Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Stealthy Ivan

DooM 3 music

I wish they would use a bunch of good death and black metal bands, as the new music for doom3... It would fit so well, killing demons and all that blood, gore and disembowelment, listening to sick ass music would rule. It would be better then trent reznor's whatever you call it.....
but hey this is just my opinion, im not trying to control your thoughts...

As far as I know there won't be any music, except in cutscenes.
The ambient stuff going on around you already makes your skin crawl.

Heh, dude, you don't want hard metal and all that shit for a FPS that is supposed to be scary, you want moody quiet tracks that inspire REAL terror.

Ideally i'd like doom3 to have something science fiction-ish. don't mean cheesy scienc-fiction-ish like the crap they knocked up in the old days. Maybe something like aliens (anyone played aliens trilogy? That had some gripping music, and creepy too).

Yet from what i've heard, doom3 can do ok without music. I'm just preying that i don't hear the "Weee, Weee, Weee, Weee,!" tune when a demon shows it's face.

Stealthy Ivan said:

I wish they would use a bunch of good death and black metal bands

Of course, some people (not me) would argue that there aren't any.

The problem with providing a specific style of music is that it will only suit a small number of people, and bug the snot out of the rest. Think about it. If you have a million selling single (a pretty big success) how many people heard your music, but didn't like it enough to buy it? How many of them thought "it sucked"? How many ill informed "schoolies" would sit around calling you a wanker, saying you were "shit" and discussing your sexuality simply on the strength of your music?

A game that had a music style that annoyed me would bug me shitless if I had to put up with it for hours. The easy ways round this are blandness and generic music, or no music. I'm not sure either of those are prefereble to a bold choice though.

As it is, I think Trent will do a good job.

My thoughts on the music: There should obviously be ambient stuff most of the time, but maybe in boss battles or major fights, turn the volume up a notch...

omg a new thread?
I am, btw, confident that Trent will create something good!
The two "tracks" in the alpha are great anyways.

Hockey_R00lz said:

i'm shore doom3 music is good but hockey music is better

Too bad you are a prank.

Gawd, I'm like, sooo close to send this piece of trash to Hell, not just because it has been discussed to death, but also because of the low IQ of the first post.

But I guess, I had better let it live for a while.

Anyways. Afaik, Doom 3 will have music playing in certain events, but most of the time, there will be no music. So kinda like Half Life, which I guess is the ultimate compromise.

dsm said:

Gawd, I'm like, sooo close to send this piece of trash to Hell, not just because it has been discussed to death, but also because of the low IQ of the first post.

Go figure...Let the new-school newbie invasion begin.

I find that ambient noise > music for the mood it gives. But while fighting bosses, a good hard/metal music is better than some creepy noises.

BBG said:

Heh, dude, you don't want hard metal and all that shit for a FPS that is supposed to be scary, you want moody quiet tracks that inspire REAL terror.

I second that.
Sealthy Ivan you should shut up before the Mods break you in two.

Stealthy Ivan said:

Im not new school and im not a newbie... thank you very much. So you can take you negitive comments and shove them...

Dude, heh, here is a tip. Take everything negative people say with a grain of salt, that way, you don't start fighting and gain unwanted attention.

dsm said:

Anyways. Afaik, Doom 3 will have music playing in certain events, but most of the time, there will be no music. So kinda like Half Life, which I guess is the ultimate compromise.

I hope so. But, comprimise? Eh?

Anyway, I never used the music in HL. I turn off the music in most FPS games. I left it on in Serious Sam, cos it was useful, being dynamic, and it set you up for a big fight. But as there's not going to be huge battles like that in Doom3, I feel that there should only be ambient noise, and no "music tracks" at all. (even if they are "ambient").

AirRaid said:

But as there's not going to be huge battles like that in Doom3, I feel that there should only be ambient noise, and no "music tracks" at all. (even if they are "ambient").

This is where I disagree.
There might not be any 20-enemies-on-screen battles, but the action is hectic enough at times - Hectic enough to allow for more than ambience, and I absolutely hate when ambience steals all parts of the musical score.

And FPS is primarily an action game - Doom 3 is no exception from this rule even though it does have heavy focus on scare factor.

Trasher][ said:
Well, listening to Trent Resnor's work with NIN, I think we're in safe hands.

We're doomed.

Arioch said:

We're doomed.

Well, someone's been sleeping in the "Doom 3 history" lessons - it's old news that Trent Reznor started working for id on Doom 3 ;-P

At any rate, id was looking for some new sound guy a while ago - I don't remember if it became official that Reznor was no longer working for id or whether it just remained speculation.

