Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Boomslang

My second Wad ever: UACPS STORAGE BASE. one year in the making!

Okay, so back in december 21st 2019 I made this map during school, i had the beginning part all layed out. through the months i started to work on it before school started and stuff. In march i was just about to complete it but then covid hit and i kinda forgot about it, now it's the 16th of december, nearly a year from when i started.

here's the rundown: 

I used Doom2 Boom format, and i tested it on GZdoom, in which it works perfectly, you could find issues with the crispy doom 
sourceport but that's pretty much it.

it's only one map, but it's decently sized and it can get hard at times. Ultraviolence is the original difficulty for the map.
everything's pre-ty vanilla from there.

STORY: you fell asleep in the basement storage, and you wake up to a loud crashing noise, only to find out the base has been overrun
by demons! 

here are some screenies! 

you know what nevermind it's not letting me post images so here's a video of the footage. i'll post screenshots in the comments.

https://www.mediafire.com/file/7j257ydlnbhl37k/UACPS_STORAGEBASE.rar/file here's the link because i have to create a god damn mediafire account for it.

Don't try and upload the images directly to Doom world. Host them on Imgur and then copy and past the image URL (the bit with the png/jpg on the end) into the forum box, it'll automatically put them in as images. You'll be able to post images then.

Just now, OrbitalSpaceGarbage said:

Don't try and upload the images directly to Doom world. Host them on Imgur and then copy and past the image URL (the bit with the png/jpg on the end) into the forum box, it'll automatically put them in as images. You'll be able to post images then.

oh... i hate making so many accounts.

Hey so I played your WAD, and as someone kinda new to this stuff too I thought it might help to weigh in with some of my thoughts.

For context I beat the level in about 15 minutes on HMP with one death to a pinkie that trapped me in a corner in the blue key room. I found 4 out of 6 secrets and killed around half of the monsters.

So firstly, textures. For the most part your texture use was pretty good, worked in the situations you used them for, but there were a few instances of misaligned textures on creates and door tracks that hadn't been lower unpegged. Basic stuff that's easy to miss so just be sure to give these a once over.

I enjoyed the first half of the map quite a bit, very straight forward but the area was interconnected in a nice way and there was a good flow to how the map worked. Some of the rooms had quite cool designs too them and that helped keep them memorable. 

The biggest detractor for me in this one was the hell sections. While they looked pretty cool (albeit a bit too dark at times) the long corridors with lots of monsters in them approach didn't really work for me. It felt more like a chore than anything else. I ended up just running past a lot of the mobs here I'm afraid. I think you kind of realised this might be something people might do at one point, because there's a section where there's a long long line of stim packs just waiting for you to tank damage.

It's also not particularly easy to see where you're meant to go after you get the yellow key, I felt like I found the exit route completely by accident. 

Finally, I quite enjoyed the idea of the car exit, but I was less fond of the last encounter being about 50 revs with zero cover to work with, as with the hell area, I'd have enjoyed fewer enemies with a more challenging encounter design than the en-mass approach - but hey, that's just me. Not a big slaughter guy. Again I just ran past all the enemies here.

There's definitely a lot of good here I think, like I said I enjoyed the first part quite a bit. My next move, if I were to be so bold as to advise one, would be to think about how mob encounters work from a level design perspective, instead of creating simple large spaces and filling them with lots of bad guys. 

Hope my wall of text has been helpful, keep up the good work :)

Edited by OrbitalSpaceGarbage

1 minute ago, OrbitalSpaceGarbage said:

Hey so I played your WAD, and as someone kinda new to this stuff too I thought it might help to weigh in with some of my thoughts.

For context I beat the level in about 15 minutes on HMP with one death to a pinkie that trapped me in a corner in the blue key room. I found 4 out of 6 secrets and killed around half of the monsters.

So firstly, textures. For the most part your texture use was pretty good, worked in the situations you used them for, but there were a few instances of misaligned textures on creates and door tracks that hadn't been lower unpegged. Basic stuff that's easy to miss so just be sure to give these a once over.

I enjoyed the first half of the map quite a bit, very straight forward but the area was interconnected in a nice way and there was a good flow to how the map worked. Some of the rooms had quite cool designs too them and that helped keep them memorable. 

The biggest detractor for me in this one was the hell sections. While they looked pretty cool (albeit a bit too dark at times) the long corridors with lots of monsters in them approach didn't really work for me. It felt more like a chore than anything else. I ended up just running past a lot of the mobs here I'm afraid. It's also not particularly easy to see where you're meant to go after you get the yellow key, I felt like I found the exist route completely by accident. 

Finally, I quite enjoyed the idea of the car exit, but I was less fond of the last encounter being about 50 revs with zero cover to work with, as with the hell area, I'd have enjoyed fewer enemies with a more challenging encounter design than the en-mass approach - but hey, that's just me. Not a big slaughter guy. Again I just ran past all the enemies here.

There's definitely a lot of good here I think, like I said I enjoyed the first part quite a bit. My next move, if I were to be so bold as to advise one, would be to think about how mob encounters work from a level design perspective, instead of creating simple large spaces and filling them with lots of bad guys. 

Hope my wall of text has been helpful, keep up the good work :)

did you get the bfg? 

2 minutes ago, Boomslang said:

did you get the bfg? 

The one that you get...

Spoiler

...using he teleporter in the middle of the lava pool?

I did, yes. But only after I'd collected the yellow key.

1 minute ago, OrbitalSpaceGarbage said:

The one that you get...

Hide contents

...using he teleporter in the middle of the lava pool?

I did, yes. But only after I'd collected the yellow key.

well the trick is to lead the revanants out of the way of the exit, and then running to it. if you find the secret, there's a megasphere.

13 minutes ago, OrbitalSpaceGarbage said:

also, i knew i should've put a fucking big red arrow near the exit.

28 minutes ago, Clippy said:

you would've gotten 100% if you found the bfg secret

the BFG in the begining is the fake one, the real one is in the "heart" of the demon's lair.

and you forgot to go back to the flesh room.

thanks for playin!

9 hours ago, Boomslang said:

oh... i hate making so many accounts.

You don't actually have to make an account in order to create a post on Imgur. The main downside of the platform is that you can't refresh the post page without losing access to the embed links, so just be aware of that. I also used to upload images directly to the forum, and panicked when I ran out of space since I was busy doing daily image-heavy writeups for the DWMC at the time. Thankfully, Imgur is a very painless and intuitive solution, so I haven't had any real issues since. Just don't try uploading 30+ images at once, like I did the other day ;)