Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
baja blast rd.

Post Your Opinions About Doom (Whether Controversial or Not)

I enjoy E4 more than all of Doom 2. The limitations (which weren't much, but still) demanded tighter level design and smarter placement. It just seemed like, with more room to breathe, Doom 2's levels are just big for no good reason. Doom 2's vaguely Earthlike art make all the levels seem drab. As for the added monsters and weapons... I could take them or leave them.

7 minutes ago, Bucket said:

I enjoy E4 more than all of Doom 2. The limitations (which weren't much, but still) demanded tighter level design and smarter placement. It just seemed like, with more room to breathe, Doom 2's levels are just big for no good reason. Doom 2's vaguely Earthlike art make all the levels seem drab. As for the added monsters and weapons... I could take them or leave them.

I prefer E2, since it bridges between the well-recieved E1 and the controversial E3, blending the design, but has different unique gameplay from both. Haven't actually finished E4, since I got a bit bored playing Ultimate Doom.

11 hours ago, Gustavo6046 said:

american mcgee did nothing wrong

I agree. McGee is underrated as people mostly give importance to Romero or Sandy but rarely talk about McGee. Map02 to Map06 of Doom 2 are solid levels with good flow. Map14 is also a great level.

But then again, this could be because I am personally a fan of McGee's/Mustaine's style of levels.

Edited by ReaperAA

58 minutes ago, ReaperAA said:

I agree. McGee is underrated as people most give importance to Romero or Sandy but rarely talk about McGee. Map02 to Map06 of Doom 2 are solid levels with good flow. Map14 is also a great level.

Underhalls gang assemble.

21 hours ago, TheHambourgeois said:

sandy petersen did nothing wrong

I'm not sure that is regarded as controversial. I'd say Petersen's style is divisive rather than controversial.

But "nothing wrong" is a dangerous statement to be brandishing, just sayin'. :P

Sandy's maps are not always pretty, or fun, or whatever; but they always explored new ideas, pushing the boundaries of what a Doom map could be, how it could look like, how it could play. Some of the gimmicks are annoying and they detract from the "sense of place" that KDitD for example managed to have despite its abstractness; but ultimately the game is better for having them, yes even the bad ones you don't like.

2 hours ago, Gez said:

Sandy's maps are not always pretty, or fun, or whatever; but they always explored new ideas, pushing the boundaries of what a Doom map could be, how it could look like, how it could play. Some of the gimmicks are annoying and they detract from the "sense of place" that KDitD for example managed to have despite its abstractness; but ultimately the game is better for having them, yes even the bad ones you don't like.

As someone currently going through Ep 3 for the first time...  I'm not fond of the early maps. E3M1 & M2 were not the most pleasant, especially E3M1's pistol vs 2 cacos. However, I can see where you're coming from about the game being better for having them. That said, I prefer E1 & 2 over E3 (I'm at E3M6 now). 

6 hours ago, Valboom said:

I don't like classic HUD.

I fail to see how this is controversial. Matter of fact, most who avidly play DOOM nowadays use minimalist HUDs offered by modern source ports.

Now here's my hot take; I prefer the classic 90's FPS games HUDs that tell me how much health, armor, ammo, what keys, items, etc. I have, rather than minimalist modern HUDs. Bonus point if it has a face display.

I think The Chasm is a good level, but then, I don't mind taking it slow.

17 hours ago, ReaperAA said:

I agree. McGee is underrated as people mostly give importance to Romero or Sandy but rarely talk about McGee.

I love E4M1, it's such a cruel ballbuster on UV, and it's all in a tight space, it's one of my favorites. Map06 is good too, I love its aesthetics. McGee's maps are genuinely just great, and even greater still in Quake.

10 minutes ago, InDOOMnesia said:

Bonus point if it has a face display.

I like minimalist HUDs, but if possible, I always want the face display. NC-HUD is one of my favorite addons to use for GzDoom

The issue with the classic HUD is how the status bar limits your vertical FOV. There will be enemies up on ledges, that are in autoaim range, that you cannot see but they can see and attack you. Here's an example in map02 of Lunatic: Advanced HUD, Classic HUD.

Then I guess I am backwards.

I am really not fond of the advanced HUD, apart from a few custom mods and Hexetic. It feels so strange to me to look and move around with the SSG or Shotgun while it's active.

