Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Pezl

What is your favorite monster & gun?

3 hours ago, pcorf said:

Arch Vile and Double Barreled Super Combat Shotgun.

This. Or the SSG and the Revenant. Revenants are glass cannons. And they are so crunchy!

4 hours ago, VGA said:

This. Or the SSG and the Revenant. Revenants are glass cannons. And they are so crunchy!

Pain elementals are an awesome challenge as well. You must kill them fast before killing the cacodemons.

2 hours ago, pcorf said:

Pain elementals are an awesome challenge as well. You must kill them fast before killing the cacodemons.

PE encounters are good when using the Chaingun on them and shouting "DDDIIIIEEEEEEEE!!!!" as the rest of the enemies try to get a bite out of you. But you MUST kill the PE before running behind the closest door!

5 minutes ago, Percy T said:

nothing is more satisfying than mowing down an entire hoard of zombiemen down with the SSG.

If there is one shotgunner among them then it's even better because you get ammo. If it's a bunch of zombiemen then it's better to mow them down with the Chaingun and then get their ammo.

By the way, players of the classic console Doom ports and Doom 64 understand the value of the Chaingun. Playing with a gamepad, dark and low resolution and with low framerate makes the Chaingun a LOT more practical. For example, when anticipating a trap in PSX Doom, I usually switch to the Chaingun or the PlasmaGun and get ready to unload some serious ordnance downrange. The SSG can get you screwed with one or two misses.

57 minutes ago, VGA said:

If there is one shotgunner among them then it's even better because you get ammo. If it's a bunch of zombiemen then it's better to mow them down with the Chaingun and then get their ammo.

By the way, players of the classic console Doom ports and Doom 64 understand the value of the Chaingun. Playing with a gamepad, dark and low resolution and with low framerate makes the Chaingun a LOT more practical. For example, when anticipating a trap in PSX Doom, I usually switch to the Chaingun or the PlasmaGun and get ready to unload some serious ordnance downrange. The SSG can get you screwed with one or two misses.

I was talking about both the zombiemen and shotgunners, I classify them the same.

On 11/17/2020 at 10:41 PM, TheMagicMushroomMan said:

I enjoy pointing a large flamethrower up the Mancubus' ass.

20201117_234314.png

Same. 

Actually, I like the SSG and mancubus most. There's just something about making it ride my boomstick. 

6 minutes ago, Nootrac4571 said:

Surely nothing can beat the simple, perfect joy of killing a Demon at point blank range with a single super shotgun blast.

Splattering an imp into chunky salsa from a single berserk punch is the purest form of bliss that the game can offer us.

Plasmarifle for it's cool looks and high output of damage, for monster, I'll cheat and say all the zombies, they infight easily, and though they're fragile, they're also sometimes very dangerous. I love TNT's Stronghold (Map11) because it's packed so densely with zombies, it's so incredibly fun.

For Doom 64, they nerfed the Plasmarifle in favor of making the new Unmaker more relevant, so it's not as fun there, however they boosted the Chaingun, making it a little faster, which with its new style, animation, and sound, makes it a much more satisfying weapon to use. For the monsters here, I'll say the Pain Elemental, because they did such a fantastic job on his makeover.

Weapon - Shotgun. Ive grown to appreciate the SSG way more in its effectiveness (and feels more useful in Doom II) but in the first Doom, its my go to weapon. Ive had runs in the past where I’ve almost exclusively used the shotgun (with berserk pinkies) and not even used plasma or rockets (cept for the end episode ‘bosses’). Lining up to take out multiple hit scanners or picking off mid tier demons just felt fun and let me enjoy Dooms fun movement mechanics all the more.

Demon - Cacodemon. As a kid I liked how it looks and sounds. It was by far my favourite demon to fight. Nice bright red and blue (conpared with many other enemies that are duller by comparison). 

Demon: Archvile - The archie has all you could ever want in a Doom enemy. It has a threatening but consistently avoidable attack, unique ability that forces you to make decisions on priority in combat, perfect balance of health to make it no pushover but also not a slog like the Baron, and excellent sound and visual design.

Weapon: Plasma Rifle - The most versatile weapon, the "get out of jail free" card of any situation. The BFG may be more efficient for large crowds, but the firing delay can lead you into trouble, and it's a waste on smaller groups of enemies. Plasma rifle also gets points for its unique design, and I'm a fan of it's sounds, although I can understand why it annoys some players.

In the base games? Favorite monster is the Cacodemon and favorite gun is a tie between the super shotgun and the plasma rifle. I love the Cacodemon's design. Dunno why, but it's always appealed to me. Shotguns tend to be my favorite weapon in any shooter since I favor an aggressive style and it's just so satisfying to rush an enemy and blast the hell out of them with buckshot, and the SSG is the epitome of that. But the sci-fi cool factor and the versatility of the plasma rifle make me love that one too.

I've been playing Project Brutality a lot lately, though, and my position is somewhat shifted in that because of all the additional enemy and weapon variants. With that mod, my favorite monster is the Flesh Wizard (Archvile variant that spawns at high levels), and my favorite gun is the Auto-Cannon (Chaingun upgrade). The Flesh Wizard is terrifyingly badass and challenging to fight because it can teleport, and it frequently drops Time Stop spheres which can lead to some awesome combat moments. And the Auto-Cannon has such great stopping power without sacrificing rate of fire too badly that it's my bread-and-butter weapon in high-level play. If I don't need to kill a powerful enemy in a hurry or clear an entire room in an instant, it's usually what I roll with.

On 12/10/2020 at 1:55 PM, VGA said:

The PSX Chaingun is the best video game flashlight.

Oh and I guess I should answer the thread question. The SSG feels too classic to not go with, and it rewards getting close to enemies. The revenant changes up things with the homing projectile, which really spices up the combat.

gun: shotgun. something about it makes it kinda satisfying to use

demon: i guess cacodemon. they're the best design i can think of and they're not bad in gameplay

Monster:  Archvile with the Arachnotron very closely behind

Weapon: Plasma Rifle, strangely enough I don't use it much though.  It's always felt like a very situational weapon to me, best used when getting swarmed or cornered by mid/heavy tier enemies where I need a heavy fire rate to survive due to the lack of space where I'd normally use the BFG/Rocket Launcher/SSG.  Because of this, I associate the Plasma Rifle with very tense moments where I'm shocked I made it through in one piece.

My favorite monster/gun combo is the SSG vs the Spider Mastermind. It’s just satisfying how every hitscan reliably hits her enormous frame even from a fair distance, and especially if I have something to duck behind it’s almost unfair.  Then again the spood generally punches way below her weight due to her speed and target size and the fact that she starts fights with every other monster on the map without really trying.

To be honest, for a favorite weapon, I'm gonna have to go with the Chaingun. (and you'll probably ask, why???) It just feels really satisfying to lay down the fire on hordes of enemies. The Chaingun has saved my butt quite a few times in situations that I wouldn't expect it to. My favorite monster is the Spiderdemon. I don't know why. The way they look is so cool and gnarly. Also deadly and frightening at times. Haha.

Love the zombieman's green hair and red eyes aesthetic. It's the most "action figure brodude you gotta shoot in droves" look - they've got the same kinda visual satisfaction factor as a huge pile of a fully set-up diorama of green army dudes. Plus they're really fun to pick off.

The visceral feeling of the plasma gun's recoil - just those few frames of holding the gun between bursts - just makes it feel so toyetic. It's just the right amount of weight, and it feels like you're a real action movie hero, doing a cool pose between bursts to show how heavy and badass the gun is! Similar feeling to when you're twelve running around Home Depot with your buds pretending to shoot each other with the power drill display models.