Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dubbag

Silent Hill 2, Did I Just Screw Myself?

So IDK how many of you are into this game but I'm playing it for the first time. I really like it so far but here's the thing, I think I'm screwed. Let me explain. I just got to the "Other-world Hospital" having just gotten out of a huge fight with 3  "Flesh Lips" that damaged the shit out of me and used up all of my bullets. This otherworld version of the hospital has like 6 nurses on each floor. I have managed to barely make it to the third floor with the save point in the staircase. Now when I say "I made it" what I really mean is, one hit left, anything hits me once I'm dead. There;s no way I'd have enough bullets to kill them, there are about 4 of them in the third floor and you can't just run around them without getting hit. So here I am just giving it my best trying to just run through and grind this out over the course of like 12 tries. IDK man, I have no healing items and this is it I think. Have I screwed myself over? Should I restart the game? I can't load an earlier save because I save over the same slot each time to save space on my hard drive. I'm playing on normal mode and IDK what else to do .

3 hours ago, jamondemarnatural said:

Turn off you ligth, will help you to outrun monsters

dude I literally just figured that out. I forgot about that. I also just figured out you can block. I didn't know that.

There are a few things you can do to ensure that you're fully prepared at all times:

Never engage enemies on the streets unless it's just a single shot to have more time to get away, and always follow the sidewalks because that's where most healing items and ammo are.

Watch James' head when walking around throughout the game because he points it to items that would otherwise blend in with the scenery.

Use melee weapons as much as possible, unless you know you have enough ammo to go around for a while, or are in a small space with several enemies.

Have at least four save slots to rotate through so you don't have to completely restart if something like this happens. I know this doesn't exactly help your current situation, but it's essential for preventing this from happening.

I usually play on normal difficulty but at that point in the game I'll have over 100 pistol bullets, around 60 shotgun shells, over 20 health drinks and around 10 first aid kits. I'm also probably a bit extra because I'd rather reload a save than use more than one health drink and tend to mostly reserve health and ammo for boss fights.

I think you can salvage the situation if you can run past the nurses or bop them with the plank to slow them down and finish the hospital to get back to the town, but it might not be easy. I know there are a lot of health items and ammo in Rosewater Park and on the sidewalks along the way. Monsters outside are easy enough to avoid.

There's one thing that may be helpful in saving resources at the end of the hospital, but it might spoil things, so I'll put it in spoilers in case you want to avoid it.

Spoiler

Don't shoot or attack Pyramid Head when you're stuck in the room with him. It will seem like forever, but if you can avoid his attacks he will eventually walk away after the alarm sounds. Shooting or not shooting him has no impact on the fight, so it's best to just save ammo unless he gets too close. Shooting will slow him down a little, but it's best to just avoid the fight entirely and run back and forth in the room, putting as much distance as possible between you and him. You can bait him by getting close and running away when he starts to swing at you.

The only reason this is all so fresh is because I just played through it last month, but stopped playing only after getting not too much further than where you are now because of other games. This makes me want to get back into it, so thank you!

Edited by Lippeth

This isn't really a spoiler, but a warning as this may catch you off guard(and is quite cheap on the developers side). I'll make the warning as vague as possible 

Also, do what Lippeth said.

Spoiler

Don't look at the knife!

@Lippeth Got through it, just turned off the flash light and darted past them. Now I have like 60 Shotgun shells 10 health drinks, 8 health kits, and lots of bullets and the great knife. I'm set to go to the hotel now.

Edited by Dubbagdarrel

3 hours ago, Silhou3tte said:

This isn't really a spoiler, but a warning as this may catch you off guard(and is quite cheap on the developers side). I'll make the warning as vague as possible 

Also, do what Lippeth said.

Hide contents

Don't look at the knife!

like don't examine it? The one he wont use?

3 hours ago, Silhou3tte said:

Yes. That one. Do not examine it.

um...I already did. bad ending then I take it or something.

2 minutes ago, Dubbagdarrel said:

um...I already did. bad ending then I take it or something.

One of the factors that contributes to unlocking the bad ending, yes. don't worry there are other items you examine that increase the chances of getting the good ending, same for the bad ending . Just examining one item won't immediately mean you get the bad ending, it determines how many items in the bad ending criteria you examined contributes to the bad ending. Hope this helps(and makes intelligible sense).    

Hope you are enjoying it, Dub!

I remember having a blast through it like 5 years ago when i replayed it.

Silent Hill Saga is made of games that never get old to replay.

I played Silent Hill 1 for PSX like 30 times. On all difficulties.

And you know what?

I never get the katana :/

Unloked all the weapons, the hyper blaster, the chainsaw and the drill, but i didn't know where the fuck the katana was.

3 hours ago, P41R47 said:

Hope you are enjoying it, Dub!

I remember having a blast through it like 5 years ago when i replayed it.

Silent Hill Saga is made of games that never get old to replay.

I played Silent Hill 1 for PSX like 30 times. On all difficulties.

And you know what?

I never get the katana :/

Unloked all the weapons, the hyper blaster, the chainsaw and the drill, but i didn't know where the fuck the katana was.

loving it! I've noticed something weird, when I was younger and played these scary games, they didn't even phase me, now they actually kinda creep me out. It's fun.

17 minutes ago, Dubbagdarrel said:

loving it! I've noticed something weird, when I was younger and played these scary games, they didn't even phase me, now they actually kinda creep me out. It's fun.

yeah, its because they aren't the usual slasher creepy monster survival thing.

Nope, these games touch really adult things and they go down to the inner fears.

Silent Hill 2 takes on a really very touching matter. And that changed games forever.