My gripe with the advanced HUD is it doesn't display how much ammo your other weapons have

Edited by paturn

Is considering the SSG too powerful considered controversial? Or is it just a divisive issue?

Because I find it a tad too stronk.

3 hours ago, paturn said:

My gripe with the advanced HUD is it doesn't display how much ammo your other weapons have

This is one of the issues I have with the advanced(Boom) HUD. Other than that, the layout of the Boom HUD just doesn't do it for me.

On the other hand, I actually like ZDoom's alternate HUD, since that one is more cleaner and still tells me ammo of all my weapons as well. I wish PrBoom+ had something like the ZDoom's alternate HUD.

Screenshot with ZDoom's alternate HUD

Spoiler

Screenshot_Doom_20191026_160420.png.b9f78dc6bbe7edcd424ca2dc5113e383.png

2 minutes ago, ReaperAA said:

This is one of the issues I have with the advanced(Boom) HUD. Other than that, the layout of the Boom HUD just doesn't do it for me.

On the other hand, I actually like ZDoom's alternate HUD, since that one is more cleaner and still tells me ammo of all my weapons as well. I wish PrBoom+ had something like the ZDoom's alternate HUD.

Screenshot with ZDoom's alternate HUD

Hide contents

Screenshot_Doom_20191026_160420.png.b9f78dc6bbe7edcd424ca2dc5113e383.png

I couldn't agree more. I prefer (G)ZDoom's alternative hud to even the classical hud. It displays all the necessary info without taking much of the screen. 

But on PrBoom+, I feel forced to play with the classical hud because of the reasons you mentioned. For uniformity sake, I play with the classic hud all the time

For me, my problem with PrBoom's advanced HUD is that I use doomguy's portrait to aim, since the gun sprite doesn't always line up with the center of the screen when holding fire. I don't understand how people aim with the advanced HUD.

3 hours ago, Arbys550 said:

I don't understand how people aim with the advanced HUD.

They use a crosshair. :P I haven't played Doom without one since vanilla in the 90's.

Is regarding DOOM 2's MAP10 - Refueling Base as the best map in the megawad controversial? Because I love the shit out of that one.

36 minutes ago, Cinnamon Killjoy said:

Is regarding DOOM 2's MAP10 - Refueling Base as the best map in the megawad controversial? Because I love the shit out of that one.

Not sure if it's controversial, but people don't think too much of it. Moreover, Hall's and Petersen's maps are some of the least favorite maps among fans (this one was started by Hall, but got finished by Petersen). Fun fact; it is the only DOOM 2 map from the 0.5 alpha version of OG DOOM.

1 hour ago, InDOOMnesia said:

Hall's and Petersen's maps are some of the least favorite maps among fans

Are they? Very well then. 

On average in Ultimate Doom and Doom 2, the Hall/Petersen levels are the best.

29 minutes ago, A.H. Sankhatayan said:

Are they? Very well then. 

On average in Ultimate Doom and Doom 2, the Hall/Petersen levels are the best.

1 hour ago, InDOOMnesia said:

Not sure if it's controversial, but people don't think too much of it. Moreover, Hall's and Petersen's maps are some of the least favorite maps among fans (this one was started by Hall, but got finished by Petersen). Fun fact; it is the only DOOM 2 map from the 0.5 alpha version of OG DOOM.

I think when it comes to Hall/Petersen in DOOM 1 especially, but also in regards to Petersen in DOOM 2, it's pretty divisive. I'm a bit on the fence. Petersen is so hit or miss, he made some of the best maps and some of the worst. Given the circumstances, however, I don't really blame the guy.

8 hours ago, Cinnamon Killjoy said:

I love it. I usually find that Hall/Romero and Hall/Petersen are my favorites in the iD .wads, makes you wonder how he Hall would have made maps just by himself if he had stayed on.

I think most Map 07 arena-only maps are effortless cop-outs on a mapper's part. Most, to me, all blend in monotony. I respect how some wads such as BTSX Ep.2 do their MAP 07, an arena at the end with a build-up to the final fight.

@Koff3Katt It's a common opinion that people don't think too highly of Dead Simple remixes. To be controversial, you need to praise classic map07's and IoS finales!