Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Eurisko

The Unity Port Thread - PS/Xbox/Switch/IOS/Android

35 minutes ago, ChopBlock223 said:

Don't they only pick works where they can get in contact with all of the authors? If that's the case, Espi passing long ago may make Suspended In Dusk an unlikely choice (though it's one of my very favorites, and I think it deserves to be played). Correct me if I'm wrong, however. For the others, aren't those properties not owned by iD?

You are correct on the first point. If the author has passed that pretty much completely rules any of the author’s works. I don’t know who exactly owns the rights for Hacx, but Perdition’s Gate and Hell to Pay are owned by Atari I believe. Chances are that getting the rights to distribute them simply isn’t worth the effort, though it would be cool if it were to happen.

28 minutes ago, Faceman2000 said:

Perdition’s Gate and Hell to Pay are owned by Atari I believe.

They'll want $50 Million for each, it'll make more sense to just commission some mappers to produce a facsimile if they really want something like that.

56 minutes ago, Faceman2000 said:

I don’t know who exactly owns the rights for Hacx

I think that Nostromo from Banjo Software is the one that hold the rights to it.

It would be totally cool if, now, almost after 20 years of HACX, we get a proper complete release with new content of it for the Bethesda port.

Very unlikely hahaha but dreaming is free and may give ideas to someone ***cough, @Xaser, cough***

As good as Suspended in Dusk is, it's just four levels so even if Espi was still with us, it'd probably not get picked.

And yes, HTP/PG would be awesome but the rightholder for WizardWorks/Wraith being Atari makes it quite unlikely. The Lost Episodes of Doom would also be historically interesting. That said, the focus is put on recent works, which are generally of higher quality.

I'll repeat my suggestion to go with Harmony, to get another TC. All the engine needs added is support for a scale property defined in dehacked, which is then factored in when sprites are scaled for distance. Use the soundtrack from Jimmy's Harmony MIDI Pack.

15 minutes ago, Gez said:

I'll repeat my suggestion to go with Harmony, to get another TC. All the engine needs added is support for a scale property defined in dehacked, which is then factored in when sprites are scaled for distance. Use the soundtrack from Jimmy's Harmony MIDI Pack.

I saw you say this on another thread, or another page of this one.

I don't know at all, thats why i ask, but are you saying that Harmony Sprites are too big and need to be resized to be on a conservative port, and so a dehacked scale property would be useful?

Wouldn't be easier to just re-scale the sprites by hand? :/

Probably some definition may be lost in the process, but i think that could add to a certain charm, specially in clay model sprites from Harmony.

The sprites are high-res, yes, and they do use a scale property in their dehacked code.

This, the MAPINFO lump, and the MP3 soundtrack are the extend of the ZDoom features used in it.

And again, it's not like scaling down sprites is some advanced voodoo magic that the Doom engine doesn't know how to do so it'd be complicated to support. There's this thing called "distance" which the engine already uses for scaling. All that's needed is literally just adding another multiplication in there. It'd be less work than rescaling hundreds of sprites.

Since this newest add-on has 'Doom' in the name, a few places are posting articles, apparently they think Doom Zero is Bethesda-made or licensed ie NRFTL, heh.

I've been playing Double Impact lately (never played this, nor any of the available WADs before), its so damn hard! The maps are huge, and the combat is tough. I save every time I'm about to turn a corner, no shame. Shit is tough. I can't imagine pistol-starting these levels upon every death, no fucking way.

I love that id and Bethesda have opted to include these add-ons to the Switch port. I've been playing more obscure and console-impossible ports via my PC, but I really feel like my "true" Doom experience has been on Switch. This is a great port; funny how it began so dire!

-

This has to be the best console port at this point, right? The game runs near perfect and has a shitload of add-ons available. The only thing that would make this notably better is if they decided to include the more unique console ports like Playstation, for example.

You know, I just remembered something.

Say you have an Xbox Live account or Microsoft account or whatever with the original XBLA Dooms, or the BFG Edition versions. Either that or you have a PlayStation Network account with Doom Classic Complete, do you get the Unity Port versions for free? I think it'd only be fair as to my current present knowledge you're no longer able to download/purchase those versions.

1 hour ago, Gregory Stephens said:

You know, I just remembered something.

Say you have an Xbox Live account or Microsoft account or whatever with the original XBLA Dooms, or the BFG Edition versions. Either that or you have a PlayStation Network account with Doom Classic Complete, do you get the Unity Port versions for free? I think it'd only be fair as to my current present knowledge you're no longer able to download/purchase those versions.

Games are very rarely if ever "given out" across platform generations. And no, the downloads haven't been removed. If you own it, you can still redownload it.

8 hours ago, Solid SOAP said:

I've been playing Double Impact lately (never played this, nor any of the available WADs before), its so damn hard! The maps are huge, and the combat is tough. I save every time I'm about to turn a corner, no shame. Shit is tough. I can't imagine pistol-starting these levels upon every death, no fucking way.

Check in the options if you have Vertical Sync on, it can give you pretty bad input lag.

On 12/16/2020 at 1:13 PM, Scuba Steve said:

What a great pick to follow Rekkr. My top "gets" are now Suspended in Dusk, Hacx, and Perdition's Gate/Hell to Pay.

This would be awesome!

On 12/16/2020 at 2:11 PM, ChopBlock223 said:

Don't they only pick works where they can get in contact with all of the authors? If that's the case, Espi passing long ago may make Suspended In Dusk an unlikely choice (though it's one of my very favorites, and I think it deserves to be played). Correct me if I'm wrong, however. For the others, aren't those properties not owned by iD?

