hitscanners on this map, everything is practically resistant enemies and with enough health, so, it was more than expected that the fighting would be somewhat hard from beginning to end, and the final area with the Cyberdemon was simply to be expected, since, the area was very small, and well, The fact that only enemies like Barons of Hell and Archviles appeared, already made me think that that area was made to be an imminent torture for the Marine, fortunately for me, that was not the case, at least the real violence was here, and not in the area where the key was e blue that brought the Revenants in conjunction with the Hell Knights and Barons of Hell, poor Mancubus who was killed by 2 Hell Knights. Anyway, the map was really entertaining, with a great challenge and challenge on top, but in the end it was a very enjoyable map mate, very good job here.

I liked the map a lot overall.  As others have said, it looks very nice.  I really love your detailing and texture use.  My only two criticisms in terms of visuals:  1) Too much symmetry.  A little can look nice, especially with the texture set you're using, but the fact that you had so many symmetrical areas (visually and with encounters) made the gameplay too predictable in places.  2)  I think the ceiling in the central hub should be higher to give the map a larger sense of scope.  If you change when the cacos get released like others suggested, this will give them more room to move around, too.

I liked the gameplay.  The encounters were pretty fun.  Ammo was tight but I never actually ran out, although with some encounters I only had one weapon as an option.  Health was pretty fair, too, I felt like there was always somewhere nearby I could swing back to if I needed some more.

I decided not to complete the last fight since I wasn't enjoying it.  Maybe it was a sign I was playing at too high of a difficulty for me (UV), but until that fight I was doing fine.  I also couldn't figure out how to get the invulnerability, so that was obviously making the fight harder for me.  Close quarters fights like that are not my thing in general, though, so my opinion here is probably of limited use.  Nice map!

2 hours ago, Salmon said:

I liked the map a lot overall.  As others have said, it looks very nice.  I really love your detailing and texture use.  My only two criticisms in terms of visuals:  1) Too much symmetry.  A little can look nice, especially with the texture set you're using, but the fact that you had so many symmetrical areas (visually and with encounters) made the gameplay too predictable in places.  2)  I think the ceiling in the central hub should be higher to give the map a larger sense of scope.  If you change when the cacos get released like others suggested, this will give them more room to move around, too.

I liked the gameplay.  The encounters were pretty fun.  Ammo was tight but I never actually ran out, although with some encounters I only had one weapon as an option.  Health was pretty fair, too, I felt like there was always somewhere nearby I could swing back to if I needed some more.

I decided not to complete the last fight since I wasn't enjoying it.  Maybe it was a sign I was playing at too high of a difficulty for me (UV), but until that fight I was doing fine.  I also couldn't figure out how to get the invulnerability, so that was obviously making the fight harder for me.  Close quarters fights like that are not my thing in general, though, so my opinion here is probably of limited use.  Nice map!

Yeah the final fight is more bearable on hmp than it is on UV. The symmetrical look is something I’ll be trying to avoid in Gothic Da 2, given the setting I will be doing for the sequel. But happy you enjoyed the map.

5 hours ago, ElPadrecitoCholo said:

Gothic Da 1

Ultra-Violence || GZDoom || Vanilla_Ice

*Deaths: 0

*Saves: none

Screenshot-Doom-20201203-085537.png

Screenshot-Doom-20201203-085807.png

Screenshot-Doom-20201203-085859.png

Screenshot-Doom-20201203-090212.png

Screenshot-Doom-20201203-091239.png

Screenshot-Doom-20201203-091559.png

Screenshot-Doom-20201203-091758.png

A really interesting and intense map, since, in the visual aspect, this map really very good elements of texture and really good decoration, really fascinating, I liked each of these details that you have placed on the map, in addition to the structure and architecture used are very good, because it gives more variety to the site, and at the same time, it gives much more pleasure to see the other rooms that the map has with the textures used in the walls and ornaments.

Now with the difficulty, I really must say that if it becomes brutal in certain areas, and in the general aspect it is even more so due to the fact that there are shortages of ammunition for the weapons that are the shotgun, the chaingun, and the gun cell, although with this last weapon you have more ammunition in the final room, but for the others if there is a lack of really ugly ammunition, another thing that should be noted is that there are almost no Hitscanners on this map, everything is practically resistant enemies and with enough health, so, it was more than expected that the fighting would be somewhat hard from beginning to end, and the final area with the Cyberdemon was simply to be expected, since, the area was very small, and well, The fact that only enemies like Barons of Hell and Archviles appeared, already made me think that that area was made to be an imminent torture for the Marine, fortunately for me, that was not the case, at least the real violence was here, and not in the area where the key was e blue that brought the Revenants in conjunction with the Hell Knights and Barons of Hell, poor Mancubus who was killed by 2 Hell Knights. Anyway, the map was really entertaining, with a great challenge and challenge on top, but in the end it was a very enjoyable map mate, very good job here.

Very glad to hear you had a pleasant experience playing my map. I didn’t really have an idea to use much hit scan enemies within this map. However I plan to bring the cavalary to its sequel. 

1 hour ago, Black Shuck 97 said:

Very glad to hear you had a pleasant experience playing my map. I didn’t really have an idea to use much hit scan enemies within this map. However I plan to bring the cavalary to its sequel. 

Oh my, it seems like the second part can now work in the reverse of what this wad offered, with few resistant enemies, and only Histcanners to deal in the final combat with a Spider MasterMind to top it off, haha

15 minutes ago, ElPadrecitoCholo said:

Oh my, it seems like the second part can now work in the reverse of what this wad offered, with few resistant enemies, and only Histcanners to deal in the final combat with a Spider MasterMind to top it off, haha

I could go that route haha it would be an interesting dynamic plus it would actually work with my theme I’ve decided. But most likely it’s going to be a more open map, though I haven’t entirely decided on which approach to go with as of now. I can only promise two things, it’ll be speedy and have hit scan enemies.