Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Doomkid

Most overdone/played-out Doom arguments?

Most overdone/played-out Doom arguments?  

278 members have voted

1. 1. Which arguments are you the MOST tired of?

• Arguments about Brutal Doom
    • Arguments about slaughtermaps
    • Arguments about which source port is the best
    • Arguments about GZDoom / Graf in general
    • Arguments about whether or not Doom is 3D
    • Arguments about which stock maps are best/worst
    • Arguments not related to Doom shitting up Doom sites/boards
    • Arguments about what is or isn't "truly Doomy" (mostly pertaining to custom maps/wads)
    • Arguments about difficulty settings in general / Ultra-Violence being "true Doom"
    • Arguments about whether or not “Doom is Dying!!”

We had the Doom is/isn't 3D argument on 3 different active threads a couple of weeks back...

I miss "Arguments/threads about most overdone/played-out Doom arguments".

Slightly more serious: Arguments on how to work with DeHacked and source port lists.

Edited by Redneckerz

Arguments about the original levels for sure. Since most people in this community played the original levels, I think it's only natural that it's the easiest and most common point of discussion.

19 minutes ago, seed said:

how it's meant to be played and on what difficulty

Great suggestion, I'll add it to the poll even though 14 people have already voted.

I picked the "stock maps" option, as I think we all know Slaughter is shit, so we don't need to have the argument ;) Likewise, UV is the only difficulty, and we're all agreed one that! :D

Seriously, though, I think we've talked about the base game to the extent that it's been done to death. The number of head canon and "lore" posts positing the most random of shit is excessive at this point, so getting into the minutiae of the stock stuff where we all have a common point of reference is incredibly tiresome. I think there isn't a single new opinion to tell us. Somebody has gone to bat for every stock map, no matter how heinous it is and equally we've all heard about how everything is shit.

Worse than all of that, though, and one that I think is missing from the poll, is the "The Doom Community is Doomed" phenomenon, where some random newbie will tell us that the end is nigh and Doom is dying. There should be some sort of forum rule stating that Doom is not dying and if ever it does, our crustiest elder will be the one to let us know.

Edited by Phobus

3 minutes ago, Phobus said:

Worse than all of that, though, and one that I think is missing from the poll, is the "The Doom Community is Doomed" phenomenon, where some random newbie will tell us that the end is nigh and Doom is dying. There should be some sort of forum rule stating that Doom is not dying and if ever it does, our crustiest elder will be the one to let us know.

I just point and laugh...

Arguments about cacowards, ports, users, mods, how you must play, what you must play, 2D or 3D, comparison between doom vs other fps games, no filter/trilinear filter usage, what maps are better and worse.

We can have 1000 arguments about every single aspect of Doom, outside and inside and still love the game. Fuck it.

The Brutal Doom arguments, because they are based on your personal tastes and thus will never fucking end. Personally I'm more of a Project Brutality guy.

The 3D argument. Comes back more times than a zombie and is just as dead. Doom is 3D! Stop resurrecting this abomination!

The "Doom is dying!" chicken little nonsense. Almost always it's someone who only recently joined the forum who say this. Why?! It's obviously untrue.

Some of that and some of those but what I am really tired of is There are many good old topic made in this forum but who am I talking to ?

Please, use search bar more often if you have a topic in your mind. So we can prevent same topic pop-up over and over again.

Added the Chicken Little “Doom is Dying” phenomenon, sorry for the constant revisions but this one just HAD to go in.

Arguments about Modern Doom games and id's current relationship to Bethesda, as well as how that allegedly affects/ed id.

1 hour ago, Fireseth said:

"Ultra Violence is really the ideal way to play Doom"

- GmanLives

............He ain't wrong, specially with the original levels. The more demons, the better. The levels feel empty in enemies on lower difficulties, and it's not like they're hard anyways.

1 hour ago, dmslr said:

Doomworld's opinion on the topics:

Reveal hidden contents

Play however your want.

Slaughtermaps are good. You are free not to play them.

Every port has its own purpose. There's no "best" port.

GZDoom is as good as other ports. Leave it and Graf alone.

Doom is 3D with limitations of the engine.

The answer is subjective.

(no idea what to say)

• Arguments about what is or isn't "truly Doomy" (mostly pertaining to custom maps/wads)

Play however you want.

• Arguments about difficulty settings in general / Ultra-Violence being "true Doom"

Play however you want.

More like your opinions on the topic.

8 minutes ago, Juza said:

More like your opinions on the topic.

I've read dozens of discussions here and can say with confidence this is the opinion of most of the active users.

I am sick of arguments shitting on custom wads along with DOOM IS DEAD. The rest are all ok, ok maybe Doom is 2D can get very annoying when the people discussing it have the technical skills of a bulldozer. 

2 hours ago, dmslr said:

Doomworld's opinion on the topics:

Hide contents

Play however your want.

Slaughtermaps are good. You are free not to play them.

Every port has its own purpose. There's no "best" port.

GZDoom is as good as other ports. Leave it and Graf alone.

Doom is 3D with limitations of the engine.

The answer is subjective.

(no idea what to say)

Play however you want.

Play however you want.

That pretty much sums it up.

It's  a game and anyone should be free to play and enjoy any play style or genre of map they choose.

My vote was for 'is Doom 3D' but could be any of them really.

1 hour ago, kwc said:

These threads.

image.png.04a3fa908805284d97225543211d2a91.png
image.png.f1aef15464b2f6889bc7615a56c36332.png

"What's the worst best, most ultra greatest top 100 hardest, ridiculous hated, underrated legally, annoyingly and coolest hardcore mapsets that has slaughter theme with 69420 revenants and 1337 archviles in their count".

Threads about source ports can still be useful to newer members, even though it can be tiring to old members. I didn't know anything about sourceports other than GZDoom before I joined here. 

2 minutes ago, paturn said:

Threads about source ports can still be useful to newer members, even though it can be tiring to old members. I didn't know anything about sourceports other than GZDoom before I joined here. 

Troubleshooting threads related to ports are pretty useful indeed. That much I can agree. 

What I can't be usually agreed are the arguments about ports, some annoying comparisons and the hate towards the developers of those ports and, personally, it annoys the fuck out of me. I'm not a coder myself but I can imagine having a royal pain in the ass to improve their ports for us players to enjoy the game.

brutal doom. definitely brutal doom. every single goddamn discussion is the same and it makes me want to tear my eyes out.

Delivery boys / girls of licences of real / true Doomer.

Whilst that the ZDoom-based ports are not my favourite ports... that they are not true engines based on id Tech 1, but engines that happen to play Doom and the rest of id Tech games.

And of course the bikeshedding, but then Doomworld without bikeshedding would not be Doomworld. But I am not the one to criticise that...