Yeah...it sucks tbh. There are a TON of old WADs that would be killer to play. I guess PC is the best way to play Doom after all. Not that newer WAD's are bad though. Far from it. I'm really enjoying them!! It's just that there are certain classic ones that i think should be mandatory is all. I'm sure i'm not alone either.

BTW, congrats on Doom Zero! I am having a good time playing it! It's different, especially since it's a bit more "puzzly".

On 12/2/2020 at 6:51 PM, Eurisko said:

Just now getting into the Doom II Master Levels. Every one of them has the same music track. Was this as it was back on their original release in '95?

Spoiler

hEQu4Oe.gif

https://www.doomworld.com/forum/post/2112700/

https://www.doomworld.com/forum/post/2112723/

Sorry, couldn’t resist.

Edited by Diabolución : Add spoiler tag.

Doom Zero is definitely one I've been wanting to play since my laptop died. Might jump right into it after I beat Doom II for the thousandth time!

Something weird is happening in my Double Impact playthrough. I'm playing it on the switch Doom 2 version. The secret level is marked as "ml0" in the saves list, while it's correctly called e1m9 on the map and such. When I finish the secret level, instead of putting me on e1m4 it boots me out into the Master Levels level select screen. Luckily I have saves on e1m3 and e1m4 to possibly continue playing without the secret level, but it still seems pretty bad.

On 12/16/2020 at 10:49 PM, Gez said:

I would pick Harmony too.

I'm not sure if anyone else is experiencing this issue, but apparently there's some microstutter issue report going around on Steam claiming that the game is microstutter while strafing using the Strafe Left/Right keys or controller during gameplay. I'm not sure if anyone else has noticed frame-rate dips while strafing on PC or consoles with the Unity port. Something I did notice, however, is that the V-sync option overrides the frame-rate limit option based on the hertz of the display (e.g. setting to 30 FPS with V-sync enabled forces to lock it at 60 FPS on a 60 Hz display).

I recently bought Doom '93 for use in a standard Xbox One and noticed it doesn't run so smoothly like the PS4 Pro version. It's as if there's some frame pacing issue. Is there any workaround or acknowledgement of this?

Apologies if this has already been answered

2 hours ago, Cantleylads said:

I recently bought Doom '93 for use in a standard Xbox One and noticed it doesn't run so smoothly like the PS4 Pro version. It's as if there's some frame pacing issue. Is there any workaround or acknowledgement of this?

I mentioned this issue last year but the devs never acknowledged it, so I'm not sure if they're looking into it or not. Another user also said that the PS4 version did not have the same frame pacing issues that the Xbox One version does, so you're not alone.

On 1/13/2021 at 5:57 PM, Cantleylads said:

Check your options and see if VSync (Vertical Sync) is turned on. It may cause some serious input lag, subtle, but more than enough to handicap you seriously.

13 minutes ago, ChopBlock223 said:

Check your options and see if VSync (Vertical Sync) is turned on. It may cause some serious input lag, subtle, but more than enough to handicap you seriously.

The input lag is the sole reason i created an account. So of course, the vsync toggle was a saving grace.

This is something else though. The Xbox One version doesnt run smoothly like the PS4 version. Input latency is good though.

4 minutes ago, Cantleylads said:

The input lag is the sole reason i created an account. So of course, the vsync toggle was a saving grace.

This is something else though. The Xbox One version doesnt run smoothly like the PS4 version. Input latency is good though.

Try turning up the movement sensitivity I guess? Is the game overall just running slow somehow?

1 hour ago, ChopBlock223 said:

Try turning up the movement sensitivity I guess? Is the game overall just running slow somehow?

The controls are fine, the issue is with the performance. It's like the game stutters constantly.

If only the Digital Foundry covered the Xbox version...

34 minutes ago, Cantleylads said:

The controls are fine, the issue is with the performance. It's like the game stutters constantly.

This isn't normal. Are you running your Xbox in Instant On mode or Energy Saving mode? If it's the former, go to Settings -> General -> Power mode & startup, do a full shutdown and leave the console for a bit.

12 hours ago, Edward850 said:

This isn't normal. Are you running your Xbox in Instant On mode or Energy Saving mode? If it's the former, go to Settings -> General -> Power mode & startup, do a full shutdown and leave the console for a bit.

Yeah I use Energy Saving mode purposefully to avoid that issue. I have owned an XB1 before.

The stuttering persists, unfortunately.

12 hours ago, Edward850 said:

I'm playing on an Xbox One X and I have this exact same stuttering/frame pacing issue as well. My console is set to energy saving mode, and I never have any other apps running in the background.

Like I said, I mentioned this issue and made several posts about it last year. Another user @Allhailnewflesh also agreed and stated that the PS4 version does not have these same frame pacing issues. The stuttering is as plain as day, and it's not related to the controls or vsync. Just start up the Xbox port of either Doom/Doom 2 and slowly turn in a circle and you should see it.

I really hope @sponge finally notices these posts and takes a look at this issue. It's super distracting and makes the games much less enjoyable on Xbox.

15 hours ago, ChopBlock223 said:

That's odd. Are you running any other apps or games during? Is the game itself updated?

No man, it's a newly formatted console. Game version will be 1.09 as I bought and downloaded the game a couple of days ago

2 hours ago, Diabolución said:

Off-topic: unlike The Maverick013 in the page 20, I actually asked Chris Klie for permission to post this.

3yMz2Cb.png

Thanks for this, pal!

Hope someone finally upload it to /idgames.