Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
smeghammer

Smeghammer's Episode 1 replacement WiP - Phobos: Threshold, E1M9 released!!

Hi all Doomers!

I have started on an Episode 1 replacement, and am trying my hand at building a .pk3 archive because I want to add several new monsters from Realm 667. I think I have the basic archive format working and have included a couple of low tier custom monsters so far. Thanks to @Kappes Buur for suggestions for excellent reference mapsets - assisted greatly.

• GZDoom
  • No jumping
  • Freelook is fine
  • Custom Monsters!

>>DOWNLOAD<<

- tested with GZDoom 4.4.x 

- format: DIHF

- IWAD: doom.wad

- custom monsters: yes (r667)

I haven't decided on an episode name yet, 'departure' is a placeholder...

PHOBOS: THRESHOLD

I have completed up to E1M3 and now have secret level E1M9 as well. I made a DECORATE monster too!.

I'd love to know what you guys think.

Obligatory screenshots:

E1M1:

Spoiler

20.png?raw=true

4.png?raw=true

5.png?raw=true

6.png?raw=true

2.png?raw=true

1.png?raw=true

7.png?raw=true

E1M2:

Spoiler

m2_01.png?raw=true

m2_02.png?raw=true

m2_03.png?raw=true

m2_04.png?raw=true

m2_05.png?raw=true

m2_06.png?raw=true

E1M3:

Spoiler

e1m3_1.png?raw=true

e1m3_2.png?raw=true

e1m3_3.png?raw=true

e1m3_4.png?raw=true

e1m3_5.png?raw=true

E1M9:

Spoiler

e1m9_1.png?raw=true

e1m9_4.png?raw=true

e1m9_17.png?raw=true

e1m9_21.png?raw=true

Edited by smeghammer

Hey, not to shabby, Smeghead hehe ;^) One thing, I thought the plasma rifle zombies were a little too devastating in terms of the fire-rate of their attack. Maybe switch it over to a burst fire rather than what they've currently got going which feels essentially like a flamethrower.

@Biodegradable, thanks for playing and the feedback as usual.

Music. Argh! yes, I always forget as I don't play with music on. I'll update the MAPINFO (probably just with stock E1M1).

Yeah - they are 'beam zombies', so I guess they are like a flamethrower. Actually, I've included (but not used) the actual flamethrower zombie as well - that is somewhat more powerful and has really cool animations. I'm using stock monsters do far. Baby steps...

I'm just playing with ideas really - I'll try with a less powerful custom monster and see if that works better. I didn't want two types to use the same weapon though.

Secrets:

Spoiler

behind the light

switch hidden in vines

Watch this space for E1M2. Some kind of foundry/steelworks I think...

Now with a proper name. See title of thread.

E1M1 = Garden of Evil

E1M2 = Blast Furnace

E1M1 is beta-completed and E1M2 is almost done. E1M2 is definitely inspired by Doom 2016 first map. Flamethrower zombie fits really well... Here are a couple of taster screenshots:

Spoiler

m2_02.png?raw=true

m2_05.png?raw=true

m2_06.png?raw=true

The Flamethrower Zombie is easy to kill (same as standard shotgun guy I think), but deals lots of damage with the flamethrower.

Edited by smeghammer

Map E1M2 beta now ready for playing. I'd love feedback. Updated link in first post.

Tested with GZDoom pistol start, custom R667 flamehrower zombie (fits theme very well). You do need to do it in the correct order...

Screenshots:

Spoiler

m2_01.png?raw=true

m2_02.png?raw=true

m2_03.png?raw=true

m2_04.png?raw=true

m2_05.png?raw=true

m2_06.png?raw=true

The map's pretty cool, Smeg, but the flameboys are a bit too OP if you ask me. Also, they easily blend into the background because of their brown clothes, their fire rate is really quick AND they can shoot through some of the walls. I think this zombie variant could work in much more open arenas that you could utilise with infighting large groups, but in these kind of close-quarters combat, they are an absolute bitch and not much fun to deal with. I'll let my footage speak for itself.

