Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Matias

Looking for a new gaming mouse

As the title says i'm looking for a new mouse for gaming. I currently have Steelseries Rival 110 but really want to get more ergonomic right handed mouse. My grip style is very much palm and my hand naturally sits in a way that seems it would be benefitial to have more ergonomic right handed mouse.

Here is the things i want:

-Right handed

-High build quality and materials

-onboard memory

-wired

-specs that are as good or better than the rival 110

Things i don't care about:

-Rgb (only rgb mode i like is off)

-Latest and the greatest specs, as long as it's as good or better than the rival 110

-Massive customizability

-Ultra lightweight (rival 110 is 90grams so something around that range is light enough for me)

Things i absolutely don't want:

-ambidextrous (obviously)

-billion buttons

-Wireless

-Holes (they just look gross, make cleaning more involved and some people say they are uncomfortable)

I was looking at the Razer Basilisk v2 but that thing is really expensive so i want to hear other peoples recommendations and thoughts before i buy anything. I'm looking to buy in a month or two just in case there are any interesting new ones coming out. I don't follow the gaming peripheral market so i don't know if these things even get announced before hand

On 12/4/2020 at 7:22 AM, Matias said:

Here is the things i want:

-High build quality and materials

This does not exist. The expensive mice still use the same garbage springs/switches as the cheap mice

I need a better mouse too. All I need is right handed, wired, with standard buttons and two side buttons. That's it. But there are so many mice it's overwhelming. What's ironic is the mouse I got for free with my PC is actually rare now and really expensive last I checked. It's lasted me 6 years.

Logitech G203 or Steelseries 310 are affordable (in the $30 range) and reasonable quality, just dont expect the buttons to last more than 2 years

My G203 died just short of two years with a broken switch (clicks stopped registering), hard to recommend unless its on sale

I've had a Cougar Revenger ST (96 g) for a little over a year now and still like it pretty well. Before that I used a Cougar 550m- which I also liked, but found slightly less comfortable.

Build quality on both are decent, but they still feel substantially more cheap and plastic-y than most anything I've seen from Razer.

I've had my Logitech G500 for quite some time. Though I might opt for something else when the time comes to replace it.

This is just my opinion based on my experience with gaming mice. I am not discrediting any of the suggestions so far, but I thought I’d share my experience.. 

I ran into this same issue almost exactly. Was looking for practically the same feature in a mouse as you, but in my experience I have found that I prefer non gaming mice for gaming.

The Corsair gaming specific mouse I own has given me nothing but trouble, and they’re supposed to be a reputable brand. I know not everyone will share this experience or opinion, but I find these types of mice to be almost too complicated for any practical use. I have big hands and no matter what I did, somehow I’d change the DPI when I didn’t want to, because my hand was accidentally touching the switches. To make matters worse, the onboard memory seems to reset any time I updated the firmware. It came as a wireless mouse you can recharge with USB, but the wireless dongle has stopped working within a year of owning the mouse, and the usb cord for charging absolutely sucks as a wired mouse option, because the wire is too short and too brittle. 

So eventually, I got tired of troubleshooting the mouse and decided to go back to the tried and true 3 button Belkin mouse that I’ve used for a long time now. It just works. I just have to change the mouse settings in most of my games more often now when I initially start them for the first time. 

So, if all else fails after going for some of the suggestions on this thread, I’d suggest looking into mice that aren’t marketed as gaming mice. They don’t always have the more advanced features, but they tend to work for my oversized hands better than the designs of gaming mice. Again, this is just my opinion based on my experience. Different people have different experiences, which lead to different conclusions. 

13 hours ago, Vorpal said:

This does not exist. The expensive mice still use the same garbage springs/switches as the cheap mice

I have to disagree with this one.

