Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Soon2bGlue

Doom Ports as first Doom experience?

Who here first experienced doom via one of the many ports? 

I first got Doom along with my Playstation waaaay back in the day! I had no clue what it was and only got it along with my console because it was listed as containing two games (Doom 1&2) I absolutely loved it and still do to this day. When I started playing more faithful ports on xbox it took me a long time to get used to the completely different music! I love Doom on pc but the Playstation Doom will always have a special part in my heart,  to the point that I almost consider it a completely different,  unique game.  The soundscape creates a completely different atmosphere and I love revisiting it:-)

What are other people's experiences? 

3 minutes ago, Soon2bGlue said:

I first got Doom along with my Playstation waaaay back in the day! I had no clue what it was and only got it along with my console because it was listed as containing two games (Doom 1&2) I absolutely loved it and still do to this day. When I started playing more faithful ports on xbox it took me a long time to get used to the completely different music! I love Doom on pc but the Playstation Doom will always have a special part in my heart,  to the point that I almost consider it a completely different,  unique game.  The soundscape creates a completely different atmosphere and I love revisiting it:-)

I can't speak of a first experience since I started on the PC. But, I guess I could add my 2 cents about it. First time I played Doom on a console was with an N64. I just had the cartridge and no box. So I had expected a direct port. But, oh god was I wrong.

Doom 64 blew my little mind at the time. It still does to some extend today. I absolutely the feel of this game. A very deliberate ambiance. The level design is especially great. Only thing I was never impressed with it is the enemy placements. I don't know... the way the encounters are setup feels kind of lame compared to Doom 2. 

I don't have that cartridge anymore unfortunately. 

Now I own it on Switch. :) I get to play it again on a different console.

I first played Doom on the Commodore Amiga, on the Adoom source port. On the minimally modded hardware, it was unplayable due to low fps counts, but I still enjoyed it, because it's Doom!

It's testimate to how good the game is that it's brilliance shines through even when experienced via compromised, limited ports!! Lol

22 minutes ago, Thermal Lance said:

I can't speak of a first experience since I started on the PC. But, I guess I could add my 2 cents about it. First time I played Doom on a console was with an N64. I just had the cartridge and no box. So I had expected a direct port. But, oh god was I wrong.

Doom 64 blew my little mind at the time. It still does to some extend today. I absolutely the feel of this game. A very deliberate ambiance. The level design is especially great. Only thing I was never impressed with it is the enemy placements. I don't know... the way the encounters are setup feels kind of lame compared to Doom 2. 

I don't have that cartridge anymore unfortunately. 

Now I own it on Switch. :) I get to play it again on a different console.

I love Doom 64, it feels like a direct sequel to psx doom with how it sounds :-)

Not counting a brief exposure to the Shareware version in school (of all places), SNES was #1, PSX was #2. PC only became a thing when I actually had a computer some ten years after Doom came out.

Wanted Doom 64, but never had an N64, or I surely would've.

I had the luxury of experiencing shareware Doom on a PC at a very early age - the first time I experienced the whole game was with the SNES port though.

1 minute ago, vyruss said:

I had the luxury of experiencing shareware Doom on a PC at a very early age - the first time I experienced the whole game was with the SNES port though.

You are either a coincidence, or a ghost from the past, as I certainly knew someone who had that nickname.

Which one would it be?

7 minutes ago, Dark Pulse said:

You are either a coincidence, or a ghost from the past, as I certainly knew someone who had that nickname.

Which one would it be?

No friggin' way.  I was about to ask you the same thing.

Just now, vyruss said:

No friggin' way.  I was about to ask you the same thing.

Well then!

Another Festivus MIRACLE!

Holler at me if you'd like. I'll throw you a Discord or Skype or something.

7 minutes ago, Dark Pulse said:

Well then!

Another Festivus MIRACLE!

Holler at me if you'd like. I'll throw you a Discord or Skype or something.

Sent you a PM.

2 hours ago, Commodore Forever! said:

I first played Doom on the Commodore Amiga, on the Adoom source port. On the minimally modded hardware, it was unplayable due to low fps counts, but I still enjoyed it, because it's Doom!

2 hours ago, Soon2bGlue said:

It's testimate to how good the game is that it's brilliance shines through even when experienced via compromised, limited ports!! Lol

ADoom was not a very limited port by any means for the Amiga. If anything, it was rather feature rich for the time.

The thing was (and is) that Doom's graphics just didn't match well with the unusual Amiga hardware (Chunky 2 planar) and required CPU's that required an accelerator to fully enjoy (68040 and above).

With the Vampire V4 Standalone though, ADoom should fly and at rather high resolutions (720p, perhaps?) also.

