Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
everennui

what are you working on? I wanna see your wads.

3 hours ago, Nootrac4571 said:

Trying to make a simple techbase. Failed utterly.

Sooooo.....Where's the failure?_?

I don't see it.

I found the last couple of maps I made to be rather too blocky and orthogonal, so I decided to try and make something a little more pleasant. Sadly, even though I'm quite pleased with the result from an aesthetic perspective, the gameplay is not really what I am looking for, so I don't think I'll include it in my megawad. Still, its a decent enough E1-style techbase so I thought I'd share a few screenies:

Spoiler

Oq7Dx4p.png

M4nhzHO.png

krz3OaF.png

EIV1ykQ.png

Nq0xMHO.png

DGKcwbb.png

fYSVRmw.png

qATPSJe.png

TNSfHbv.png

ENWySxB.png

vwv4lDI.png

qr6lyCO.png

ZNhx8bI.png

dASIYBo.png

0Fq8bkU.png

I thought I'd try and build something as a PK3.

I'm doing a DIHF Episode 1 replacement, and I'm REALLY gonna try to keep the levels small... I also wanted to use custom monsters without having a mess of sprite frames etc. all mixed together in a .WAD file.

Haven't really thought of a decent name yet - it's currently called 'Departure', but that's a bit pony...  

Anyway - here are some screenshots from E1M1. Not finished, but reasonably happy with it so far:

Spoiler

Starting area:

3.png?raw=true

Entry hallway:

4.png?raw=true

5.png?raw=true

Control room:

2.png?raw=true

6.png?raw=true

Final area (not finished, note cyberimp):

1.png?raw=true

7.png?raw=true

I have never seen a map try to create a sector shadow for the tree sprite. That is interesting to me, especially if the idea is consistent across most static sprites in the map.

4 minutes ago, Scuba Steve said:

I have never seen a map try to create a sector shadow for the tree sprite. That is interesting to me, especially if the idea is consistent across most static sprites in the map.

Wouldn't it look super weird when the tree faces you?

I tried this before in another map of mine (Belial's Ruin), mostly for monoliths. It only really works if you do it on a few discrete tree sprites - gets unwealdy otherwise. I do like my shadows though... 

Screenshot_Doom_20200707_210642.png?raw=

I think there's a degree of 'suspension of belief' and, so long as every static object has a shadow... your brain will just accept it.

7 minutes ago, Novaseer said:

Wouldn't it look super weird when the tree faces you?

Seems OK:

Spoiler

11.png?raw=true

12.png?raw=true

13.png?raw=true

15.png?raw=true

It's just a WiP, so it may all change though

17 minutes ago, Scuba Steve said:

I think it would be less jarring if the shadow was narrower and had more definition so it and looked more like a jagged tree.

I agree the shape could be adjusted. It would certainly be fine for a circular sprite (one of the pillar sprites, say) but if the shadow is adjusted to match the tree outline, that may only work from one view angle. The shadow is defined as sectors, which of course don't move if the player moves, but the sprite is always at the same orientation WRT the player. That could mean that the exact shadow made from the sectors would only match the tree sprite from a certain angle.

But as I said, this map is an early WiP and I'm just testing out ideas. Things may change...

On 12/9/2020 at 7:25 PM, Nootrac4571 said:

Trying to make a simple techbase. Failed utterly.

bzzzzz.png.d80596e301d34d3f5ee2d616e97caee5.png

where i can get the ray textures? Im needing some

5 hours ago, Omniarch said:

I found the last couple of maps I made to be rather too blocky and orthogonal, so I decided to try and make something a little more pleasant. Sadly, even though I'm quite pleased with the result from an aesthetic perspective, the gameplay is not really what I am looking for, so I don't think I'll include it in my megawad. Still, its a decent enough E1-style techbase so I thought I'd share a few screenies:

Oq7Dx4p.png

That line view is incredibly satisfying to look at.

2 hours ago, OrbitalSpaceGarbage said:

That line view is incredibly satisfying to look at.

Thanks! I was trying my hand at a more organic, non-orthogonal layout. Unfortunately the gameplay is so-so at best, though admittedly somewhat more engaging than your average E1 techbase. My next map will incorporate lessons learned from this map and combine it with the high-intensity gameplay of its predecessors. I'm aiming for a Base Ganymede or Return to Hadron style experience with my megawad, though with a slightly greater emphasis on visual storytelling.

On 12/11/2020 at 7:19 PM, URROVA said:

where i can get the ray textures? Im needing some

Here they are: (not really worth making a new post in the textures/sprites threads)

The red lightning is a modified and recoloured mashup of the Arc of Death from Hexen.

lazors.png

"Quartzite Quarrel"

A 1024 Eternity map with a lot of dense fights and moving floors. Every time I think I'm finished with it I end up tweaking something that ends up with me re-working the whole map.

quarrel.png.f635afd9f74d1325e082857242596bcd.png

So, it's been a while.

Plutonia 2/PRCP in PSX Doom is FINALLY FINISHED, due to release December 21st. Yes, this still uses the old 2.13 version, so playing in GZDoom 1.8 to 2.2.0 is recommended. Map 33 Chocolate is included in Map 26, and both Map 30's have been merged into 1 big map. Here's a few more screenshots of the project:

The credits:

EpTcxpOXMAEAXQP?format=png&name=small

Map 22: Suicide Mission

Eowv4PPXEAERjXE?format=png&name=small

Map 56: Poison Ivy

EpTcxpPXUAAuZ99?format=png&name=small

And Map 57: Planned Overload.

EorQ_1VW8AET0LW?format=png&name=small

I've been working on a very cheesy, Sandy-inspired map that kinda looks like a 90s arcade.  It's goofy but I'm having fun with it.  Currently aiming to post it Friday.

T4gzRPh.png

CbHIXtl.png

Ah0U3dv.png

41 minutes ago, VGA said:

@IRod54

Interesting layout.

Which source port has this funky looking map?

GzDoom, I simply just changed the automap colors