Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Archfiend

What source ports are acceptable for speedrunners?

I've played DOOM for a while, but I recently took up an interest in speedrunning. I absolutely love the movement and pacing of this game, and watching speedrunners compete and break records is always super entertaining. I tried speedrunning E1M1 on UV with fast monsters and managed to get my time down from 13 to 11 after several dozen attempts, and even though it wasn't exactly a world record, it was still super fun. But anyways, I was wondering which ports are allowed for speedruns. I was using Crispy Doom because it was easier to use the mouse than in, say, Chocolate Doom, and WASD works. I assume Chocolate Doom is allowed, and ports like GZDoom aren't.

Also, this is less important, but if anyone has some tips on how to start practicing speedrunning, I'd appreciate it!

Any port with demo recording and playback capabilities, such as Chocolate Doom, Crispy, PrBoom, and Eternity.

Any port with proper demo support is fine. Thus, Prboom Plus is pretty overwhelmingly the speedrunning port of choice as it has demo support for almost all of the common formats. For vanilla stuff, you can also use Chocolate, Crispy, Eternity, etc.

I think there's an implicit requirement that any demos produced should be 100% "vanilla compatible" as well, i.e. you can play them back in vanilla with no desyncs whatsoever, no matter what you used to record them. So that narrow down the list of "acceptable" source ports somewhat, otherwise people would regularly use even ZDoom for demos.

In practice, that means Chocolate Doom (and most of its derivatives, as well) and prBoom+.

16 minutes ago, Maes said:

any demos produced should be 100% "vanilla compatible"

and Boom/MBF-compatible depending on the wad's format, right?

If you haven't already chosen a sourceport you like, then dsda-doom or prboom+ are the best place to start. Vanilla compatible when that's needed, and Boom, MBF, and other things compatible when that's needed.

Crispy and Chocolate are great options too if you're only going for vanilla/limit removing stuff. Eternity is definitely compatible, but lots less people using that one.

GZDoom *is* allowed, however only if the WAD requires ZDoom features (and it's generally ruled to turn dynamic lights off as they can give away secrets. This is mostly a rule in ironman/first playthrough competitions)

If you want to go absolutely nuts hardcore, then Compet-N rules: Doom2.exe or Doom.exe, and that's your lot :P

If you play on DOS, you will get things like TASMBF or TASDOOM. @Redneckerz

TASMBF and TASDOOM are for Tool Assisted Speedruns, so won't be allowed for human runs (maybe you can set settings for those though). If you are playing on DOS then the original DOS exe is probably the best option, but that's likely more of a pain than using Chocolate on a modern system really. Kinda fun to do in DOSBox once just to see how lucky we are to have the amazing sourceports we do :3

TL;DR: To be safe, prboom/dsda-doom with whatever -complevel the WAD says to use is the more one stop shop version, else you can use Chocolate/Crispy for vanilla/limit removals.

6 hours ago, dmslr said:

and Boom/MBF-compatible depending on the wad's format, right?

I think that's what he implied with the quotes around vanilla compatibility since BOOM/MBF demo compatible ports replicate everything vanilla DOOM can (hence the reason they can play back vanilla demos).

16 hours ago, seed said:

Any port with demo recording and playback capabilities, such as Chocolate Doom, Crispy, PrBoom, and Eternity.

I saw a lot of recommendations for PRBoom+ when I tried researching this. I just downloaded it and set it up. I also managed to find a post detailing how to record demos with it, so I'm all set. Thanks!