Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Martin Howe

Anyone into astronomy? (Saturn/Jupiter)

Missed it here, was cloudy rainy all day.

I'll occassionally check from some astronomy map what some bright spot in the sky was. Also like space documents on tv, which I've usually watched together with my mom when I've visited my parents.

Great pictures! Even got the moons of Jupiter in there. Didn't see shit here in Hertfordshire, I'd heard that the cloud was supposed to clear up by nightfall yesterday but even now there's not a single gap in the clouds. Typical! Guess I'll have to wait until 2080, I might just make it...

I've loved Astronomy since I was 6, but unfortunately, winters here are often cold, cloudy, snowy, and crappy in general.

But I do get a total solar eclipse in April of 2024! And so help me god if it's cloudy that day, I'm going to fucking scream.

I saw them last night! I'm in the desert so there's always a good view of the night sky. I had to use binoculars to see that it was more than just a small burst of light due to astigmatism. Great photos!

4 hours ago, Dark Pulse said:

But I do get a total solar eclipse in April of 2024! And so help me god if it's cloudy that day, I'm going to fucking scream.

Yeah, that is certainly a frustrating experience: I have had one TSE clouded out (2008), and another (2017) with a clear sky. Don't believe people who try to put a brave face on seeing a clouded one: it just sucks. If not for COVID, I might have been in Chile for the one a week ago, and just seen dark cloud. So kind of a silver lining.

For 2024, if you're keen to see corona (the sun's, I mean) have a plan for what you'll do if it looks like the weather isn't going to be favourable: where you might drive that has a better record cloud-wise, bearing in mind that accommodation will be booked-up and all roads from population centres to the line of totality will be clogged. And be ready to be mobile on the day of the eclipse itself.

I didn't get to see the conjunction, unfortunately, as here (MN) we've had several days of cloud - a little unusual as normally the weather does whatever it's going to do and then the sky clears. Oh well. Nice photos with the moons and stuff.

2 hours ago, Grazza said:

Yeah, that is certainly a frustrating experience: I have had one TSE clouded out (2008), and another (2017) with a clear sky. Don't believe people who try to put a brave face on seeing a clouded one: it just sucks. If not for COVID, I might have been in Chile for the one a week ago, and just seen dark cloud. So kind of a silver lining.

For 2024, if you're keen to see corona (the sun's, I mean) have a plan for what you'll do if it looks like the weather isn't going to be favourable: where you might drive that has a better record cloud-wise, bearing in mind that accommodation will be booked-up and all roads from population centres to the line of totality will be clogged. And be ready to be mobile on the day of the eclipse itself.

I didn't get to see the conjunction, unfortunately, as here (MN) we've had several days of cloud - a little unusual as normally the weather does whatever it's going to do and then the sky clears. Oh well. Nice photos with the moons and stuff.

The line of totality literally passes directly over my hometown. Hell, the line of totality's middle passes literally a block away from my house!

Can't really go to the southwest due to Lake Erie, or the Northeast due to Lake Ontario. I'd literally have to go to, like, Quebec or Ohio to get a "second chance" to view it. (There is Rochester, but odds are if we'd be cloudy, so will they.)

Unfortunatly it was a very cloudy night, so couldn't use the telescope. But I still saw it with my naked eye!

@Mistyit was the same but it was raining at the south of this country when a total solar eclipse happened last week lmao...

About the conjunction, I wasn't able to watch it for....well.....reasons.

My brother and I try to see these things when we can and were just able to see Saturn/Jupiter (though a tad late for the conjunction obv)

One of my favorite college classes was astronomy and we did a project where we made astrolabes and charted planets/stars and then used that data to plot a map of these objects in the solar system which I thought was awesome.

I went to an event for the 2012 transit of Venus in the area. There were a ton of high-powered filtered telescopes which was awesome. I even got my picture in the paper just for stating at it with those paper glasses.

It was cloudy where I live, which is a shame as on clear nights you can see the stars beautifully right in my yard.

A couple years ago when there was that total solar eclipse in the U.S. I was able to catch part of it by looking through a welding helmet. It was only a partial eclipse where I live so the sky didn't get any darker, I just saw the moon move across the bottom of the sun without completely blocking it.