Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Longsword97

What's the best software for making MIDIs to use in WADS?

I'm no musician but I'd like to be able to make custom music for future WADs, what's the best software for this? Also is it possible to make a WAD play MP3s without someone needing to install extra software on their end?

I've heard many people calling Sekaiju the best option for them. It's free too, you should give it a shot first.

Also I believe certain ports do support mp3 playback, but you can just simply convert your necessary audio files to either .wav or .ogg in a versatile tool like Audacity.

30 minutes ago, TheNoob_Gamer said:

I've heard many people calling Sekaiju the best option for them. It's free too, you should give it a shot first.

Also I believe certain ports do support mp3 playback, but you can just simply convert your necessary audio files to either .wav or .ogg in a versatile tool like Audacity.

Thank you, does gzdoom allow wav or ogg files in WADs?

WAV files tend to be huge, so I’d say use OGG if you want a non midi format. Midi is still the best though since the files are so tiny. In addition to Sekaiju, I’d suggest TuxGuitar.

7 hours ago, Longsword97 said:

Thank you, does gzdoom allow wav or ogg files in WADs?

It was one of the first sourceports to support ogg. This also applies to normal ZDoom, LZDoom, and Zandronum.

If I remember correctly, even Chocolate Doom supports oggs nowadays.

I use Muse to make midis, though it is not very user friendly, but it has Linux version.

12 minutes ago, Sergeant_Mark_IV said:

If I remember correctly, even Chocolate Doom supports oggs nowadays.

In a roundabout way. It supports mapping external OGG files to MUS/MIDI lumps. But it does not support playing OGG files directly. It's just an unusual kind of MIDI player.

I have always used Cakewalk home studio and later Cakewalk Sonar.