Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Catpho

DBP19: A Doomer Boards Christmas Carol

RC2 is here, folks! (and especially @Catpho ;) )

Numerous little bugfixes for softlocks, multiplayer compatibility, and so forth. We also have a proper send off now in MAP25, featuring some bonus carnage for the truly curious and committed.

Edited by Big Ol Billy

I've played through the whole thing today, and it's a fantastic set.

I'm stuck at Map14 at the end. The door in sector 594 didn't open for me. Am I missing something?

55 minutes ago, GarrettChan said:

Am I missing something?

I'm sorry Garrett, you can only finish map14 when you play it on Christmas, in around 327 days! Ha, ha!

Spoiler

The path to the exit is blocked by bars. Half of the bars lower when you use the switch in the far north (linedef 4932). The other half of the bars lower when you collect the plasma rifle Thing 509 near one of the bell towers. Careful, Cyberneezer Scrooge doesn't want you to get into the exit area and has sent lots of nasty enemies to stop you!

Your punishment for such disgraceful performance on DBP19 Christmas Carol is to play the entire wad blindfolded, singing Christmas Carols until you get it right!

On 2/2/2020 at 2:33 AM, tmorrow said:

Reveal hidden contents

The path to the exit is blocked by bars. Half of the bars lower when you use the switch in the far north (linedef 4932). The other half of the bars lower when you collect the plasma rifle Thing 509 near one of the bell towers. Careful, Cyberneezer Scrooge doesn't want you to get into the exit area and has sent lots of nasty enemies to stop you!

Strange it doesn't open for me. I checked on the map, the door in mentioned didn't have any trigger associated with it, and I can't find anything to open it. Maybe I used the wrong version? Or can you show me a picture about how I can open it?

Hmm! My bad Garrett. I thought your trouble was with the bars. Maybe I should be punished and have to play blindfolded, singing Christmas Carols! :-)

I think I have the correct answer this time. That door is marked "Santa Inc.". Since you are not an employee of Santa Inc., you are not permitted to enter! Heh, heh, heh!

Spoiler

Sector 594 is using tag 666, which is one of the map specials that usually can only be used on maps 07,32 in doom2 or any other map that has Commander Keen's. In DBP19, the bell towers replace Commander Keen's and there are 4 of them strewn around the map. You have to shoot all 4 bells (they ring once shot, so you know when you've done each one).

Now for your insolence Garrett, as well as playing DBP19 blindfolded and singing carols, you have to play running backwards as well!

14 minutes ago, xvertigox said:

@GarrettChan Check that you're running RC2. It's just been tested and worked fine. If you are running RC2 you might have missed a bell.

Oh, this might be the case since I am usually stuck when I failed to see a bell.

Finished this today. It's a great collection of maps! Really liked the theme and style of it, and the music is festive and very fitting of course... I think this would be perfect to return to during the holiday season next year. Thanks a lot to everyone involved!

By the way:

Spoiler

Map25 is unbeatable, right? I managed to initiate the spawns, but holy hell, there is no way to beat all those guys, right? I even tried cheating and clearing the map, but couldn't find an exit after that. Did I miss something?

Thanks for the comment @mmww! Map25 is indeed unbeatable. It's suppose to gate progression into the IWAD levels and be a cute little sendoff. Hope that chirstmas treat is enough ;)

No problem @Catpho! Okay, that makes sense! It's a nice touch!

Spoiler

The damn arch-viles did me in ;)

Yep, although I did actually max MAP25 once (just once!) with a lot of effort and save-scumming. But the slaughter is its own reward (or punishment) in this case. Glad you enjoyed! XD

Since we're only one month away from December 2020, would it be possible if ADBCC will finally be released on idgames?

Cyb's Freaky Colonoscopy and Occult Secrets of the Third Reich on Mars are still waiting for their time to shine on idgames. :)

They’re next up in the finalizing queue, don’t worry!

2021 goals: lead a project where build time isn’t “1 week for resource compilation; 4 weeks for mapping, sequencing, and playtesting; 1 additional year to add difficulty settings to one map and figure out why a midtex on an invisible blocking wall doesn’t show up in GZDoom.” :P

Might be lucky and have this to play in the DWMC, too, so this is great timing on a fresh version!

In celebration of the Christmas season, the official idgames release of the wad, and the inclusion of DBP19 in the DWMC, I would like to present my 13 episode playthrough of DBP19. Each night, starting today, until Christmas Day a new episode will premiere. It includes storytelling poems at the start of each episode and UVMax playthroughs with Pistol Starts.

I hope you enjoy the series, as it took some effort to put together. Episodes should unlock at 6PM EST and at 6AM EST Christmas Morning.

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Edited by ABearInThaWoods

Is there a way to reach this secret? I don't know any other way aside from that arch-vile jump to reach it. I thought there was supposed to be a switch that I need to press or shoot or walk somewhere that triggers access to it. The secret is marked at 25:44 where the BFG, megasphere, and invulnerability powerups are.