Ah OK - thanks for playing @Biodegradable.

1 hour ago, Biodegradable said:

but the flameboys are a bit too OP if you ask me

I just thought those guys fitted the theme really well and I love the flamethrower effects. I'll have a look at re-balancing or perhaps reducing the damage they do (gives me an excuse to delve into custom monster code a bit I suppose...).  I could also widen the broken bridge pillars (the flames go around beautifully, so they could be used as shields if they are wider).

I think I like making the combat 'realistic' and perhaps that takes away from the fun-ness of it. You gave me similar feedback for the chaingunner turrets on my Island Fortress map.

Thanks again.

Edited by smeghammer

7 hours ago, Arrowhead12 said:

It seems that the download link is 404ed. Can you re-post it? :)

Good spot. Thanks.

Fixed now.

E1M3 released!! Check it out. I'd love to hear what you think!

I've used half a dozen or so R667 monsters, so it's not really true to original Ep1, but hey... Screenshots in OP.

Tested with GZDoom 4.4. Freelook OK, no jumping.

I'm gonna check this out over the weekend, looks pretty cool. What editor are you using, out of interest?

I had this on my list to go and played "Garden of Evil" and "Blast furnace". It was some old school fun.

Kinda nice not dealing with any revenants and arch-viles for a moment, but those custom monsters can get you off guard

, surely kept me on alert all the way through the 1st map (I even had an unusual jumpscare with a lonely flamethrower zombieguy,

didnt expect it at all haha)

Gotta say Blast furnace was great, some really cool enviromental visuals, reminds me of quake 2, maybe just too short!

E1M3 is going to be fun for sure.

Edited by Soulless

10 hours ago, Soulless said:

I had this on my list to go and played "Garden of Evil" and "Blast furnace". It was some old school fun.

Hah! Glad you liked the first two maps. Hopefully, the third works OK too. 

These maps are my first foray into building a .pk3 output, so a bit of an experiment for me. Each level is supposed to have a bit of a gimmick (except the first one I guess) and e1m3 is no exception... There's probably too much debug logging going on, and any thoughts on - well - any aspect of the map always welcome of course.

10 hours ago, Soulless said:

not dealing with any revenants and arch-viles

Yeah. Partly, I am trying to put more 'human-like' zombie in the earth-based levels. Also, I don't really like fighting arch-viles... So I don't put them in (I'm not a Doom-god player)...

I think as I get on to more hell-based maps, these monsters will likely make an appearance though.

Wow, amazed how good is E1M3, it captures good old doom really well, combat and balance is fantastic, I had to move really slow to survive.

The "mission" itself is really cool, and wasnt confusing at all, after loading the crates and completing the level I went for a secret hunt,

really cool you dropped 11!

Spoiler

So In my 1st run I only found 5, mostly the ones in the boat.

Then I figured out this secret door, a bit shady to make is shootable, just tried because I heard those imps behind,

The next 2 secrets connected to this were really cool too, even though maybe too massive to put that plasma&rocket launcher,

Chainsaw was good though, since the spot where is located can be seen from last area, always cool to tease secrets.

Screenshot_Doom_20210227_112631.png.c16cedeac25d76706857c7c5ea4f1e04.png

I know for sure theres something hidden in this room, maybe the last 2 secrets? You tell me in spoilers please haha

Spoiler

Screenshot_Doom_20210227_113628.png.a68925799b999d9e23c9a9fbddd5dea5.png

Some minor stuff I would point is some misalignments in the area where you can backtrack from the exit area, but the dont look bad, almost intentional,

this one not so much:

Spoiler

Screenshot_Doom_20210227_112517.png.63951d6c1fddc27fbc80081ab0efb866.png

Also if you are standing on the cargo boat the horizon lines look kinda weird in transition with the building.