10 hours ago, Vorpal said:

Logitech G203 or Steelseries 310 are affordable (in the $30 range) and reasonable quality, just dont expect the buttons to last more than 2 years

i was actually looking at the Steelseries rival 310 earlier but it's sold out on all the local online retailers here and none of them are expecting to restock. G203 is not the right kind of shape i'm looking for. Good suggestions tho

@Gerolf This is exactly what i'm asking for, experiences by other people. You also point out the reason why i don't want to deal with wireless mouse. It's just unpractical for my use and adds an unnecessary point of failure. My hands are small so i don't have the same issues as you with hitting the dpi switch by accident etc. but also looking at the non gaming mice is good suggestion

Another thing to consider is firmware, my ranking would be

1. Steelseries Engine 3 (very intuitive, exactly the detailed control that I want)

2. Logitech Gaming Software (disorganized and unintuitive, but has a lot of the detailed control that I want)

147. Razer Software (ugly, horrible to use, lacks control that I want, behaves like spyware)

Whatever you do, I'd highly recommend avoiding Razer completely, the shortest lifespan mice and worst software. A $5 mouse from the grocery store would be superior

Finding a good mouse is hard especially when you're a bit particular about what you want in it. For example I want a five button mouse (with the forward/backward buttons on the thumb) and a tilt wheel (so you can scroll up and down, but also left and right with the wheel) and, preferably, a freewheel toggle (so you can scroll up or down fast). Last time I had to replace my mouse, since the previous model I used to use was no longer in production, I had to search high and low to find a replacement model with these characteristics. Apparently my choice was reduced to either Logitech (I ended up taking the G502 Hero that was being discounted on some site) or other brands but with a ton of extra shit I don't care for and a price tag above $200.

Yeah, and another issue I keep running into is that planned obsolescence is real for mice. The damn wheel just keeps breaking first in whatever I buy... expensive or cheap.

So whatever happens I change them almost yearly, because the damn things don't want to last. I currently have some ASUS mice (forgot the exact model name), and I can already feel the wheel is on its way out 👍.

My Logitech G102 started double-clicking around 6 months after purchase, so yeah, never touching a brand mouse again. I'm better off sticking to nonames - at least I won't have any buyer's remorse when those start to screw up.

That said, doing the same for keyboards seems like a no-go.

It's not a gaming mouse, but I've had my Logitech M510 for a few years now. For its price, I really got my money's worth out of it.

1 hour ago, Vic Vos said:

That said, doing the same for keyboards seems like a no-go.

Thankfully keyboards last a lot longer still. My current keyboard is almost seven years old at this point, and while it got a bit dusty, the keys still feel good, with minimal wear.

@Vorpal That is a very good point, i completely ignored that for some reason. I knew razer software was bad but what i found with a quick google search is a complete deal breaker for me. And yes indeed the steelseries software is very nice, it's a shame they don't really have any interesting mice that are currently available. Maybe the Rival 600

It sure is @Gez , how is the g502 hero? That one seems to be pretty popular.

18 minutes ago, Matias said:

how is the g502 hero? That one seems to be pretty popular.

I've got no reason to complain so far, it's comfy (at least to my hand, YMMV) and it works. It does have a few things you said you don't like, though, so it may not be the mouse for you. There's an RGB light on it, and there's four extra buttons in addition to those I mentioned (they seem to be about adjusting sensitivity on the fly, a function I do not use).

@Gez i don't mean rgb as a something i really really don't want since you can just turn it off, it's just not a selling point for me. Buttons is bigger issue tho, i don't mind couple side buttons but that's it. I really need to look at how they are laid out to see if it's something i might compromise on. I will keep that specific logitech model in my radar since it looks to be very similiar shape to the razer one i was looking at earlier

On 12/7/2020 at 8:09 AM, seed said:

Yeah, and another issue I keep running into is that planned obsolescence is real for mice. The damn wheel just keeps breaking first in whatever I buy... expensive or cheap.

So whatever happens I change them almost yearly, because the damn things don't want to last. I currently have some ASUS mice (forgot the exact model name), and I can already feel the wheel is on its way out 👍.

I've been worrying about this exact thing. When I play Doom, I move forward by holding down the mouse wheel and for a while it seemed to be having difficulty registering. It hasn't caused problems lately, and I hope it lasts me a while longer.

I have an XG gaming mouse. It's lasted me several years now and is a definite improvement over my last mouse (a cheap logitec piece of crap). I bought it at the Source (Canadian electronics store) one day and I've never seen XG as a brand advertised or used anywhere since then. It's been a good mouse for me, and aside from the mouse wheel acting up it hasn't given me any trouble.