Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
AtticTelephone

The Hunt for Soda Community Megawad Dev Thread.

This is the thread relating to the THFS Community Megawad, about a space marine (not Doomguy, Sodaguy), who has to avenge his fellow marines after the demons invaded Earth again and took all of his and his friends' soda. It is currently unfinished, and is in development, and nobody knows if it will be compatible with different source-ports (I suggest Boom/MBF and not GZDoom). The wad is inspired by the beginner levels by @The BMFG, but had become a community megawad after a couple of inspired maps.

Rules:

• There must be a large amount of health bonuses/armor bonuses in the level.
  • The final compilation will feature the Soda Can Bonus sprite pack, armor bonuses have not been given sprites yet.
  • Maps must at least look and play as good as a Doom II level or better.
  • It has not been discussed whether the levels that BMFG made should stay or be replaced, but a more balanced MAP01 has been made.
  • Doomguy and Sodaguy are completely different people.
  • Map names should have a pun that mentions soda or related drinks (energy drinks and such).
Maps:
1: Fizz Fury, recreation of the first THFS level by BMFG, 90% done, only needs polishing and bugfixing. By me.
2-12: Empty.
13: Untested, but assumed to be done. By @AvadaKedavraWithQuadDamage.
14: Untested and has not been playtested enough. By BMFG.
15-31: Empty.
32: Dew of the Divine, green/Mountain Dew themed level, and features no health bonuses, only armor bonuses. 15% done, starting area incomplete. By me, again.

If you are interested, get a drink of your choice (preferably pop) and get your mapping tools, they're gonna pay for taking your carbonated consumables.

5 minutes ago, AtticTelephone said:

This is the thread relating to the THFS Community Megawad, about a space marine (not Doomguy, Sodaguy), who has to avenge his fellow marines after the demons invaded Earth again and took all of his and his friends' soda. It is currently unfinished, and is in development, and nobody knows if it will be compatible with different source-ports (I suggest Boom/MBF and not GZDoom). The wad is inspired by the beginner levels by @The BMFG, but had become a community megawad after a couple of inspired maps.

Rules:

• There must be a large amount of health bonuses/armor bonuses in the level.
  • The final compilation will feature the Soda Can Bonus sprite pack, armor bonuses have not been given sprites yet.
  • Maps must at least look and play as good as a Doom II level or better.
  • It has not been discussed whether the levels that BMFG made should stay or be replaced, but a more balanced MAP01 has been made.
  • Doomguy and Sodaguy are completely different people.
  • Map names should have a pun that mentions soda or related drinks (energy drinks and such).
Maps:
1: Fizz Fury, recreation of the first THFS level by BMFG, 90% done, only needs polishing and bugfixing. By me.
2-12: Empty.
13: Untested, but assumed to be done. By @AvadaKedavraWithQuadDamage.
14: Untested and has not been playtested enough. By BMFG.
15-31: Empty.
32: Dew of the Divine, green/Mountain Dew themed level, and features no health bonuses, only armor bonuses. 15% done, starting area incomplete. By me, again.

If you are interested, get a drink of your choice (preferably pop) and get your mapping tools, they're gonna pay for taking your carbonated consumables.

sorry about barely playtesting my map lol but i think im actually still making maps for my soda wad so i do think we should keep it going because i am to soon release more maps for the right now atleast 4 map soda wad made by me so yes i do think we should keep the original going

Just now, The BMFG said:

sorry about barely playtesting my map lol but i think im actually still making maps for my soda wad so i do think we should keep it going because i am to soon release more maps for the right now atleast 4 map soda wad made by me so yes i do think we should keep the original going

The problem is that your maps aren't very good, the solution is that they act more as templates for other mappers, technically.

2 minutes ago, AtticTelephone said:

The problem is that your maps aren't very good, the solution is that they act more as templates for other mappers, technically.

okay i guess but im still gonna be making and releasing maps for the original soda wad if thats fine with you?

12 minutes ago, The BMFG said:

okay i guess but im still gonna be making and releasing maps for the original soda wad if thats fine with you?

Yeah, that's ok.

Yeah, that's ok.

Thanks! making the 6th map rn already done with map 05 one of map 06's rooms has a interesting gimmick 

Now this is a WAD I could actually see myself making something for. Do I need to claim a spot or just submit something?

Edited by OrbitalSpaceGarbage

ive never been a part of a community project before, so ill contribute.

question, is one person going to add the soda sprites to the health bonuses? or is everybody going to add it themselves?