BBG said:

Dude, heh, here is a tip. Take everything negative people say with a grain of salt, that way, you don't start fighting and gain unwanted attention.

Right, especially when said "negative person" was only using a bit of icy sarcasm. Didn't mean to ruin your day over it, but it's pretty much an established fact around here that a large fraction of DW newbies seem to hold rather ridiculous ideas, such as deathmetal making Doom more frightening. Remember, I said a FRACTION, not ALL. The only thing we here at DW ask is that members at least put some thought into their posts BEFORE they go and post them, ESPECIALLY if it concerns a subject as "beat to hell" as this one. Somehow I don't think the Mods appreciate it when every week there is a new thread about "What kind of music do you think the new Doom should have?" and when they open it it is just another rant by another newbie wanting deathmetal, etc., in a horror/scifi fps.

As far as MY opinion goes, I think the game's tracks will be fine, especially after experiencing the alpha. Now, whether or not that all changes due to Id possibly changing sound guys, remains to be seen...

D3 with death/heavy metal music = pure shit.

Just to clarify, I have nothing against that kinda music, even though I ain't particularly into it. But its just not for Doom. But if u really can't live without it, turn the music in the game off and play some of that shit on your stereo.

DAMN YO? How many times I gotta say this? "PSX" version of DOOM, N64 version of DOOM! Music soundtracks from both movies "ALIEN" and "ALIENS" by JAMES HORNER. SHEEESSHHH!!!

i agreed with Trasher][ and Darkstalker here.
Ambient sound will fit in DOOM`s horror sci-fi setting.and Boss battle do need adrenaline-pumping music.Serious Sam music was good in this field.

If/When there's a Cyberdemon fight... dead silence.

You're stalking through the base, and you come to a large, open area. bodies strewn all over the floor, some still moving, still gibbering insanities in pure terror. Screams could be heard in the background. The ambience is incredible.

Then - You hear something faint. A familiar, repetitive organ tone. Building slowly... The music from the Tower Of Babel, Episode 2. It's different, more a voice in your head than a soundtrack, but unmistakenably the same. As the realisation sinks in, you feel the ground shake beneath your feet, and then boom... boom... boom.. boom... It rounds the corner and sees you. Some of the people still clinging for their life scream in terror as they realise it's come back. Weeping is heard as the tune reaches a cresendo -- the battle begins.

(I think there's a place for both. The boss battles need that Bobby Price-esque style of music again. Oh the coolness.)

TastyWheat said:

Then - You hear something faint. A familiar, repetitive organ tone. Building slowly... The music from the Tower Of Babel, Episode 2. It's different, more a voice in your head than a soundtrack, but unmistakenably the same.

If they make a remix of that track, they gotta make it far cooler. You just reminded me of that *one* Doom 1 track I hate the most - it's not frightening, it's not cool, it's just annoying.

They should make it more panic-inspiring this time, more evil and sinister.

Death Metal?? WTF is scary about death metal?

I think it should be like a movie. Full orchestra.
Nothing can build tense like an orchestra can. Say for example, in the Lord of The Rings Movie when the black riders (RingWraiths) appear on their horses in slow motion, they let out a roar and the orchestra kick in etc... Just an example and Just my opinion.

Dubh said:

Death Metal?? WTF is scary about death metal?

Nothing, absolutely nothing. It's not at all good for even action-focused FPSs.
Industrial is good for action-oriented moments, but for the most part, it should be ambient in Doom 3. Ochestrial ambient would also be good imo.

The ultimate Doom 3 sound track (keeping in mind that music only plays in specific situations) would imo, be a little bit of industrial for the most action-oriented situations, some creepy ambient in most other 'special' situations, typically the ones that need to build up some fright, and perhaps a few ochestrial tense-building tracks.

That imo would be cool, plus, it'd be more true to the feel of the first Doom game.

i'm actually confident that whatever id does with the music, it will work. maybe i might not like it, maybe i will. maybe trent, who imo is one of the greatest artists in the world, will be working on it, maybe not. we'll see what happens. hell, mebbe you can mp3 your music and assign it so it can play instead of the default music. now, for christ's sake, can we please stop discussing this and wait for the god damn game to come out?

Hockey_R00lz said:

I'M HEADING FOR THE LOSERS FORUM!!!!

you're also close to having some unnamed horror done to you by me.

Hockey_R00lz said:

i STILL want monkey music in doom 3

I want you losered, not banned...
/me waits for an admin to show up