Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
beezee88

How old is E2M7?

Just how far back does the history of 'The Spawning Vats' go? In all the Betas and Alphas I have seen, there is always a level which looks suspiciously like E2M7. So is it the first Doom level ever made?

P.S. I wonder why they removed some of the interesting touchs from that level, like the cards on the table in one of the Alphas, and the 8-sided chair sprites.

I thought that the marines standing around playing cards was a neat feature..
it would have been a cool start to have a small fight in the room and your fellow marines get killed.
oh well.
I have no idea about spawing vats though.

The Spawning Vats rules. You can tell it has been around for a while because of how complex the damn thing is. I think the only level with more rooms is Map10. :P Anyway, yeah I remember seeing it in the alpha when I played, along with parts from E2M2, so I'm guessing it was one of the first in development. Don't know for sure though.

beezee88 said:

P.S. I wonder why they removed some of the interesting touchs from that level, like the cards on the table in one of the Alphas, and the 8-sided chair sprites.

Heh...their chair technology was superior to Duke Nukem's 1-sided chair sprites. The first game to ever acurately depict office chairs has to be Half-Life. :P

Yeah we really need a new advancement in virtual chair technology.
I understand why the marines were removed from that scene (I think), but the card table graphics should have stayed.

I don't understand why they scrapped the chairs. They could've made the environments even more believable and "space station" like just by including a few of these chair sprites in front of some computer consoles.

Tom Hall did all of Episode 1 except for E1M8, which is why it feels so different from the rest of Doom. I like the way it turned out, myself . . .

No. That's John Romero. Tom did E1M4 (which Romero changed a bit and retextured somewhat) and I think he also started E1M8 (which Sandy Petersen finished.)