Team Silent Hill was always ahead of time.

can you believe that just a demo, the famous Playable Teaser (P.T.) of the then upcoming ''Silent Hills'', just a demo of it, led to the actual paradigm of horror games?

For me, even to these days, that is totally mindblowing!

turn off your radio and your light, and if you have the wood plank just spam that on them. They wont be able to react in time

also once you finish the hospital run south of Carroll St. and check around there or health and ammo, and check Rendell St. Munson and Katz St. there should be a lot of health and ammo in those areas

a7f92922bdce2c6d359babfa8aaf0c24.jpg

3 hours ago, P41R47 said:

Nope, these games touch really adult things and they go down to the inner fears.

Silent Hill 2 takes on a really very touching matter. And that changed games forever.

can you believe that just a demo, the famous Playable Teaser (P.T.) of the then upcoming ''Silent Hills'', just a demo of it, led to the actual paradigm of horror games?

oh definitely I really wish that game had been completed. I think what happens is as you get older, you're more in touch with your own mortality and realize how dangerous things actually could be in this world. When your a child you think you're invincible and mom and dad are supposed to protect you so you don't fear as much, all part of growing up I guess

2 minutes ago, Dubbagdarrel said:

oh definitely I really wish that game had been completed. I think what happens is as you get older, you're more in touch with your own mortality and realize how dangerous things actually could be in this world. When your a child you think you're invincible and mom and dad are supposed to protect you so you don't fear as much, all part of growing up I guess

totally, as you say, its when we reach our maturity that we are able to realice not only our mortality, but also the mortality of our dearest.

And so, a lot of inner fears unfold unconsciously.

Down here i will wrote some insight i made after playing the games soo much, read at your own risk:

Spoiler

-Silent Hill 1 made you feel the despair of loosing a child. There even a lot of child-like grotesque creatures that harm you, like, ''its your fault, dad''. And then those strange new born ghost that appear out of nowhere and are harmless but really creep things out. But also, its about love, how Harry love that child sos much that he goes thtough a literal mind blasting hell to save her... somehow.

-Silent hill 2 is about (spoiler, don' read if you didn't completed it already):

Spoiler

its about cope with illness, lust, and more importantly, guilt.

Pyramid Head being an ''executor'' that treated on a seriously awkward sexua manner everything around is not a joke or something just disturbing, its a representation of James inner desires. Its not casual that Maria resembles soo much his own deseased wife, she also acts on a very open sexual manner; she is how James wanted his wife to be.

It is implied that James cheated Mary, his wife, when she was bed bound due to her ilness.

And not only that, James is more than responsable of her death. Even wanting that to happen to be free of the heavy situation and the burden of pain that seeing his wife dying make him feel.

Then Abstract Daddy come into play under the blanket.

-Silent Hill 3 is about aknowledging oneselve action and how them can influence the world around, and how our missbehaviour can be very wrong for others, too.

Its about subjetive responsability, how to deal with it, even when things are being plane to obsesive levels around you.
its also about ending things, to learn to give a finish.

-Silent Hill 4: The Room  is the most abstract of all, as it deals with birth.

Yep, birth; every hole on the game represents a vagina, that gets bigger as you move between the worlds. And you always come out from it on fetal possition.

Ghost ''birthing'' out from walls.

And then Walter own thing about being born from the ''room''.

Rich an imaginative games like these are hard to find on these days.

And we, gamers, are more than prone to deem a game that tries something similar as a ''Silent Hill wannabe''.

Thats why there aren't much games of this kind out there... at least on the big AAA gaming bussines.

Thanks god indie game developers exist, but still, there are just a few:

-Lone Survivor, a one man mega project that its not only hard, its scarier like hell and really difficult to understand the whole picture.

-The Crooked Man, even if it is a crappy Survival horror RPGMaker kinda engine game, its a serious one that needs to be more know.

Really good material there.

Anyway, if you are interested on something similar, but that still has its own feel, try out ''Deadly Premonition''.

I never cried to a game, this one not only make me cry on anguish, but cry on rage and anger, and laugh out loud as no other game ever made me do before.

Don't get fooled about how it looks (like a mediocre PS2 old game when it was released around 2010), the game make use of that aesthetic on purpose.

Its pretty sandboxy, too, as you have a lot of sidequest.

You are just a few hours away from the end of Silent Hill 2, so hope you enjoy that hell of a ride it is. ;)

19 hours ago, P41R47 said:

Silent Hill 2 will always hold a special place in my heart. I remember nagging my father to find a copy that worked. I felt bad about that but the game’s themes of dealing with depression, guilt and shame and letting go of your mistakes helped me better understand myself. I’m sorry if this sounds cheesy but I promise you this is true.

Konami really screwed themselves over by getting rid of team silent, as well as Akira Yamaoka. The series deserves better than pachinko machines.

@P41R47 I totally agree, too many games these days rely on artificial fear like jump scares which is just a startle reflex. This game is excellent at keeping me on edge. The atmosphere and soundtrack are just phenomenal. After playing this I literally don't know why I liked Downpour so much. And can I just say that Maria creeps me the fuck out? Something in her voice or her face. And the monster that bothers me the most is the Mannequins. I'm walking down a dark hallway and then there's just one standing there slowly unveiled by my flash light, I hate that, which is perfect. Makes me not want to go down that hall lol. Great game man.

Edited by Dubbagdarrel

Ok so I beat the game and got "In Water" ending.

29 minutes ago, Dubbagdarrel said:

Ok so I beat the game and got "In Water" ending.

The bad ending. “Leave” is probably the best ending. Hope you enjoyed the game though.