Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
theunkonow mannddwqdw

how do i make my own mod?

Well, there's a LOT that goes into a complicated mod like Brutal Doom. Unfortunately the mod itself is a mess of code and disorganized folders last I saw. Using it as a base to learn from won't end well.

The core of any mod though is DECORATE. I suggest reading the ZDoom Wiki pages on creating new weapons to start with. A basic example thing to try is to just re-write a vanilla weapon to fire faster or something. Maybe download some things from R667 to look at in SLADE first.

Well the fact that you are asking how to make a mod as complicated as Brutal Doom indicates that you won't be able to make something like it until you learn everything else that goes into making a Doom mod. So to start:

• To make a mod like Brutal Doom, which adds (Some) new enemies, extends and upgrades Doom's existing enemies and adds new game mechanics, you will need to use a source port based on ZDoom since DeHackEd* is out of the question for something like this, you'll have to use DECORATE (Or ZScript, more on that later.) and ACS.
  • To get started with DECORATE I'd suggest reading through the links in this page on the ZDoom wiki, each link is roughly listed from top to bottom in order of complexity.
  • If you want to also target the Zandronum source port like Brutal Doom does then you don't have any choice besides using DECORATE and ACS anyway, which brings me to my last point.
  • DECORATE is actually deprecated now (In GZDoom.) in favour of ZScript, but Zandronum is based on a really old version of GZDoom and hasn't been updated in 3 years now, so it doesn't support ZScript, and even its' implementation of DECORATE is much older than GZDoom's. Plus it's best that you learn DECORATE first anyway since I'm guessing that you don't know much or anything about programming**, so it's best that you start with something simpler like DECORATE and once you get a good enough grasp of that, you can move over to ZScript. Unless like I said before you only want to make mods for Zandronum in which case you could probably just stick to DECORATE.

You may also want to join the (G)ZDoom Discord server, since there you can talk to others who know how to make mods and ask questions about any problems you may have that aren't mentioned on the wiki***.

3 hours ago, Nevander said:

The core of any mod though is DECORATE. 

Not anymore, not for GZDoom at least, nowadays the basis of any mod is ZScript, IIRC even the DECORATE code that GZDoom runs is converted and compiled into ZScript on startup.

*The only real way to make mods for vanilla Doom, though there are some extensions of DeHackEd like Boom's BEX which IIRC is supported by almost every source port. And DEHEXTRA which increases DeHackEd's limits and adds 2910 new states or code pointers.
**Which is what ZScript pretty much is.
***Oh also keep in mind that you'll get at least a few responces in the server to just use ZScript instead, and probably get guided into trying to use ZScript right off the bat as well.

Edited by inkoalawetrust : Added a responce

10 hours ago, theunkonow mannddwqdw said:

so i want to make a mod like brutal doom,i can't find so much tutorials thats i come here

Make everything step by step.

Need to make a custom weapon? Search for custom weapon tutorial. Now you need to make a custom enemy? Search for custom enemy tutorial. Etc.

There is no tutorial "How to make Brutal Doom", if you understand what I am mean.

or you can study how it's made the Supercharge mod by Tango.

It's well organized, inside.

Actually I'm using it for studying ZScript and DECORATE.

18 hours ago, theunkonow mannddwqdw said:

so i want to make a mod like brutal doom,i can't find so much tutorials thats i come here

Lots went into the creation of Brutal DOOM, new actors and new weapons with new ammo, etc. Many people dismiss it out of hand, but there is no denying that it is a conglomeration of ingenious imaginings.

While playing Brutal Doom can be a hoot, it is a messy patchwork of related lumps in no particular order underneath the "hood". To be able to pull something similar off, you need to absorb many different concepts, all found in the ZDoom Wiki . Then, of course, you also will need inspiration and talent to make the graphical content and how to use a graphics app successfully.

Load BD into Slade3, drawing inspiration from and studying the contents of every lump for hints, having the Wiki open at the same time doing searches for the various terms used.

