Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Neurosis

What Video Game Are You Currently Playing?

On 12/4/2020 at 8:01 PM, Rathori said:

I have played 2 hours of Empire of Sin and filed a refund request - the controls and UI feel really awkward, and the game just doesn't feel like fun.

@paturn I highly recommend going through the "DWMegawad Club" and "DWIronman League" threads in "WADs & Mods" section of the forums as good starting point for community WADs exploration.

Thanks! I actually found some great stuff to play by going through some of those threads and Cacoward/top 100 WADs articles. 

I'm on map 10 of Coffee Break and it's been great so far. My next five wads are probably gonna be D64D2, Revolution!, Demonfear, D2TWID and Perdition's Gate. That should keep me busy for a while.

Baldur's Gate 2, I finished playing through Baldur's Gate 1 last year and immediately started the sequel but some issues with Windows caused me to lose my saves. While I do like the classic D&D action I think was spoiled by Pathfinder Kingmaker's ruleset and quality of life features that make appreciating Baldur's Gate 2 harder. Things like cantrips, true turn based combat, and not having to transcribe spells from scrolls are things I have come to miss. I will say that the world design is good but the encounters so far leave quite a bit to be desired. High level mages are absolutely annoying to fight against and the amount I keep encountering is ridiculous.

On 12/1/2020 at 10:07 PM, Aaron Blain said:

You know, it's such a shame that they seem so arcane and forbidding, but it's nothing we haven't all done a million times before. It took me maybe an hour to get comfortable with all the standard rpg activities (looting, sleeping and healing, leveling up, etc.) and now I have this giant game world to look forward to.

I immediately went down a Spiderweb Software rabbit hole and started learning everything I could about the company. I downloaded the original Exile (which runs effortlessly for me, in Wine) (and which is free on the official site if anyone's interested), and I find it extremely appealing and charming, but the 2000 version has such an excellent interface I think I'll be sticking with that.

I only wish I had more time to play!

I sort of wish I could explore the games for the first time again. Spiderweb Software's number of games seem daunting, but I've played most of them in only 3 years. There are some things I don't like that were put into the games as the years went on. Avernum is my favourite. Geneforge does a lot of neat things and I need to replay those games. 

Oh, and here is a reason to check every rock on the ground... They could be a diamond that is worth a bit of money.

rock equals diamond.png

I feel like the only reason I can't quite get into those Spiderweb games is the lack of much sound stuff in general. 

It makes a difference, Baldur's Gate just absolutely slays in terms of music and it makes everything pop in ways other isometric games just don't. 

16 hours ago, Denim Destroyer said:

I will say that the world design is good but the encounters so far leave quite a bit to be desired. High level mages are absolutely annoying to fight against and the amount I keep encountering is ridiculous.

No, Baldur's Gate 2 has the best encounter design in the entire genre, because high level mages actually take a good degree understanding of the mechanics to actually fight against. I never found anything in the Pillars of Eternity games as interesting to fight and Original Sin 1 and 2 as I've said a few times now has a horrible combat system with horrible encounter design throughout the entirety of their campaigns. I can't say too much for Pathfinder Kingmaker but I've heard that gets very unreasonable later on. I wish I could find out if that's true or just people not really doing their homework on them, but that game has other issues that make it difficult to even get through for me. I mean, yes, Pathfinder Kingmaker has *some* QoL features over Baldur's Gate 2.

But Baldur's Gate 2 doesn't have that awful world map, it doesn't have a terrible kingdom management system baked in, it doesn't have timers on most quests, it doesn't have the game over spirals, it doesn't have map locations locked off due to perception checks, and frankly for such an older game, BG2 did a far better job helping the player in game with most of the basics to get them through than Pathfinder which just doesn't explain anything. 

I also think Kingmaker looks nice outdoors but indoor areas/caves/dungeons are horribly generic and boxy and reminds me of other games I just couldn't play for that reason, Neverwinter Nights 1 and 2. Baldur's Gate 2 has far more memorable locales. 

Edited by hybridial

54 minutes ago, hybridial said:

I feel like the only reason I can't quite get into those Spiderweb games is the lack of much sound stuff in general. 

It makes a difference, Baldur's Gate just absolutely slays in terms of music and it makes everything pop in ways other isometric games just don't. 

I kind of like that the games have no music, as I like to listen to my own music. The games are indeed bareboned when it comes to sound though.

IN RECENT YEARS: Doom, Clone Hero, Half-Life series & Black Mesa, Portal series, Minecraft, Getting Over It, Bully, Five Nights at Freddy's series and fangames, Grand Theft Auto series, Hello Neighbor, Quake 1 (I don't know if I will play the others). Halo soon.

IN RECENT MONTHS: Doom, Clone Hero.

Saints Row: The Third Remastered on Xbox One and Doom/Doom II WADs (as they are added) on Xbox One as well. I haven't really been playing many PC games and i don't plan on playing Cyberpunk 2077 anytime soon as i don't think it'll be very fun on an original Xbox One and a 9 yr old LCD TV. Also my PC specs aren't up to par to play it and have it actually look good (high settings) so yeah...

I finally finished Amid Evil. So I've finished Ion Fury, Dusk and Amid Evil in that order. Honestly, bit surprised by that. 

I find is extremely hard to pick a favourite. For some reason, call it destiny or fate, the classic FPS was reborn in three very different but extremely accomplished games, whom together have clearly laid the groundwork for the comeback of the old school FPS design philosophies.

I also think Amid Evil is one of the most beautiful things ever realised visually. 

