Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jimmy

Faithless: Trilogy - BETA 1a released!

Found something else, in the entrance of E2M8 there's this lava pit around the bridge, and the right teleporter just didn't want to get me back to the start. I checked in DBX and there's nothing wrong with it apparently, but since I got knocked back into it by a projectile, I must have linedef-skipped or something.

Oh and I really loved E3M9. Entering puzzle, general concept, everything was great.

There is some odd behavior regarding the secret purple "heart gems" in Episode 3. Are they supposed to

Spoiler

trigger some sort of secret ending? Because it didn't work for me. I found all the red and purple "hearts" and when I used pedestals in the last map, purple ones were automatically placed into them. This triggered 4 big figths - Dsparil 1, two maulotaurs, Dsparil 2 and Korax. The end titles then said that I killed not only one, but two Serpent riders. I then reloaded game and used "take PuzzDarkHeart" to remove the purple gems. Red gems were then placed into pedestals and Korax was missing from the fight. But the end titles still said I killed both. Isn't that a bug?

Those super secret switches in the first hub world of Episode 2 (E2M1) - where are they all? I've found 3 so far (one in the library that is one of the first rooms accessible at the start), the one in the dark little room on the left side of the map that is a secret area, and the last one up in the lava/machinery room. Where is the forth? I'm sending myself nuts over this!

2 hours ago, maulosiarch said:

Those super secret switches in the first hub world of Episode 2 (E2M1) - where are they all? I've found 3 so far (one in the library that is one of the first rooms accessible at the start), the one in the dark little room on the left side of the map that is a secret area, and the last one up in the lava/machinery room. Where is the forth? I'm sending myself nuts over this!

Spoiler

It sounds like you're missing two. There should be one in the little room with the bookshelves and weapon racks to the south of the library, and one in another secret area that's north of the yellow key ramparts.

Silly nitpick but story3c and story3e both refer to "humans" when Corvus' people, are sidhe. :p

I made a thing that lets you play with Hexen weapons in Heretic, and it supports Faithless, if anyone wants some variety for a 2nd playthrough:

Maybe I'm dumb and missing something obvious... But I went for the clock tower straight from e2m1, and there's no portal back. I also seem to be... stuck?

Spoiler

I got the chest key and the bomb in the chest, and the gear by the platform at the map fountain. I can't seem to progress further?

@pagb Getting the brass gear is about all you can do in the Clock Tower at first. You'll need to return to the Fortress and take another portal to the Treasury to find more gears, and start finding gems for the second puzzle, too.

You should definitely be able to leave the Tower, though. Is the portal blocked off at the map start somehow? It shouldn't be.

@Caleb13 Currently the two endings are the same, although the wording is very deliberate so as to be applicable to both endings.

Spoiler

Finding the Korax gems triggers the "secret" Korax fight in E3M8, but currently I don't know of a way to trigger a different ending cutscene. Therefore the wording of the story text says you've defeated both riders, regardless of whether you fight Korax. Strictly speaking you haven't killed both riders, you've just defeated them by killing the last of their remaining minions.

10 hours ago, Jimmy said:

currently I don't know of a way to trigger a different ending cutscene

I don't know what the "right" way to do this is, but for what you have you could probably go to one end sequence with `next` in your MAPINFO as you do now, and the other with `secretnext`, and change the exit linedefs in E3M8 to execute a script that either does Exit_Normal or Exit_Secret. The ZDoom wiki has something of an example: https://zdoom.org/wiki/Exit_Secret

Nice! When do you think v1 can be released, need some time to fix stuff? (i will wait v1)

This is already as good as if not better than the original Faithless, but I do have some nagging issues:

Was there a reason you didn't keep the original Jade Wand projectile and made it into a recolored Sapphire Wand?

Some chests simply aren't worth the hassle, 3 time bombs and 1 bouncing bombs doesn't seem Strongbox material

"To get the green key solve the puzzle in the other world"

• What other world? I suppose you mean Willowood because it's the only thing new that opens in the Fortress, if so
  • What puzzle?

The two "worlds" involving the green key are the Clock Tower and Treasury.

It could be a bit more clear about what to do about the Green Key and Blue Key in Episode 2. I spent 20 minutes in E2M1 to figure out finally that I had to go to the teleporter on the southwest corner of the map just to open the gate and trek to Willowwood to get to the green key switch. The blue key I had to jump from map to map to finally notice there was a blue key door in Sunless Temple.

Episodes 1 and 3 were a lot more straightforward. I'm glad I did the Korax ending which was cool.

Hey Jimmy. I gotta say this is a fantastic set of levels. It took me a while to get through them but it was worth it. I had a lot of fun exploring, looking for secrets and beating the challenges. It's a very successful fusion of Heretic and Hexen that merges all the good elements of both games. I guess I didn't realize how much I wanted a quality Heretic mapset until I got one and Faithless has definitely raised the bar for all the other potential projects for that game. Too bad this isn't a standalone game as I'd love to have tons of lore and backstories for all the locations because throughout the whole set I felt like it was only scratching the surface of its potential. Episode 2 was by far my favourite though I have to say it kind of stands out because it seemed like it's as big as the other two episodes combined. I really enjoyed the ammo scarcity and the fact that it takes a while to get the good weapons because it makes them feel like actual rewards.