That said, HIGHLY recommended level, has everything I love in Doom, creppy hostile atmosphere, cool secrets, tight combat, and cool looking

envimorent, the sounds effect were top too. Looking forward for the next one!

@Soulless, thanks for playing and the feedback. I'm glad you enjoyed it. 

Yes, there's a couple of places where I couldn't align properly because it was a 2 sided line, and aligning one side screwed up the other. The elevator shaft is I think one of those. Looking back at the backtrack path I think you mean where I  added the light gradation sectors? Yeah, I forgot to re-align the x co-ord. That one above though - can't believe I missed it! Doh... I'll fix that shortly.

1 hour ago, Soulless said:

I know for sure theres something hidden in this room, maybe the last 2 secrets? You tell me in spoilers please haha

Do you mean the room under the 3D floor?

Spoiler

There is a switch in the gallery above the red power core area. Shoot the wall in the first blue area with the reversed COMPTILE pattern (NE corner facing E). Go into the corridor behind there and, in the console on your right, just before the vertical barrier, is a COMPBLUE panel. Shoot this. The switch revealed behind will open the bars. At the far end is another switch. This opens the two doors in the last secret area on the far W of the map. From here you can teleport to the secret under the floor/behind the elevator. Chainsaw is your friend...

Once again, I'm really pleased you liked it! I'll definitely continue with E1M4. I have ideas...

EDIT:

Updated alignments

Edited by smeghammer

17 minutes ago, smeghammer said:

Do you mean the room under the 3D floor?

No I lowered those bars, but after that I was at 128/145 monsters, I swear I kept hearing monster noises in that room.

Couldnt find those 2 last secrets after a good searching.

It's possible some of the monsters don't come out of the teleport monster containers. I'll check later on. Also, there's a lot of rats.

4 minutes ago, smeghammer said:

Also, there's a lot of rats.

Oh yeah, 1st encounter freaked me out hahaha, thought I was playing Blood for a sec.

1 hour ago, Soulless said:

No I lowered those bars, but after that I was at 128/145 monsters, I swear I kept hearing monster noises in that room.

Couldnt find those 2 last secrets after a good searching.

OK I think I know what it is:

I think I have secrets flagged on both lowered bars (un-necessarily) - should rework that. Also, the final monster closet opened by the final switch (after the blue key door) is not being triggered (automap/iddt+iddt). That needs fixing. I'll sort these out after I have been for a burn on me 'Busa. It's a lovely day here... 

OK I found the problem. I also sorted out the secrets.

Spoiler

Secret count: It was the tiny sectors around the bars in the gallery (removed secret flag) and also the recess where the last switch is (obviously inaccessible, secret flag removed).

Monster count: Were not woken when they should be. Fixed by merging with last switch recess so they would definitely hear the player. The last wave should now appear once you have pressed the last switch...

19 hours ago, Soulless said:

maybe just too short!

Oh yeah, I deliberately kept these small, as the ones I did last year got really fucking big.

OK y'all! I have added the secret level now, with a completely new custom DECORATE monster - I give you the Flamer Baron! It's pistol-startable.

e1m9_17.png?raw=true

I also modified E1M3 to have a secret exit. See if you can find it...

See OP for updated screenshots

Hi @Biodegradable! thanks for playing - I hope you had fun with all the rats... As you noticed, I used quite a few R667 custom monsters. Those fast-moving machine-gunners are bastards aren't they!

There's a secret exit to a new E1M9:

Spoiler

In the first blue area, the NE corner panel has a reversed blue/grey pattern. That is is a shootable door:

image.png.34c792de4fc90610d883a9e6ccb3515a.png

Behind this is a passage with a switch behind some more bars.

This switch opens the way into the area opposite the closets with the speedy machine gunners. There is a secret pushable panel here that opens the secret exit teleport:

image.png.76171481542e854990ad54a516d71151.png

Have a crack at the hellfire spewing barons...