Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
[McD] James

Selaco; an original "boomer shooter" that runs on GZDoom

I am impressed by the amounts of entirely-unrelated results I get with a web search for "Selaco". This thing doesn't seem to have any web presence outside of that Twitter account.

Good looking screenshot! A lot of people in the comments are blown away it's GZDoom, which suggests to me there is a relative lack of content which really utilizes GZDoom's capabilities. Which makes sense, a lot of it requires new assets (the new textures in that shot have a lot of accompanying brightmaps, for example). It'll be interesting to see if this starts a trend at all.

40 minutes ago, Gez said:

I am impressed by the amounts of entirely-unrelated results I get with a web search for "Selaco". This thing doesn't seem to have any web presence outside of that Twitter account.

They said as much on the Twitter thread: this is their only public presence at the moment.

Seeing some assets from other games in that screenshot, so I guess the plan isn't a commercial release?

(I believe the floor cables are from Quake 2 originally -- I know for sure they at least also appear in Suspended in Dusk, so they're definitely not original work.)

edit: It’s been explained below that they’re placeholder assets, so I guess I was jumping the gun on this post. Sorry about that!

35 minutes ago, Sunnyfruit said:

Screens are screens. Video or bust

You have to admit that it is a very pretty looking screenshot. 

Just now, Ajora said:

You have to admit that it is a very pretty looking screenshot. 

I'm just a bit wary, but I love this art direction. It feels like a more cyberpunky Deus Ex.

35 minutes ago, Sunnyfruit said:

I'm just a bit wary, but I love this art direction. It feels like a more cyberpunky Deus Ex.

Diabolus Ex is another GZDoom mod that also has this cyberpunk theme. You might need to play that one...

Also, I'd play this standalone game if it's released.

31 minutes ago, leodoom85 said:

Diabolus Ex is another GZDoom mod that also has this cyberpunk theme. You might need to play that one...

Also, I'd play this standalone game if it's released.

Watching the Icarus video, thanks for the suggestion.

24 minutes ago, Obsidian said:

Can we retire the phrase "boomer shooter" yet? Quibbling about what does and doesn't constitute a Boomer aside, it's just a really bad name in general.

Especially since none of them are cold war submarine simulators! >:(

2 hours ago, esselfortium said:

Seeing some assets from other games in that screenshot, so I guess the plan isn't a commercial release?

(I believe the floor cables are from Quake 2 originally -- I know for sure they at least also appear in Suspended in Dusk, so they're definitely not original work.)

I wonder if some of those are just being used as placeholders until original assets are created.

3 hours ago, esselfortium said:

Placeholder :) After posting the tweet, that started to bother me. Selaco was called Ominous in the past, where it was just a Doom mod so using existing assets was 'fine'. Credit was given in the readme as it should! But now we are standalone and still working hard on making sure everything is being replaced by our own assets.

Sorry about that! Maybe the tweet happened a little too soon..

Edited by nexxtic28

1 hour ago, guitardz said:

I wonder if some of those are just being used as placeholders until original assets are created.

It was, yeah. See the post above.

That definitely looks like GZDoom but unlike a lot of other retro shooters using it (Looking at Hedon/Adventures of Square) this purposefully seems to aim for a more realistic look. I dunno, gives me Unreal Tourney vibes (It has some levels in there that have this exact red and blue used throughout.

Impressive, but how does it look... in action? ;)

2 hours ago, Obsidian said:

Can we retire the phrase "boomer shooter" yet? Quibbling about what does and doesn't constitute a Boomer aside, it's just a really bad name in general.

I personally think Boomer Shooter is a really stupid name. I've always called them Retro Shooters. 

59 minutes ago, nexxtic28 said:

Placeholder :) After posting the tweet, that started to bother me. Selaco was called Ominous in the past, where it was just a Doom mod so using existing assets was 'fine'. Credit was given in the readme as it should! But now we are standalone and still working hard on making sure everything is being replaced by our own assets.

Sorry about that! Maybe the tweet happened a little too soon..

That’s good to hear, thanks for clarifying. Good luck with the ambitious project!

3 hours ago, Obsidian said:

Agreed. This game claims to take inspirations from FEAR, which isn't a boomer shooter by a long shot.

55 minutes ago, TheNoob_Gamer said:

Agreed. This game claims to take inspirations from FEAR, which isn't a boomer shooter by a long shot.

The game claims to be taking inspiration from BOTH Doom and Fear. One of which is a boomer shooter. It also says Selaco is a boomer shooter, taking inspiration from non-boomer shooter FEAR.

There's a difference here. Stop jumping on a hate train for a single word, man :P

I don't like the word boomer shooter either, but jeez, I would never make a big deal out of it.

Doom is a boomer shooter?

I always thought Doom was a Doomer Shooter :P

who the heck coined the term?

Wouldn't be more appropiate retro shooter or Doomer shooter?

Aside from that, Selaco has something to do with Sulaco, the ship on the film Aliens?

From that screen, looks great. Love the lighting and the weapon and HUD.

I don't really mind the term boomer shooter, I guess because I sorta relate to the 30 year old boomer meme and I also have respect for the boomer generation. If it upsets you that much you might want to check your priorities.

That screenshot looks wonderful

Also, who cares what some people decide to call retro video games, lol

Any idea when we'll be able to see some footage? I really dig that shot, but movement/physics are going to be the big seller (I know it runs on GZDoom so decent movement is almost guaranteed, but still)

1 hour ago, Nevander said:

I don't really mind the term boomer shooter, I guess because I sorta relate to the 30 year old boomer meme and I also have respect for the boomer generation. If it upsets you that much you might want to check your priorities.

I've checked my priorities and come to the conclusion that you can find the term "boomer shooter" annoying without it being on the top of your "grievances with the world" list. Also my respect for someone comes down to the individual's merits and accomplishments, not arbitrary factors like birth year.. but I don't want to veer offtopic. Back in my day, we called old FPSes "old FPSes", we didn't need to dadgum fancy-talk to get the point across.. *sip* yep, good times.

37 minutes ago, Spectre01 said:

Screenshot looks good. Nice broom. Is that a model or voxel?

Voxels! We managed to get Ion Fury's voxel artists on board to help us out there. I refuse to use any kind of 3D object in this world.

42 minutes ago, Serum said:

That screenshot looks wonderful

Also, who cares what some people decide to call retro video games, lol

Agreed! Some people feel offended by the term ''Boomer shooter'', I personally think its supposed to sound cheesy and stupid. You would expect Doom players to like cheesy stuff.

39 minutes ago, Doomkid said:

Any idea when we'll be able to see some footage? I really dig that shot, but movement/physics are going to be the big seller (I know it runs on GZDoom so decent movement is almost guaranteed, but still)

Real, real soon! I think we have something good in our hands and I hope it can be a win for the GZDoom community. I hope both Selaco and Supplice (also worth checking out!) are going to deliver something great.

1 hour ago, P41R47 said:

Aside from that, Selaco has something to do with Sulaco, the ship on the film Aliens?

Yeah, pure coincidence actually! But we loved the name so much that we just decided to go with it.

Edited by nexxtic28

23 minutes ago, nexxtic28 said:

I personally think its supposed to sound cheesy and stupid. You would expect Doom players to like cheesy stuff.

I really don't understand the hate for the term. I find it kind of amusing, personally.