3 hours ago, Soon2bGlue said:

first got Doom along with my Playstation waaaay back in the day! I had no clue what it was and only got it along with my console because it was listed as containing two games (Doom 1&2) I absolutely loved it and still do to this day. When I started playing more faithful ports on xbox it took me a long time to get used to the completely different music!

Same for me and some friends. We were so used to Doom on PlayStation and then Doom 64 that it took us a while to get used to PC Doom. It almost seemed comical at times, what with the fast, arcade-like music. I remember I burst out laughing when playing E1M1 on PC for the first time. I just assumed PC Doom would be the same as on PlayStation except with a higher resolution and smoother framerate but it's a completely different vibe.

Ironically, the first time I ever played the original Doom games was when Doom 3: BFG Edition was released on Xbox 360 back in 2012. I knew about the game for years but never had access to it. I was born in 1998, so I missed a lot of the early days of the Doom community, but I absolutely love researching and exploring all of the historical things that have been created. I wish I was more involved back then, but I am happy to be a part of the community now. 

12 hours ago, Redneckerz said:

ADoom was not a very limited port by any means for the Amiga. If anything, it was rather feature rich for the time.

The thing was (and is) that Doom's graphics just didn't match well with the unusual Amiga hardware (Chunky 2 planar) and required CPU's that required an accelerator to fully enjoy (68040 and above).

With the Vampire V4 Standalone though, ADoom should fly and at rather high resolutions (720p, perhaps?) also.

I've never played an amiga so have no clue how the machine ran. You've peaked my interest, was it superior to playstation technically if you got additional CPUs?

11 hours ago, Boaby Kenobi said:

Same for me and some friends. We were so used to Doom on PlayStation and then Doom 64 that it took us a while to get used to PC Doom. It almost seemed comical at times, what with the fast, arcade-like music. I remember I burst out laughing when playing E1M1 on PC for the first time. I just assumed PC Doom would be the same as on PlayStation except with a higher resolution and smoother framerate but it's a completely different vibe.

All this reminiscing has made me download Playstation Doom TC lol

5 hours ago, LateNightPerson said:

My first experience was emulating the SNES port. Good times.

When emulating ports on pc, does the port still suffer slowdown and other issues that were caused by the limitations of the original hardware?

My list if I remember correctly:

1 - Doom95 on PC and then on PDA

2 - Risen3d on laptop

3 - PSP Legacy on PSP

4 - Doom v1.9 in Dosbox

5 - Gzdoom 1.8

6 - Zdoom 2.8.1

28 minutes ago, Soon2bGlue said:

When emulating ports on pc, does the port still suffer slowdown and other issues that were caused by the limitations of the original hardware?

Yes.

On 12/2/2020 at 3:17 PM, Redneckerz said:

Yeah. It is actually kind of like something between crispy and chocolate doom, since it still is basically vanilla, with some classic bugs, no mouselook and jumping, etc, but supports dehacked, and multiple resolutions, and I believe it also has raised limits. I also find it amazing how they pulled off midi and sound effects with only the Paula chip. Never underestimate the Amiga community.

On 12/2/2020 at 11:35 AM, Soon2bGlue said:

Well, the first port I played was the super NES port with an emulator in a classic xbox. As I was born in 2004 and  tried it when I was six years old, I really believed it was the only doom game that existed, until I played split-screen in the xbox 360. I actually loved that port, although it's frame rate is horrible (in the SNES,when I played it emulated it was OK) and the graphic quality sucked. I believe that the best feature of that version is the OST. I then tried the pc version with GZDOOM, then Prboom-plus, and today I play and record demos with crispy doom.

Edited by :[Lol 6]:

I read ports and my brain went straight to source ports lol. This makes more sense.

As someone who played a lot of emulated SNES games as a kid, the first time I have ever played Doom must have been the SNES port of the game. I have a faint memory of playing the game on ZSNES back when it was still up-to-date, but this might be a false memory conjured up from the fact I know I have played just about every SNES game under sun back then, so there's a high probability Doom was one of them. But it's not 100%

I do know I have played SNES Doom a little bit at some point, I just can't say with absolute certainty it was the first version of Doom I have ever played.

1.Vanilla Doom 1.666

2.Doom95

3.Doom Legacy

4.Doomsday/GZDoom

I also have many console ports of Doom (i.e Snes, PS1, 3DO etc), but I can't remember when I first played  them.

I just remembered playing the classic doom ports that came with doom3 Bfg edition on x-box and being really bugged my the fact that the sky remains the phobos sky in all episodes!! How did that get through testing??

I'd been playing psx doom since 96 and that had amazing sky boxes!! I remember the one which was litrally a raging inferno- so awesome 

1 minute ago, Soon2bGlue said:

the fact that the sky remains the phobos sky in all episodes!!

Really? Well, I've heard that the bfg edition is not very good, but oh well, its doom.