5 hours ago, Kappes Buur said:

Load BD into Slade3, drawing inspiration from and studying the contents of every lump for hints, having the Wiki open at the same time doing searches for the various terms used.

That may not be too good of an idea since as Nevander pointed out Brutal Doom is mess internally that is barely legible to someone who already knows DECORATE and ACS let alone someone who is just getting started. And as you probably already know this is because of a mix of it just being written that poorly and using really old code that Mark had written up to all the way back in 2012, among others. Something that Mark himself knows and has acknowledged since the last version of Brutal Doom (V22) will just be a large code overhaul and cleanup. Which is great because I was dissapointed when I found out that BD Lite was just a glorified weapon mod with some extra gore instead of a cleaner version of Brutal Doom. 

So studying some of the actors from Realm667 instead like Nevander suggested may be a better idea, since they are usually written in a less messy manner and you don't have to deal with the overwhelming amount of code and assets that Brutal Doom has*. Though some actors on R667 are pretty old, with the old actors in there using now deprecated functions like A_FireCustomMissile at best and straight up being written in the old DECORATE format from the mid to early 2000s at worst, before the format was changed and DECORATE was significantly expanded at, if I recall correctly, around 2010.

*And which it would have even it wasn't written with a mix of Zandronum's ancient DECORATE implementation and ACS, since I doubt something that does as much as Brutal Doom would be a small mod even if it was made with the very latest version of ZScript as of GZDoom 4.5.0

5 hours ago, theunkonow mannddwqdw said:

guys i only want to add extra blood thats it nothing more and replace sounds

Then research the links given.

Why do you want to add extra blood and replace sounds, either way?

6 hours ago, theunkonow mannddwqdw said:

In that case look no further than NashBlood (nashblud2.pk3) or

even more blood splatter NashGore (nashgore.pk3).

https://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=69771

https://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=50448

https://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?t=62641

Edited by Kappes Buur

12 hours ago, theunkonow mannddwqdw said:

You can use Slade3 to replace sounds. If you open Doom2.wad you’ll be able to find all the sounds inside. Copy the ones you want to edit into a new wad, then replace them as necessary with your new sounds. Save your new wad with the sounds inside, you should then be able to load it and hear your new sounds in-game.

13 hours ago, theunkonow mannddwqdw said:

Doomkid’s advice about sound replacement is the right way to go about it. If you said what you just said here because you were overwhelmed by the stuff everyone was sharing here... then there’s an easier alternative to adding in more blood that requires nothing more than extracting the sprites with the same program Doomkid mentioned, then opening them in an art editor, adding more red pixels, and then basically you just make sure they share the same name as the original sprite if you’re wanting the game to load up different images.

This is only cosmetic of course. No new effect, just edited artwork. If you want more advanced blood and gore that changes the behavior of the blood and gore effects, then you’re going to have to lace up your boots and get to reading all those links and the information within them, study other mod files, etc. 

Nashgore is definitely something I recommend downloading if all you want is some more blood. It basically makes the gore effects very similar to the game Blood, or at least that’s what I’ve always thought it felt like. So lots of blood. That would save you the trouble if you decide you don’t want to go through with this in the long run. 

Edited by Gerolf

14 hours ago, theunkonow mannddwqdw said:

In that case as others have said you should just use Nashgore, or if you want something closer to Brutal Doom's gore (Since you said you want a mod like BD, which now that we know that you just want extra gore I'm guessing probably means that you want something like BD's gore.) you can download and use Bolognese, which is basically a standalone version of Brutal Doom's gore made by SGTMKIV.

On 12/23/2020 at 7:21 AM, LuciferSam86 said:

or you can study how it's made the Supercharge mod by Tango.

It's well organized, inside.

Actually I'm using it for studying ZScript and DECORATE.

Ayyy, same! I've been messing around with Supercharge's decorate and turned off reloading for some weapons.