I could nitpick a couple of things I guess. Some situations were kind of mean, like getting dropped in a room full of enemies. Some secrets were either unindicated or extremely obscure. Some items were more of a curiosity than a utility and it seemed like it wouldn't hurt to get rid of them. Especially with the clunky Heretic inventory system. I also wouldn't mind changing the sounds of weapons and some enemies because some of the original ones are pretty bad. Minor things in general. The only thing that was really annoying me was the ever decreasing performance of some maps. I guess it has to do with weather effects? Levels like Willowwood and Dark Chapter started flawlessly but became borderline unplayable by the end of their respective episodes. Oh yeah, and some puzzles like the one with melting pillars were just kinda frustrating. For other ones involving memorizing the order of something I think it would have been better without insta-death for messing up because that just encourages save-scumming.

Other than that great job, I had tons of fun playing it. You've already made my favourite D1 vanilla mapset and now my favourite Heretic set. Looking forward to whatever you'll do next time.

15 minutes ago, Touchdown said:

The only thing that was really annoying me was the ever decreasing performance of some maps. I guess it has to do with weather effects?

Console command "remove SoundRainQuiet" to get performance back.

Hello,
I registered not only to thank you for this wad but also because I've got a question: how can I disable the respawn of both ammo and monsters? 

1 hour ago, Mangudai said:

Hello,
I registered not only to thank you for this wad but also because I've got a question: how can I disable the respawn of both ammo and monsters? 

For that (assuming you are using GZDoom 4.5), go to Options -> Full Options menu. Then scroll to the bottom of Options page, you will find "Faithless Options". Go there and turn off "Map repopulation"

21 minutes ago, Woolie Wool said:

How do I get the red key on hub 2? I've combed every corner of the Willowwood looking for it.

Funny, I have the opposite problem.  After finding all the gears and solving the Clock Tower puzzle, it tells me to look for the Green key in the other world.  Where would that other world be?  (Dunno where the red key is, to answer your question).

@Master O

Both the Treasury and Clock Tower have puzzles you have to solve in order for the green key to lower in E2M1, which then you need to open the gate (the teleporter to said switch is in the way southeast, follow the candles!) to use said key in Willowwood.

@Woolie Wool

In the Monastery, beat the puzzle in the cathedral in the way northwest (Use the blinking lights to tell you the pattern of the puzzle) to gain access to the western monastery. Afterwards, find a wall in that cathedral featuring a red dragon eye to get you to a teleporter to open the door to the eastern monastery, which houses the red key and a boss.  (Note the red key is actually for the secret level). Ring the gong to open up the arena in e2m1 that leads you to e2m6 as well.

And don't forget once you get the blue key, that door is somewhere in e2m7.

How do I get to the monastery then? I've finished the treasury and clock tower, opened the Willowwood, explored it, and now I'm stuck. There is a sandstone fortress across a bridge that I can't get into, is that the monastery then?

After using the green key, you can head north to the woods that lead to the monastery. There is an interactive portal based puzzle (have a torch activated and bump the minotaur statues and find a tree north in the first section with a hidden switch to change the interactive portal destination) that you need to solve to get farther north to get to the monastery entrance. The interactive portal effect in this part is pretty neat, and something similar happens in e3m9.

The sandstone fortress is the secret level you gain access to after using the red key. Remember the red key is just meant for the secret level.

Edited by SyntherAugustus

Almost finished with this, but how do I get the gold key/into the secret map for E3?

I've searched through every map and collected all the Hearts of D'Sparil and Heats of Korax, and I still have no idea how to get into the main temple in E3M9 or what to do with the Hearts of Korax. I assume using the D'Sparil hearts in E3M8 will trigger the end-of-episode boss battle.

18 hours ago, SyntherAugustus said:

Both the Treasury and Clock Tower have puzzles you have to solve in order for the green key to lower in E2M1, which then you need to open the gate (the teleporter to said switch is in the way southeast, follow the candles!) to use said key in Willowwood.

I realized the dumb mistake I made on the Clock Tower.  I forgot to add the last gem in the puzzle there. Doh!  *brain fart*

9 hours ago, Woolie Wool said:

Almost finished with this, but how do I get the gold key/into the secret map for E3?

You have to open the locked tomb in Dark Chapter. The entrance to the secret level is literally just right next to the start of the episode. If you had the message telling you "A distant tomb is unlocked" then you can access it. The switch that unlocks this tomb is situated in the same E3M1 map, in a secret area behind the portal to the blood world.

I have gotten into the secret level, but the temple inside the secret level (that is the bulk of the level) appears to be locked with the gold key, which appears nowhere in the episode that I could find.

You don't need the gold key to enter the secret temple. In fact (I admit it took me a while to figure it out, too) you enter the temple through careful vandalism. Hint: this is the Phoenix Temple. What is associated to the Phoenix in Heretic? What kind of interaction may it have with what you find in front of the temple entrance?

Spoiler

Burn the trees.

I'm not sure what to do in the Halls of Atrocity. I've gotten two switches but the room with the ceiling crusher is a puzzle I cannot figure out. I noticed an unlit minotaur brazier in the lobby but I don't know if there's anything about it.

Keep in mind that I'm not a Heretic/Hexen expert. I might be missing some basic game knowledge here.