1 minute ago, Deathclaw886 said:

ive never been a part of a community project before, so ill contribute.

question, is one person going to add the soda sprites to the health bonuses? or is everybody going to add it themselves?

We don't have to yet, we're working on the levels and not the soda sprites yet. I have thought about custom monsters, but I think only the Kick Attack series has soda-themed ones. In fact, imagine the reason they stole the soda was to power their machines and create demons with it.

another question, how high is your expectations when it comes to level design? im an amateur mapper [although not as amateur as bmfg] 

i can make a decent level.

Just now, Deathclaw886 said:

another question, how high is your expectations when it comes to level design? im an amateur mapper [although not as amateur as bmfg] 

i can make a decent level.

As good as a Scythe map, or at least a TNT map.

3 minutes ago, AtticTelephone said:

We don't have to yet, we're working on the levels and not the soda sprites yet. I have thought about custom monsters, but I think only the Kick Attack series has soda-themed ones. In fact, imagine the reason they stole the soda was to power their machines and create demons with it.

my original story was that they stole all the soda because all they had in hell was lava and they were a bit thirsty but soda guy had a huge craving and decided to kill them all 

1 minute ago, The BMFG said:

my original story was that they stole all the soda because all they had in hell was lava and they were a bit thirsty but soda guy had a huge craving and decided to kill them all 

I still think making soda demons and machines would be cooler, and also maybe to drink it.

I still think making soda demons and machines would be cooler, and also maybe to drink it.

i do think that would be cooler too but unless one of us wants to make and code one ourselves there arent that many soda monsters available

i would like a recreation of map 03 of THFS Classic i did think the idea of busting soda dealers in their apartments was cool and funny? i would like to see like a drug dealer imp enemy since most of the "dealers" in the map were just imps

5 minutes ago, The BMFG said:

a demonstration of my submission since you said it has not been tested by you yet :  

No, sorry, you need to watch some tutorials. It also has stealth monsters, and this is probably going to be Boom/MBF, not ZDoom. It might be used as a template however.

1 minute ago, AtticTelephone said:

No, sorry, you need to watch some tutorials. It also has stealth monsters, and this is probably going to be Boom/MBF, not ZDoom. It might be used as a template however.

i guess thats fine i will just release new maps for THFS classic then

3 minutes ago, AtticTelephone said:

wait, hold on. i need to make this on prboom+ or something? does this mean if i use it in GZDoom hexen format, that the doors wont work, or there will be missing textures or something?

im not getting prboom+ so........ what?

also i am not changing how i edit things

Just now, Deathclaw886 said:

wait, hold on. i need to make this on prboom+ or something? does this mean if i use it in GZDoom hexen format, that the doors wont work, or there will be missing textures or something?

im not getting prboom+ so........ what?

Test with GZDoom on Boom/MBF compatibility.

1 minute ago, Deathclaw886 said:

also, i think that we should have all of bmfgs levels in this megawad, the whole soda theme was HIS idea after all.

Not unless they have doors that are chunkier than mancubi, rooms that can only fit 4 mancubi, and have stealth monsters. They would have to be redone, like what I did with MAP01 of THFS Classic and turned it into Fizz Fury.

Not unless they have doors that are chunkier than mancubi, rooms that can only fit 4 mancubi, and have stealth monsters. They would have to be redone, like what I did with MAP01 of THFS Classic and turned it into Fizz Fury.

chunky doors or not, we need to have his levels in this project.

and what is your animosity towards GZDoom? i truly dont understand it.

10 minutes ago, Deathclaw886 said:

chunky doors or not, we need to have his levels in this project.

and what is your animosity towards GZDoom? i truly dont understand it.

I think that if this was Boom/MBF compatible, more people with different ports would want to try it, since GZDoom levels only work with GZDoom and ZDoom levels with ZDoom, while Boom levels run with a bunch of source ports. However, I think MAYBE if it was ZDoom compatible (not GZDoom, that would be too much), it would be fine.

Also, the reason those levels might not make it into THFS Community Edition is because I would rather have similar versions of the levels BMFG made, but improved both aesthetically and gameplay-wise. As I said before, they could be used like blueprints, since they would feel a bit out of place with the other levels that people would submit. Also, for some reason I just had the idea of a level that's just MAP01 of THFS Classic, but then it does a Warrens, and becomes way way different, but I'm not sure.