I just started playing the first Just Cause game yesterday because I'm a huge fan of the 2nd and 3rd game, and wow is it ever awesome. Such an amazing game, especially for 2006.

revisiting FNV, this time siding with House, went for a melee speech/barter/science/repair/medicine build, so easymode

I still don't get how cazadores can punch through t-51b armor

Apart from Doom?

I'm forcing myself to finish The Last of Us 2 before I get sucked into Cyberpunk 2077. I've just hit where I'm assuming a lot of the controversy comes from and the game becomes super love it or hate it, but I'm still digging it. I wasn't expecting the combat to be as absorbing as it is though. If you play this, bump up the difficulty as high as you can take it, because having lowered resources and more dangerous foes forces you to have a plan, take risks, and improvise, and I've never played something that feels as violently chaotic as this.

I'd appreciate it if it didn't make my PS4 sound like it was going to war though.

On 12/13/2020 at 10:50 AM, SuperchargedEuthanasiaDiv said:

I still don't get how cazadores can punch through t-51b armor

The feedback you get when a Cazador stings you "You feel a little woozy" is like insult to injury considering the the high DOT from the poisoning besides from the damage from the initial sting.

Edited by Avoozl

Well.... Doom.

But I'm also playing Arma 3 when I can gather enough people to form a squad and Wh40k Mechanicus, but with work and covid, I had to limit the time I spend on computer since I spend more and more time on it for work. So I'm mainly Dooming and avoiding playing Valiant or finishing Eviternity.

System Shock 2 with the "No spiders" mod. right now i'm at the start of Deck 4. I also plan on trying out some fan missions once i beat the game.

I just beat Coffee Break, a 11 map wad for Doom II. The latter half of the wad reminded me a lot of Plutonia. The maps are fairly short. The difficulty increases gradually, the lower limit being Doom II and the upper limit being Plutonia.

I'm currently playing through Revolution! (Tvr.wad). The levels are short, easy, detailed (for its time) and fun to blast through. The revolution midi pack greatly adds to the experience. A true gem of a wad. 

I just decided to go back and play through Unreal again, I've only finished it once before. Although I've gone through Return to Na Pali a few times.

I'm just really impressed with how well the game has held up. Aside from updating it to the 227i patch, I haven't altered anything, and it still looks pretty good. The outdoor areas look really blockish, but I can remember how impressive they were when it first came out. But the interior areas, lighting, and water still looks pretty decent. And overall the aesthetic design is still really good for the most part, and I forgot just how intricate some of the maps are. Some are too intricate for their own damn good, but it's held up pretty damn well.

Also going back through Project Warlock, I played through it shortly after it was released and enjoyed it as sort of a quick play stress reliever. I figured it might be worth playing through again, and it looks like there's been some touch-ups and changes, but it's still fun to play in short bursts. It's still extremely easy on normal, so I might run through it again on hard, which looking back I probably should've done on my second playthrough, but it's short enough that another run won't kill me. And maybe I'll actually try to use some spells next time, but when the firearms work so well I don't see a point. Maybe just make a bullet list of essential upgrades and spend the rest of the points on spells. Bloodthirst for the Axe, Magnum for the revolver, auto-shotgun, Heavy Bolter for the minigun, Ballista for the crossbow, Supersonic for the rocket launcher. Although I could probably forego the .50 Magnum upgrade for the revolver and just go for the Ballista for the crossbow for a long range weapon, since you can recover the bolts. Anyway, it is a mindlessly fun game, not everyone's cup of tea, but I'm liking it more the second time through.

Although the Tank boss in the Industrial "episode" is completely worthless, especially once you've blown off the rocket launchers, which is extremely easy with the weapon loadout you have at that point. There's no additional enemies that spawn in the arena like with other bosses to add to the challenge, and once the turret is gone it just tries to run you over. I'm not sure if it has to do with the fact that I have gotten the "Ghost" perk both times, but it doesn't do any damage to me when it runs me over, it just stops and sits there on top of me.

have finished Witcher 3 Wild Hunt and Heart of Stone in the last two days.  i'll be starting Blood and Wine sometime today or tomorrow.  i'm not entirely sure what single player game i'd like to play next.  i have been playing a bit of Halo MCC but strictly in coop with irl friends. 

i do already have a few things installed but not yet touched.  BeamNG.drive, Doki Doki Literature Club, Finding Paradise, Promesa, and Gemini Rue.  no shortage of things to play, only analysis paralysis in the way.

i decided to take up DOOM speedrunning again, recently got the master chief collection along with Fortnite. Honestly Fortnite doesn't deserve all the bad stuff it gets flinged at. The single player is also fun but not necessarily requires friends to play with but hard recommended that you do as the only downside.

I recently started playing Super Gem Fighter: Mini Mix online. It's incredibly underrated and I'm hopeful that the community will expand over time. It's extremely charming and is very well balanced. It took some time for me to wrap my head around the fact that there isn't any chip damage, but it actually works. Most of the characters have move sets that are predicated on zoning, even though rushdown strategies have greater applicability than zoning strategies. There's a lot of mind games always happening in regards to conditioning your opponent to open themselves up. Blessed game. 

Unreal Tournament. I was playing on a server that I run on mouses.xyz to check that it doesn't eat the host's CPU. I had tweaked it a bit to prevent just that. It seems to work fine now.

I had also been playing Minetest online a lot a week or so ago. Not so much anymore, at least for now.

I dont play  anything games now. I seem to recall playing Diablo but now I relax another way.

I recently finished Thief 2X Shadows of the metal age, the story was good but it did have some moments straight out of a fan fiction